Old September 6th 15, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Getting hold of tube maps

This used to be a trivial matter of asking at a ticket office and sometimes
from racks at ticket offices.

Now that ticket offices are closing, how is it supposed to work?

I wanted to get an up-to-date tube map and had a little time before getting
my train at King's Cross yesterday so I descended into the bowels of the
tube station to look. Nothing in the original ticket hall so I went to the
Western Ticket Hall following signs to a Travel Office (or whatever). No
sign of a staffed facility and the few leaflets on offer were in larger than
tube maps racks on a wall.

So I asked at the gateline where a staff member offered me her somewhat
dogeared map. I asked if she had any new ones and she went over to a small
pile on the base of a signboard.

Is this what the best way of helping visitors round the tube system has come
down to now?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old September 6th 15, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:48:10 on Sun, 6 Sep 2015,
Mizter T remarked:
The Travel Centre/Office is at the far west of the building, at approx
ground level up a flight of stairs from the booking hall. It's mainly
for selling guided tours and such like to tourists, it's not really
about the tube.

Says who? (Apart from you.)

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/buying-tickets/visitor-and-travel-information-centres

The prominence of the "Attractions and Tours" on that web page, plus
seeing it when it's open and the looking at the range of information on
display and the fact it had a huge and very slowly moving queue. Quite
unsuitable for asking for advice about which tube train to catch. It's
all about getting the commission on the Tussauds tickets.

Old September 6th 15, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
This used to be a trivial matter of asking at a ticket office and
sometimes
from racks at ticket offices.

Now that ticket offices are closing, how is it supposed to work?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...arket&hl=en_GB

Works well for me - even without a data connection - and between 1 and 5
million others who have downloaded it.

I found myself at a loss for a NY Subway map when I was there a couple of
weeks back. Turns out there is a NY version of the same app.

Paper maps are so last decade.

--
DAS

Old September 6th 15, 06:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

D A Stocks wrote:
Paper maps are so last decade.

But the cost of catastrophic failure of a paper map following use in
heavy rain is so small compare with sizzle-sizzle-blank-screen

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old September 6th 15, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...and-travel-inf
ormation-centres

The prominence of the "Attractions and Tours" on that web page, plus
seeing it when it's open and the looking at the range of information
on display and the fact it had a huge and very slowly moving queue.
Quite unsuitable for asking for advice about which tube train to
catch. It's all about getting the commission on the Tussauds tickets.

Well, I followed the signs but they must have run out. I saw something
opposite the barriers with racks and assumed it must have closed.

Anyway, going up another set of stairs would have been something of a pain.
The new square in front of King's Cross may be larger than Leicester Square
but it doesn't have any cycle parking so I was having to carry my bike down
and up stairs. The staff member didn't point me to it either.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 7th 15, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, Sep 06, 2015 at 11:15:38AM -0500, wrote:

This used to be a trivial matter of asking at a ticket office and sometimes
from racks at ticket offices.

Now that ticket offices are closing, how is it supposed to work?

Google on your phone.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

fdisk format reinstall, doo-dah, doo-dah;
fdisk format reinstall, it's the Windows way