Old September 22nd 16, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another one bites the dust

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 19:06:59 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
as a premium service - this was during the era when occasionally they would
fly concord on this route

Eh?? Was the concord maintenance base in manchester or something?

--
Spud

Old September 22nd 16, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:30:46 on Thu, 22 Sep
2016, d remarked:

as a premium service - this was during the era when occasionally they would
fly concord on this route

Eh?? Was the concord maintenance base in manchester or something?

Filton, more likely.

I expect a trip to Manchester would be a positioning move for a charter
flight later in the day.
Old September 22nd 16, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:20:29 on
Thu, 22 Sep 2016, Recliner remarked:
as a premium service - this was during the era when occasionally they would
fly concord on this route

Eh?? Was the concord maintenance base in manchester or something?

Filton, more likely.

No, I don't think the BA Concordes were maintained at Filton. You
could see them parked at the Heathrow hangars (where one still lives).

Not for routine maintenance, but there indications that Filton was where
major spares were kept, and perhaps the aircraft flew there rather than
the spares being flown to Heathrow.

Old September 22nd 16, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:20:29 +0100
Recliner wrote:
No, it was one of the Shuttle goodies (which British Midland couldn't
offer). If they needed an extra Shuttle flight, Concorde was sometimes
the backup aircraft. For obvious reasons, this wasn't usually
advertised in advance, but I wonder if some people heard on the
grapevine. I once just missed travelling on one.

Given concordes fuel economy especially at sub sonic speeds, they must have
made a heavy loss on those short flights.

--
Spud

Old September 22nd 16, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
No, it was one of the Shuttle goodies (which British Midland couldn't
offer). If they needed an extra Shuttle flight, Concorde was sometimes
the backup aircraft. For obvious reasons, this wasn't usually
advertised in advance, but I wonder if some people heard on the
grapevine. I once just missed travelling on one.

Given concordes fuel economy especially at sub sonic speeds, they must
have
made a heavy loss on those short flights.

probably

it was a marketing gimmick, nothing more

tim

Old September 22nd 16, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
No, it was one of the Shuttle goodies (which British Midland couldn't
offer). If they needed an extra Shuttle flight, Concorde was sometimes
the backup aircraft. For obvious reasons, this wasn't usually
advertised in advance, but I wonder if some people heard on the
grapevine. I once just missed travelling on one.

Given concordes fuel economy especially at sub sonic speeds, they must have
made a heavy loss on those short flights.

No doubt, but it helped persuade people to use the BA Shuttle. Also, fuel
was much cheaper in those days (this was around 1980-85).

Old September 22nd 16, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:20:29 on
Thu, 22 Sep 2016, Recliner remarked:
as a premium service - this was during the era when occasionally they would
fly concord on this route

Eh?? Was the concord maintenance base in manchester or something?

Filton, more likely.

No, I don't think the BA Concordes were maintained at Filton. You
could see them parked at the Heathrow hangars (where one still lives).

Not for routine maintenance, but there indications that Filton was where
major spares were kept, and perhaps the aircraft flew there rather than
the spares being flown to Heathrow.

It would probably be a lot cheaper to bring the spares to Heathrow by road.

Balham: Buried by Time & Dust Offramp London Transport 2 June 5th 14 03:59 PM
Asbestos Dust from Brake Linings CJB London Transport 1 September 17th 09 07:18 AM
Dust? alex_t London Transport 19 December 7th 06 11:40 AM
And another one?? Peter Lawrence London Transport 5 July 21st 05 10:15 PM
Oyster Question (yes, another one!) Ian Jelf London Transport 8 February 27th 05 01:07 PM