Old December 5th 16, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus Goes up in flames

On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 17:37:52 +0000, Graham Murray

On 2016-12-03 10:02:36 +0000, Roland Perry said:

This truck I really did see bursting into flames - I was driving on the
opposite carriageway at the moment the black smoke turned to flames:

I wonder what effect electric vehicles will have on the numbers
killed/injured or road disruption caused by vehicle fires, given that
fires in EMUs are very rare (notwithstanding that one, the only one I
ever heard of, occurred very recently). If you don't have a tank of
highly volatile fuel there to burn, the chance of fire is much lower.

What about hydrogen buses, such as the RV1? Hopefully there are very
strong precautions against the fuel catching fire or exploding even in
the case of a serious collision etc.

I think hydrogen-fuelled vehicles are much safer, as the gas escapes
before it can burn. The tanks also have to be very strong simply to
contain the high pressures.

Old December 6th 16, 03:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Old December 6th 16, 08:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 17:52:09 +0000
Robin wrote:
On 02/12/2016 16:31, d wrote:
On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 07:48:08 -0800 (PST)
wrote:
Happened in Kingston this morning. I saw it shortly after they put the fire=
out, the back of the bus was pretty much melted and the whole area stank o=
f burning plastic. It was a 371 from Richmond way, only the driver on board=
luckily. He was reated for smoke inhalation.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/loca...ee-london-122=
62350

Thats worryingly flammable.

ISTM pretty normal for a commercial vehicle which carries a load of diesel.

It doesn't look like its the diesel thats burning though, it looks like its
the plastic panels.

26/11 in Motherwell
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-38119498

Smart driver there - your bus catches fire so pull off the road and park it
next to someones house. A real rocket scientist that bus company has working
for them.

--
Spud

Old December 6th 16, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06-Dec-16 9:31 AM, d wrote:
On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 17:52:09 +0000
Robin wrote:
wrote:
Happened in Kingston this morning. I saw it shortly after they put the fire=
out, the back of the bus was pretty much melted and the whole area stank o=
f burning plastic. It was a 371 from Richmond way, only the driver on board=
luckily. He was reated for smoke inhalation.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/loca...ee-london-122=
62350

Thats worryingly flammable.

ISTM pretty normal for a commercial vehicle which carries a load of diesel.

It doesn't look like its the diesel thats burning though, it looks like its
the plastic panels.

26/11 in Motherwell
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-38119498

Smart driver there - your bus catches fire so pull off the road and park it
next to someones house. A real rocket scientist that bus company has working
for them.

With the Kingston fire, if he had pulled up 100 yds further on he could
have burned the copshop.

---