Old April 15th 16, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail - poor interchanges. Now he tells us

In message , at
03:35:41 on Fri, 15 Apr 2016, Mark remarked:
The problem wit the old station was inadequate platform widths (and
quite possibly now, platform lengths).

It's true that in rush hours it used to get rather overcrowded, though I
don't ever recall it being dangerously so. But if reopened it would
essentially only serve those wanting to change to Vic and Picc lines,
and perhaps a very few wanting to reach the Pentonville Road, not those
wanting the main line stations so it would surely be less than half as
popular.

For that you'd need to rename the station to something very confusing, surely?
"Kings Cross Thameslink for Victoria and Piccadilly lines but not Kings Cross but also Pentonville Road"? :-)

"Kings Cross Thameslink South" smaller "for Victoria/Piccadilly Line and
Pentonville Rd".

As for 12-coach trains, well selective door opening works on
other lines at short platforms.

It's possible though that on "new" Thameslink there'll be greater use of it as
a metro style line through the core due to the high frequency. That's probably why the new trains have a low seating density. Selective door
opening is a pain anywhere, but four (?) carriages off the platform at somewhere like Kings Cross would be a real pain I think!

I agree.

Old April 15th 16, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
08:03:58 on Fri, 15 Apr 2016,
remarked:
On 14/04/2016 14:31, Roland Perry wrote:
The problem wit the old station was inadequate platform widths (and
quite possibly now, platform lengths).

It's true that in rush hours it used to get rather overcrowded,
though I don't ever recall it being dangerously so. But if reopened
it would essentially only serve those wanting to change to Vic and
Picc lines, and perhaps a very few wanting to reach the Pentonville
Road, not those wanting the main line stations so it would surely be
less than half as popular. As for 12-coach trains, well selective
door opening works on other lines at short platforms.

I remember it being dangerous when I needed to catch not the next train
but the second one.

I recall it being almost impossible in the evening to get off the
train from City Thameslink[1] and walk to the tube because the
platform was so full of people waiting for a train to Bedfordshire.

[1] I used to visit people with offices near there, a lot.

Yes, I think that's what I meant. Because not everyone on the platform
wanted the train I was getting off, it was a struggle to get through the
crowds and off the platform. Everything was substandard for the usage it had
by then. It would be even worse now.

--
Colin Rosenstiel