Old October 22nd 16, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Battersea extension

wrote in message ...
On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 18:56:06 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d () wrote:

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 18:39:46 -0500
wrote:
GTO electronics are seriously obsolete which could, I suspect, make
obtaining further sets quite hard. Note that some Networkers have had
their GTO controls replaced by Hitachi.

Surely if a manufacturer builds a train with a working life probably
exceeding at least 30 years then then should either guarantee a supply
of
parts for that time period or suffer penalties such as swallowing the
cost
of train upgrades if they can't? Even car manufacturers I believe are
by law required to be able to supply parts for their vehicles for a
minimum of 10 years in the USA & EU.

ROFL!

Well that was informative.

The problem with trying to guarantee replacement parts for electronic
components, is that your suppliers wont guarantee supply of their devices
for an extended length of time.

I recall once working on a project where one of the components that had been
selected for the product was obsoleted during the development phase and the
board had to be re-engineered with a newer component.

You can usually expect to get guaranteed supply for 5-7 years out of a
supplier, but more than that and you are stuck having to make alternative
arrangements. You might stretch a repair stock to 10-12 years by buying in
before an item becomes obsolete, but 30 years!

tim

Old October 22nd 16, 11:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (tim...)
wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 18:56:06 -0500
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

And with modern electronics, the timescales get shorter and shorter.

NRN radios were 1980s technology. We made lots of them when I worked at
Philips. By the end of the 1990s it wasn't even possible to manufacture the
radios any more because electronics as discrete components on circuit boards
were used any more. Replacement radio models hadn't been through the same
approval process necessary for safety assurance of railway control systems.

Yet radios manufactured back to the mid-80s are still today installed in
train cabs and used at least until recently. A substantial cottage industry
grew up finding and repairing such radios to keep the railway going. No
doubt the same sort of thing will have to happen with the successor GSM-R
technology.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old October 23rd 16, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23.10.2016 2:41 AM, wrote:
In article ,
(tim...)
wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 18:56:06 -0500
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Hail well to a fellow Philips veteran! Ex PRL Redhill here).

I've got nothing of value to add... Err, ob.transport, I always use a train
when I visit friends/old Philips colleagues in Eindhoven (clutches at
straw...)
Old October 23rd 16, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Clank)
wrote:

On 23.10.2016 2:41 AM,
wrote:
In article ,

(tim...) wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 18:56:06 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d ()

wrote:
[...]

You didn't make the Research Labs move to Cambridge then?

I've got nothing of value to add... Err, ob.transport, I always use a
train when I visit friends/old Philips colleagues in Eindhoven (clutches
at straw...)

Have you travelled on a Croydon tram? The original Bombardier Flexity fleet
still have their Simoco-branded FM1000 radios. Simoco had gone bust by the
time the tramway opened but I think Philips had to back the guarantees.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 23rd 16, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23.10.2016 5:54 PM, wrote:
In article ,
(Clank)
wrote:

On 23.10.2016 2:41 AM,
wrote:
In article ,

(tim...) wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 18:56:06 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d ()

wrote:
[...]

No, I left before they closed PRL - was offered a job paying more on
new-fangled internetty sfuff and I had a hunch embedded software
engineering wasn't a good long term prospect, even though I loved it. They
offered me a transfer to Sunnyvale which often makes me wonder how my life
would've turned out if I'd accepted. (Absolutely no regrets, mind.)

I've got nothing of value to add... Err, ob.transport, I always use a
train when I visit friends/old Philips colleagues in Eindhoven (clutches
at straw...)

Have you travelled on a Croydon tram? The original Bombardier Flexity fleet
still have their Simoco-branded FM1000 radios. Simoco had gone bust by the
time the tramway opened but I think Philips had to back the guarantees.

Many times, I lived in Croydon for a long time (moved there when I started
at PRL, in fact - it was as close to Horley as I was willing to live ;-).)
Of course the trams didn't exist then, but I watched it built and used it
from opening day on :-).
Old October 23rd 16, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-10-23, Clank wrote:
On 23.10.2016 5:54 PM, wrote:
In article ,
(Clank)
wrote:

On 23.10.2016 2:41 AM,
wrote:
In article ,

(tim...) wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 18:56:06 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d ()

wrote:
[...]

Well that is very interesting to read, I lived in Croydon when the original
trams ran up the high street, often got my bike wheels stuck in the tramlines.

I also worked for Philips at the height of the 60's consumer boom in the
giant stores in Beddington Lane, valves, transistors, magnetic components
and tons of other interesting stuff, we had the first colour tv's they
came in by the lorryload, we had to unload and stack them, they weighed at
least 45 to 50 pounds, then a couple of days later we had to hump them
onto another lorry.
We used to get overtime at xmas in the record stores in the Croydon factory
in Purley Way
The stores was about 6 acres of double floor dexion with lifts and stairs
and about 2 acres of rows of standard green pallets with wooden pallets on board
it was fun racing around on a fork lift truck, and our first electric
pallitron was one of the wonders of the universe at the time
Those were the days.........
Old October 23rd 16, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article g.uk,

On 2016-10-23, Clank wrote:
On 23.10.2016 5:54 PM,
wrote:
In article ,
(Clank)
wrote:

[...]

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be? At least the mobile radio communications
industry involved smaller quantities of lighter kit.

--
Colin Rosenstiel