Old October 16th 15, 08:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Overground signage

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 00:27:16 +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

I notice that Southbury station, on the line to Cheshunt which the
Overground took over a few months ago, has a new back-to-back roundel on
the front of the station. It looks a bit like this

but without the stalk, so it's just sticking out from the side of the
building. It's orange and blue and has OVERGROUND (or is it Overground?)
written in a noticeably larger font than this one, and it looks rather
splendid.

Kind of like
https://goo.gl/maps/7ACkxcxs7zo ?

Old October 16th 15, 09:45 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default London Poor Redevelopment (was Overground signage)

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 10:07:45 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2015\10\16 09:58, David Walters wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 00:27:16 +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

I notice that Southbury station, on the line to Cheshunt which the
Overground took over a few months ago, has a new back-to-back roundel on
the front of the station. It looks a bit like this

but without the stalk, so it's just sticking out from the side of the
building. It's orange and blue and has OVERGROUND (or is it Overground?)
written in a noticeably larger font than this one, and it looks rather
splendid.

Kind of like
https://goo.gl/maps/7ACkxcxs7zo ?

Precisely, thanks.

This is great corporate image artwork. Sadly, it is on a terrible
example of urban redevelopment

Take a look at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tetram...reconnections/

Wapping Station and the surrounding buildings fit the same foot print
as their predecessors. But, they are no denser or higher. Just two
more floors on each building could have added so much more work or
living space.
Old October 16th 15, 09:56 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Isn't the station the same building with new cladding?

--
Graeme Wall

Old October 16th 15, 09:58 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 16/10/2015 10:45, e27002 aurora wrote:

This is great corporate image artwork. Sadly, it is on a terrible
example of urban redevelopment

Take a look at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tetram...reconnections/

Wapping Station and the surrounding buildings fit the same foot print
as their predecessors. But, they are no denser or higher. Just two
more floors on each building could have added so much more work or
living space.

Isn't that somewhat due to the nature of the tunnels underneath being of
unprovable strength due to their age and method of construction?
Old October 16th 15, 10:01 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 10:58:02 +0100, Someone Somewhere
wrote:

On 16/10/2015 10:45, e27002 aurora wrote:

This is great corporate image artwork. Sadly, it is on a terrible
example of urban redevelopment

Take a look at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tetram...reconnections/

Wapping Station and the surrounding buildings fit the same foot print
as their predecessors. But, they are no denser or higher. Just two
more floors on each building could have added so much more work or
living space.

Isn't that somewhat due to the nature of the tunnels underneath being of
unprovable strength due to their age and method of construction?

You make a valid point.
Old October 16th 15, 12:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2015\10\16 12:42, wrote:
On 16.10.15 0:27, Basil Jet wrote:

I notice that Southbury station, on the line to Cheshunt which the
Overground took over a few months ago, has a new back-to-back roundel on
the front of the station. It looks a bit like this

but without the stalk, so it's just sticking out from the side of the
building. It's orange and blue and has OVERGROUND (or is it Overground?)
written in a noticeably larger font than this one, and it looks rather
splendid. I don't think I've ever seen one on any of the other
Overground lines. It's not lit yet, and neither is the flat roundel on
the bridge at Theobald's Grove, which has had a wire to nowhere hanging
down from it for about a month now.

I can't remember if I posted this a few weeks ago, but my spirit soars
every time I see a train in Overground livery passing over a bridge.
Something about that orange is just great. London Transport missed a
trick when they picked red as their colour.

My favourite Overground roundel is at Shoreditch High Street,
approaching from the south side at night; The illiuminated roundel, high
up against a black background, is quite a site.

Google shows that they have the back-to-back roundels at Hoxton and
Dalston Junction too. Any on the WLL or NLL, or south of the river?