Old May 8th 16, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mayor Sadiq

Offramp wrote:
The media keep describing him as the first muslim mayor, but there have
only been two others!

Rather more than that. He's the first Moslem mayor of *any* Western capital
city, not just London.

He's also the Brit with the largest-ever personal mandate:
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-...tical-history/

Old May 8th 16, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 08:59:56 on Sun, 8 May 2016, Recliner
remarked:
He's also the Brit with the largest-ever personal mandate:
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-...tical-history/

1.3m votes (including second preference) from a City of 8.5m people only
5.5m have registered to vote is not that big of an endorsement.

But as an out-of-London person, I'll be doing my best to keep him to his
very clear promise not to increase TfL fares for the next four years.

Not a big bus user currently, but his promise of transferable fares for
an hour is also something which might well make me use them more.

Old May 9th 16, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Sun, 8 May
2016 15:06:07 in uk.transport.london, Paul Corfield
writes
On Fri, 6 May 2016 18:39:37 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

[snip]
The word "bus" was mentioned 7 times in his manifesto (yes I did
check). Six of those mentions were in connection with the 1 hour
ticket proposals. There are NO policies that support the expansion or
the improvement of the bus network. "Maintaining the quality" is as
far as it got.

I had missed Sadiq's policy on bus fares, before Paul referred to it.
It is in http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net...b9526a21db3279
000001/attachments/original/1457451016/x160668_Sadiq_Khan_Manifesto.pdf?
1457451016
It says he will "Freeze TfL transport fares for four years and introduce
a one-hour bus ‘Hopper’ ticket ..."
I guess that could be loaded on Oyster cards.
I currently have
11:46 Bus journey, route 21 £1.50 £9.40
11:28 Bus journey, route 100 £1.50 £10.90
Presumably I could have
12:30 Bus journey, route 43 £1.50 £9.40
11:46 Bus journey, route 21 £0.00 £10.90
11:28 Bus journey, route 100 £1.50 £10.90

I trust bus validators are capable of the additional logic.
Paul referred somewhere to cancellation of a project to replace
validators. Contactless should be no problem as pricing seems tobe a
batch operation, rather than being done in real time.

He does not address contactless being potentially cheaper than Ouster.
(The former supports Monday-Sunday caps; the latter does not.)

Caroline Pidgeon has had similar ideas for ages. Ottawa had similar
charding 25 years ago. Better late than never.

By the way, I looked at the Additional Member Figures.
(I had to do the calculations, myself. London Elects will show them,
real soon( Wikipedia (London Assembly elections, 2016) agrees with my
numbers. The last elected additional member will sit for UKIP with a
quotient of 85534. The Women's Equality Party, having got a 3.6% share,
was excluded for not managing 5%. Their quotient would have been 91772.
Tories have been bleating about Barnet; WEP seems to have maintained a
dignified silence. (No, I did not vote for them
--
Walter Briscoe
Old May 9th 16, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:02:08 on Mon, 9
May 2016, Walter Briscoe remarked:
It says he will "Freeze TfL transport fares for four years and introduce
a one-hour bus ‘Hopper’ ticket ..."

Is the Hopper one hour between first and last touch-in, given that
people don't touch *out*?
Old May 9th 16, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:46:23 on
Mon, 9 May 2016, Paul Corfield remarked:
As we have no commercial product definition for the "Hopper Ticket" it
is impossible to say whether the technology currently on buses and in
central systems can support the new product. I could speculate in all
sorts of ways as to how it could work but there'd be no point. My
only observation would be that I can't see that it will be a "quick
fix" issue taking only weeks to introduce.

If it's based on the current hardware, then an "hourly cap" would seem
to fit the bill, and the Oyster daily capping software is already in
place (isn't it?)
Old May 9th 16, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:46:23 on
Mon, 9 May 2016, Paul Corfield remarked:
As we have no commercial product definition for the "Hopper Ticket" it
is impossible to say whether the technology currently on buses and in
central systems can support the new product. I could speculate in all
sorts of ways as to how it could work but there'd be no point. My
only observation would be that I can't see that it will be a "quick
fix" issue taking only weeks to introduce.

If it's based on the current hardware, then an "hourly cap" would seem
to fit the bill, and the Oyster daily capping software is already in
place (isn't it?)

Yes, the logic for an hourly cap seems simple enough, although I suppose
there's bound to be some strange edge cases.

Given that he also promises to freeze fares, I wonder how he plans to make
up the revenue loss?

Old May 9th 16, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 15:30:53 on Mon, 9 May 2016, Recliner
remarked:
As we have no commercial product definition for the "Hopper Ticket" it
is impossible to say whether the technology currently on buses and in
central systems can support the new product. I could speculate in all
sorts of ways as to how it could work but there'd be no point. My
only observation would be that I can't see that it will be a "quick
fix" issue taking only weeks to introduce.

If it's based on the current hardware, then an "hourly cap" would seem
to fit the bill, and the Oyster daily capping software is already in
place (isn't it?)

Yes, the logic for an hourly cap seems simple enough, although I suppose
there's bound to be some strange edge cases.

Given that he also promises to freeze fares, I wonder how he plans to make
up the revenue loss?

Stuffing ever more passengers onto the existing buses and tubes?