Old September 21st 16, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Another one bites the dust

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 08:39:02 on Wed, 21 Sep 2016, Recliner
remarked:
On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 08:35:52 +0100
On 2016-09-20 22:07:54 +0000, Recliner said:

Huh? Luton is hardly any further out than Gatwick, and Newark is the
nearest trans-Atlantic airport to Manhattan.

A lot of people are put off Luton by the bus connection, sufficiently
so that LBC are looking at building some kind of rail shuttle thing.

LBC? Wow, Global Radio really are expanding their remit

Not sure how a rail shuttle would work unless its a cog railway given how
much higher the airport is compared to the MML.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...port-ends-bus-
transfers-fast-track-rail-link

"He said Luton was working closely with the Department for Transport to
remove barriers to rail travel to the airport,"

That's odd, it's the DfT which would have insisted on installing
barriers in the first place.

Old September 21st 16, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-20 22:07:54 +0000, Recliner said:

Huh? Luton is hardly any further out than Gatwick, and Newark is the
nearest trans-Atlantic airport to Manhattan.

A lot of people are put off Luton by the bus connection, sufficiently so
that LBC are looking at building some kind of rail shuttle thing. Which
is actually counterintuitive, as to some gates at Gatwick you walk almost
as far as the bus goes (well, probably not quite, but it feels like it),
there's the inter-terminal train, and at Luton bags are returned far, far
quicker than any other significantly sized airport (the reason for which
is the simplicity of the baggage system - it just involves two blokes and
a flatbed Transit).

That is the advantage of not having much (any) in the way of connecting
passengers to handle

tim

Old September 21st 16, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-09-21 11:52:21 +0000, tim... said:

That is the advantage of not having much (any) in the way of connecting
passengers to handle

Indeed so.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old September 21st 16, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 12:56:32 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
I first started to always try to work with carry on only after a trip on the
Manchester shuttle to LHR.

I waited 45 minutes for my bag to appear and when it did it was one a a
total of 3 that the flight had carried!

By implication that means a lot of people on that flight were actually
visiting London. Going through all the airport hassle and stress to take a
flight that including transit time is probably slower than taking the train
just seems utterly insane to me.

--
Spud

Old September 21st 16, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21/09/2016 09:48, Neil Williams wrote:
[...]
Sounds like a particularly bad day. The walk from some gates can be a
*bit* long but it's nothing on Gatwick, nor have I ever known any
airport as slow with bags as Gatwick (or Stansted).

Last time I collected a hold bag at Gatwick it was quick, it wasn't a
particularly quiet time either. I think Gatwick had some particular
problems with their baggage handlers - and not having enough of them - a
while back, but that got sorted out. (Responsibility of the handling
company, and ultimately the airline, but it reflects badly on the airport.)
Old September 21st 16, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21.09.16 14:26, Mizter T wrote:

On 21/09/2016 09:48, Neil Williams wrote:
[...]
Sounds like a particularly bad day. The walk from some gates can be a
*bit* long but it's nothing on Gatwick, nor have I ever known any
airport as slow with bags as Gatwick (or Stansted).

Last time I collected a hold bag at Gatwick it was quick, it wasn't a
particularly quiet time either. I think Gatwick had some particular
problems with their baggage handlers - and not having enough of them - a
while back, but that got sorted out. (Responsibility of the handling
company, and ultimately the airline, but it reflects badly on the airport.)

I find that T5 is very quick and efficient in terms of baggage
collection. I can usually be out of the airport within minutes after
disembarking; I just go through the electronic passport gates, do
downstairs and I find that my luggage is normally there.

Having said that, however, last time I was at T5 I found that the queues
to the electronic gates were longer as the luddites had caught onto them.
Old September 21st 16, 06:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim..." wrote:
I first started to always try to work with carry on only after a trip on
the
Manchester shuttle to LHR.

I waited 45 minutes for my bag to appear and when it did it was one a a
total of 3 that the flight had carried!

By implication that means a lot of people on that flight were actually
visiting London.

actually

going home from a trip to Manchester :-)

Going through all the airport hassle and stress to take a
flight that including transit time is probably slower than taking the
train
just seems utterly insane to me.

well yes

but I didn't expect such sloppy service from what was billed (at the time)
as a premium service - this was during the era when occasionally they would
fly concord on this route

tim

Balham: Buried by Time & Dust Offramp London Transport 2 June 5th 14 03:59 PM
Asbestos Dust from Brake Linings CJB London Transport 1 September 17th 09 07:18 AM
Dust? alex_t London Transport 19 December 7th 06 11:40 AM
And another one?? Peter Lawrence London Transport 5 July 21st 05 10:15 PM
Oyster Question (yes, another one!) Ian Jelf London Transport 8 February 27th 05 01:07 PM