Old January 19th 17, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The next doomed Stansted NYC business jet

"Theo" wrote in message
John Levine wrote:
It's the 737-700ER, with a range of 5,630 nm. That's enough to get
from London to anywhere in the continental US.

The plane is a derivative of the BBJ, the biz jet version of the 737,
which has a range of 6200 nm with 8 passengers. Sounds like this
airline is more likely to fly the BBJ.

If anyone's at a loose end next week there's a 48-seat A319 corporate jet
flying Sydney to Lisbon next week, for an 'up to 75% off' price of
EUR110,000.

so a full price of close to half a million

who the **** values a small amount of extra comfort at that?

tim

Old January 19th 17, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 18/01/2017 10:02, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:58:54 on Tue, 17 Jan
2017, John Levine remarked:
https://50skyshades.com/news/business-aviation/bliss-jet-to-launch-laguardia-to-london-private-jet-service-in-january

This looks like the next dead cert failure.

This looks like vapourware. It says the New York end of the flights
will be at the Marine Air Terminal at LaGuardia airport, correctly
noting that it's considerably closer to midtown Manhattan than either
JFK or Newark.

But LaGuardia is a domestic airport. It has no customs or immigration
facilities and its only international flights are from Canada, where
flights are precleared. It seems rather unlikely that the US would set
up a preclearance station at Stansted.

Does it say the flights are non-stop?

I'm pretty sure they're non-stop.

Perhaps they'll clear customs/immigration en-route, as BA does at
Shannon for its flights from London City Airport.

No need. LGA already handles long haul business jets, providing customs and
immigration facilities,

Are you sure about that? Isn't there some law about LGA that it can't
have flights with longer than a sector length of 1500 miles which would
preclude anywhere but Canada (which has pre-clearance)?

That restriction only applies to scheduled commercial flights. Biz jets can
and do fly long haul to/from LGA and other small airfields.

Old January 19th 17, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Theo wrote:
John Levine wrote:
It's the 737-700ER, with a range of 5,630 nm. That's enough to get
from London to anywhere in the continental US.

The plane is a derivative of the BBJ, the biz jet version of the 737,
which has a range of 6200 nm with 8 passengers. Sounds like this
airline is more likely to fly the BBJ.

If anyone's at a loose end next week there's a 48-seat A319 corporate jet
flying Sydney to Lisbon next week, for an 'up to 75% off' price of
EUR110,000. That's 9800nm so I assume there's a fuel stop in that.

I wonder what the attraction would be? Scheduled first class would be much
more comfortable and private, at a fraction of the price.

Old January 20th 17, 06:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:05:19 on Thu, 19 Jan
2017, tim... remarked:

If anyone's at a loose end next week there's a 48-seat A319 corporate jet
flying Sydney to Lisbon next week, for an 'up to 75% off' price of
EUR110,000.

I'm guessing that's the fuel and crew cost.

so a full price of close to half a million

Actually the list price for that flight is EUR 876,550 and it's an
"empty leg". So someone else must have hired it one-way the opposite
direction.

who the **** values a small amount of extra comfort at that?

Even at full price, if you need all 48 seats it's cheaper than business
class.

Old January 20th 17, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:31:40 +0000 (UTC)
John Levine wrote:
I'm surprised a 737 can fly for 7 hours without refueling. What ****ty budget
airline was dishing them up for long haul? Let us know so we can avoid it.

It's the 737-700ER, with a range of 5,630 nm. That's enough to get
from London to anywhere in the continental US.

Not I suspect if you include fuel safety margins.

--
Spud

Old January 20th 17, 08:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 20:37:08 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Theo wrote:
John Levine wrote:
It's the 737-700ER, with a range of 5,630 nm. That's enough to get
from London to anywhere in the continental US.

The plane is a derivative of the BBJ, the biz jet version of the 737,
which has a range of 6200 nm with 8 passengers. Sounds like this
airline is more likely to fly the BBJ.

If anyone's at a loose end next week there's a 48-seat A319 corporate jet
flying Sydney to Lisbon next week, for an 'up to 75% off' price of
EUR110,000. That's 9800nm so I assume there's a fuel stop in that.

I wonder what the attraction would be? Scheduled first class would be much
more comfortable and private, at a fraction of the price.

There are a lot of rich gullible people in the world.

--
Spud

Old January 20th 17, 08:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Levine wrote:
I'm surprised a 737 can fly for 7 hours without refueling. What ****ty budget
airline was dishing them up for long haul? Let us know so we can avoid it.

It's the 737-700ER, with a range of 5,630 nm. That's enough to get
from London to anywhere in the continental US.

Not I suspect if you include fuel safety margins.

It depends on the wind and the loading. LHR-LAX is 4741 nm, so well within
the nominal range, but if the 737 has max payload and there's the usual
headwind, it may be insufficient.