Old June 17th 16, 07:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kahn fares u-turn

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:05:38 on Thu, 16 Jun 2016,
tim... remarked:
They are, if it means more profits for their (US-based) airlines, while
freezing out all but a couple of European-based airlines from the
routes.

Eh

US based airlines only exist in the US, there is about 170 countries
outside the EU that will want flights to the UK

The single busiest route is Heathrow-New York, and then there's all the
other US hubs.

I really don't understand why it is that you are introducing pointless, but
commonly know, facts into a discussion on us leaving the EU *forcing* fares
up.

What relevance has his tiny point to your original premise?

I really can't see it

please show your working?

I can just see that EU "interference" in the market might make flying
intra-EU fares cheaper [1] (I don't buy it, but it might), but what possible
effect can any EU meddling have on flights between two non-EU countries?

tim

[1] If anything the requirement for paying delay/cancelation compensation
will make it more expensive. (FTAOD I think those compensation requirements
are a good thing)

Old June 17th 16, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:03:43 on Fri, 17 Jun
2016, tim... remarked:
I can just see that EU "interference" in the market might make flying
intra-EU fares cheaper [1] (I don't buy it, but it might),

I don't buy it either - along with most other commentators and several
of the airlines involved, I think fares will go up.

but what possible effect can any EU meddling have on flights between
two non-EU countries?

They aren't going to be "meddling" as you put it, but we will be
*removing* ourselves from arrangements the EU have negotiated on our
behalf to facilitate more/cheaper UK-USA flights. We will have to
re-negotiate, and with much less bargaining power are almost certain to
get a worse deal.

Of course some people think that the independence to negotiate these
sorts of things for ourself is a good thing, but it's naive to assume
that we'll end up with a more advantageous arrangement as a result.
Old June 17th 16, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 17:02:16 +0100
"D A Stocks" wrote:
wrote in message ...
Both Luton and Gatwick are miles out of London with arguably dodgy rail
and
crowded motorway links, yet they're both very popular. There has to be
more
to it than location and the train.

Further back in the thread you said something about Stansted and its fast
rail link to London. Actually that's 4 trains/hour to Liverpool Street
which, to most of London, is somewhere on the eastern border of the City of
London that's not much fun to get to. There is also a connection to the
Victoria Line at Tottenham Hale.

Liverpool street is in the centre of the City. Its **** easy to get to on
the tube. Certainly no harder than KX or St P.

Against that the "arguably dodgy" rail link from Gatwick to London has:

10 trains/hour to Victoria
4 trains/hour to London Bridge
4 trains/hour to Blackfriars/Farringdon/King's X then Bedford

So you're seeking to compare 18 trains/hour to various parts of
central/south London vs 4 trains/hour to Liverpool St (as previously
described).

I'm guessing the problems on Southern have passed you by. Endless delays and
cancelled trains.

I can't speak for Luton but it probably has better rail access to London and
the fact that it's not in East Anglia working in its favour.

The station is also almost a mile away from the airport entrance.

--
Spud

Old June 17th 16, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 08:03:43 on Fri, 17 Jun 2016,
tim... remarked:
I can just see that EU "interference" in the market might make flying
intra-EU fares cheaper [1] (I don't buy it, but it might),

I don't buy it either - along with most other commentators and several of
the airlines involved, I think fares will go up.

I think you misunderstand my point.

I was talking about flights between the remaining EU countries (after we
have left) being cheaper than similar types of flights from a non-EU
European country (which we will then be) to an EU one specifically because
of EU meddling. Obviously there will be price differentials caused by the
(lack of) popularity of the destination and differences in airport fees
imposed by the countries concerned.

but what possible effect can any EU meddling have on flights between two
non-EU countries?

They aren't going to be "meddling" as you put it, but we will be
*removing* ourselves from arrangements the EU have negotiated on our
behalf to facilitate more/cheaper UK-USA flights.

Then you should have been clearer at the start.

not for one minute did I think that your first point about flight prices
going up when/if we leave the EU was about the price of UK-US flights.

I naturally thought that you meant it to refer to UK - rest of EU flights,
and every one of my comments since then has been based upon that
understanding.

We will have to re-negotiate, and with much less bargaining power are
almost certain to get a worse deal.

as the single limiting resource that everybody wants are slots at LHR, how
can we possibly have such a poor hand that we get a worse deal?

Of course some people think that the independence to negotiate these sorts
of things for ourself is a good thing, but it's naive to assume that we'll
end up with a more advantageous arrangement as a result.

More advantageous doesn't always mean cheaper

tim