Old December 26th 15, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Bermondsey station (Surrey Canal Road)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Be...ailway_station

"Construction work is likely to start before the end of 2015"

Did it start? When is the station due to open?

Old December 26th 15, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

My mother, who would have been 100 on Christmas Eve if she were still alive, lived close to the Peckham arm as a child. I remember there being a hump in a road visible from a bus where the road passed over the route of the canal. I think it was finally removed some years ago.

Surely the canal would have carried timber from the docks, not to them as the article says?
Old December 26th 15, 03:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 3:04:37 PM UTC, wrote:
My mother, who would have been 100 on Christmas Eve if she were still alive, lived close to the Peckham arm as a child. I remember there being a hump in a road visible from a bus where the road passed over the route of the canal. I think it was finally removed some years ago.

Surely the canal would have carried timber from the docks, not to them as the article says?

Family legend has it that between 1920-1940 my maternal grandfather was retained by two boroughs (not sure which) to pull human and animal corpses out of the canal; he got five bob from one and seven-and-six from the other, and, so the story goes, if a body was near the borough boundary he was not averse to prior to recovery punting it along with his long pole until it crossed into the highing-paying borough.
Old December 26th 15, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 4:32:22 PM UTC, contrex wrote:
highing-paying borough.

That's 'higher-paying borough'...
Old January 1st 16, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:00:26 on Fri, 1 Jan 2016,
" remarked:

Are any canals being used or starting to find use as commercial
waterways for the shipment of goods?

The coal traffic in East Yorkshire (eg Calder and Hebble etc) may have
ceased by now, but the Manchester Ship Canal still has commercial
traffic.

Inland, the speed and carrying capacity of a narrowboat has been pretty
much superseded by road transport (itself superseding rail), unless the
goods you refer to are holidaymakers.