Old November 25th 15, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London's Great Northern Hotel

Robin9 wrote:
I can well believe that water industry professionals dislike the
widespread abandonment of hot water tanks, but in a country
where new homes (and rooms within homes) become ever smaller,
hot water tanks take up too much space.

The problem is probably not water but electricity.

We are all supposed to stop using gas over the next 30 years or so. So
an awful lot of gas combi boilers have to be replaced by electric
systems. But the sun is often not shining when people want lots of hot
water (eg winter mornings and evenings) so if the wind isn't blowing it
can't be done with renewables. Well-insulated hot water tanks might
allow the water to be heated in advance. But of course the green lobby
and the Ministers who jumped on their bandwagon never factored in the
massive cost of fitting large tanks in millions of homes. (Nor the
"night storage heaters" to fill the gap left by loss of gas central
heating.)

I predict an impact on TfL: Freedom Passes will also have to go else TfL
services will be overwhelmed by wrinklies riding Zone 1 all day in order
to keep warm But I'll be long dead and burnt by then

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old November 25th 15, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:33:31 on Wed, 25 Nov
2015, Robin remarked:

I can well believe that water industry professionals dislike the
widespread abandonment of hot water tanks, but in a country
where new homes (and rooms within homes) become ever smaller,
hot water tanks take up too much space.

The problem is probably not water but electricity.

We are all supposed to stop using gas over the next 30 years or so. So
an awful lot of gas combi boilers have to be replaced by electric
systems. But the sun is often not shining when people want lots of hot
water (eg winter mornings and evenings) so if the wind isn't blowing it
can't be done with renewables. Well-insulated hot water tanks might
allow the water to be heated in advance.

I've got what I regard as a perfectly normal hot water tank, albeit a
fairly modern design rather than copper plus a badly fitting quilt. It
keeps the water hot enough not to notice the boiler's been accidentally
switched off for a over a day.

But of course the green lobby and the Ministers who jumped on their
bandwagon never factored in the massive cost of fitting large tanks in
millions of homes. (Nor the "night storage heaters" to fill the gap
left by loss of gas central heating.)

We can, of course, use our immersion heaters for the bathwater; but
going electric for space heating is a bigger challenge. Not least
because the national and local distribution networks are unlikely to be
up to it - they are predicted not to be able to cope with more than a
token number of charge-at-home electric cars either.
Old November 26th 15, 08:23 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 11:23:05 +0000, Robert

On 2015-11-22 11:14:32 +0000, Railsigns.uk said:

On Sunday, 22 November 2015 09:48:01 UTC, e27002 wrote:

Expresso and tea were available in abundance

What's "Expresso"?

An Italian fast train...?

Very drole Robert.
Old November 26th 15, 08:27 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 03:59:55 -0800 (PST), furnessvale
wrote:

On Sunday, 22 November 2015 09:48:01 UTC, e27002 wrote:
So, SNIP

Sorry to nitpick but one of my pet hates is people who begin a sentence (in
speech) with "So".

Is it now entering the written language and has it got any grammatical or
linguistic justification?

Sorry again, I'll go back under my bridge!

George

So, George, you are, like, apologizing for being right? :-)
Old November 26th 15, 08:33 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 13:55:17 -0800 (PST), Chris Miles-Patrick Date
wrote:

I've spent 30 minutes in a suite of the GN Hotel during the day and was also surprised at how quiet it was from the elements of the Euston Road outside!

*not as a guest but snooping with a friend, I live 15 mins away from KX on the Tube so staying as a guest at a luxury hotel when my own bed is within quilt distance is a tad illogical!

With the drapes drawn it was hard to believe one was in London.
Although looking out of the pantry window on Sunday morning, the sight
of two heavily armed Bobbies was a reminder.

Old November 26th 15, 08:43 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 08:12:34 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 18:03:11 on
Sun, 22 Nov 2015, e27002 aurora remarked:
There can't be many people who feel inclined to comment on the
excellence or otherwise of a hotel room's plumbing

Or its supply of hot water. I've only stayed at two hotels (out of
several hundreds) which ran out of hot water.

The first was in Maidenhead in around 1980 and had suffered a one-off
major outage of some kind. The other was Sharm-el-Sheikh in 2009 where
no-one appeared to be that surprised that the system had broken down yet
again.

Given how well travelled you are, Roland, one is surprised you have
not noticed the quality of the mains pressure water systems found in
those United States. One of the things that attracted me to my unit
here on the south coast was the absence of the usual low pressure UK
plumbing. My shower here works as well as my shower in Tucson. That
is hardly the norm for the UK.

Yes, there are many hotel showers which don't deliver their hot water at
high pressure, but that doesn't bother me.

Cleanliness is next to G_dliness. I like a real, hi-volume,
hi-pressure, hot water shower. :-)
Old November 26th 15, 08:46 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 09:01:46 +0000, Guy Gorton
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 18:03:11 +0000, e27002 aurora
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 17:24:25 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at
08:44:47 on Sun, 22 Nov 2015, Railsigns.uk
[...]

It is attractive until the day the mains water system ceases to flow
into the premises for whatever reason - planned/unplanned.
My late sister-in-law's house was mains-only and it was not a happy
solution - add being coupled to a combi boiler and the water system
was useless.

Guy Gorton

That would be true Mr. Gorton. It has not happened to me yet. I
have a tank with immersion heaters. But, without mains pressure it
would not function.
Old November 26th 15, 08:53 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 16:56:00 -0800, Nobody wrote:

On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 11:31:02 +0000, Recliner
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 22:23:03 +0000, Adrian
wrote:

In message , Roland Perry
writes
Or its supply of hot water. I've only stayed at two hotels (out of
several hundreds) which ran out of hot water.

The first was in Maidenhead in around 1980 and had suffered a one-off
major outage of some kind. The other was Sharm-el-Sheikh in 2009 where
no-one appeared to be that surprised that the system had broken down
yet again.

I stayed in one in Weymouth (the name of which I've forgotten) four
years ago where the hot and cold water stopped. Fortunately the
bath/sink appeared to be on a different supply to the cistern. It was
back after a couple of days.

I stayed in a very smart hotel recently where both the hot and cold
water failed for a while. However, as it was in Livingstone, Zambia, I
suppose that's not unusual. It also had slightly unusual lawn mowers:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...7660656194221/

We were warned that though they look cute, they are also very
bad-tempered, and it was inadvisable to get too close if we didn't
want to get kicked. There were also giraffes in the hotel grounds,
though I failed to get a picture of them.

At least Canada geese are laid back. But the self-fertilising of
lawns can be problematic.

In Reno, NV Canada geese are a plague. I did some work for the
state-wide energy company and lived there for five years. The
companies 2HQ head extensive grounds with streams, trees, et al.
During the winter months we played host to large numbers of Canadian
Geese. Walking from the parking lot to the office entailed finding
uncovered pieces of tarmac on which to walk.
Old November 26th 15, 08:54 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:43:26 on
Thu, 26 Nov 2015, e27002 aurora remarked:

there are many hotel showers which don't deliver their hot water at
high pressure, but that doesn't bother me.

Cleanliness is next to G_dliness. I like a real, hi-volume,
hi-pressure, hot water shower. :-)

Hi-pressure showers don't make you any cleaner, they just waste water.