Old July 25th 17, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New report highlghts the important role of smaller stations forpassengers

On 24/07/2017 23:27, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

I thought the JCDeCaux modular toilets were good - and if I remember correctly,
somewhat self cleaning? Are they still around?

If you mean the fully automated public toilets that self-clean after
every use then yes, they are still around, from JCDecaux and I think
other suppliers. But they are not cheap - IIRC over £25,000 a year per
toilet - and so not self-funding. Some London boroughs have got rid of
them because of the cost, looking instead to the Open London and
community toilet schemes.

Some councils do still provide loos. Hackney built new ones in its
centre a few years ago. And has just rebuilt them. They were very
popular with the rough sleepers and 24-hour drinkers who found them very
convenient.

--
Robin
Old July 25th 17, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (tim...)
wrote:

"Offramp" wrote in message
On Monday, 24 July 2017 16:24:41 UTC+1,
wrote:
In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Thursday, 20 July 2017 17:01:16 UTC+1, Offramp wrote:
A good layout for toilets is at Golders Green. The toilets are in
the street, where the bus station is. They are very close to the
Tube station, but they are the council's responsibility.

Station Supervisors will shut toilets inside stations whenever
there is any problem. They are also a lot of work for the station
cleaner. They are nice to have until they become your
responsibility.

You said it. Having managed a contract that covered both public and
staff toilet facilities on LU they were a never ending source of
grief. The scale of damage and abuse to such facilities is
incredible. And just before anyone responds I am not saying they are
not an essential facility for the public. They clearly are valued
and important but the way a minority of the public treat them it is a
wonder there are any public toilets anywhere.

That's why the city council introduced 20p charges for Cambridge public
toilets. It was found to reduce such abuse dramatically.

There is a solution right there... An Oyster/CPC reader that
charges 10/20p. If people knew that their details were on record
they wouldn't smash the bogs up.

my oyster is unregistered

getting such is trivial

s'alright. You'll be on CCTV.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 26th 17, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
11:38:55 on Tue, 25 Jul 2017, Robin remarked:

They were very popular with the rough sleepers and 24-hour drinkers who
found them very convenient.

Isn't that why they are called "conveniences"?
Old July 26th 17, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I am getting old, and this week was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes. I'm pretty sure that I've had it for several years, but couldn't bring myself to go to a doctor. I quite frequently need to pass water, often with little warning, and the lack of public toilets is a real problem for me. The outdoor urinal at Vauxhall is very useful; I can get off a bus, quickly pop in and get back to the stop in time to catch the next one just a few minutes later. For a long time one side always seemed to be locked, but both sides have been open recently. Pity there are no hand washing facilities. Why are there not more of these things? The recently rebuilt West Croydon bus station has a single toilet, often engaged, many others do not have even that.

I have occasionally seen the Vauxhall urinal being used by women, late at night when the indoor toilets are closed, and if wearing a dress or skirt they can do so without exposing themselves.

Old July 26th 17, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The urine is sold to a man called a lanter who uses the urine to tan leather which he sells to Vauxhall's hipsters.
Old July 27th 17, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wednesday, 26 July 2017 22:36:06 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Good points.

For those who have not been caught short at Vauxhall recently, pix are he
https://changehere.wordpress.com/tag/urinals/

Another plus point seems to be that the structure is rugged enough to be able to be pressure-hosed down very easily thus keeping maintenance to a minimum.

If Offramp is correct it may be even be self-funding.
Old July 27th 17, 08:42 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I am getting old, and this week was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes. I'm pretty sure that I've had it for several years, but couldn't bring myself to go to a doctor. I quite frequently need to pass water, often with little warning, and the lack of public toilets is a real problem for me.
The need to "pass water" frequently is to do with old age and an
expanded prostate. Most elderly men have this problem, particularly
in cold weather, regardless of diabetes.
Old July 27th 17, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 14:56:28 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

The urine is sold to a man called a lanter who uses the urine to tan
leather which he sells to Vauxhall's hipsters.

How does he filter out Puke?

you're using it to tan leather

why do you need to

(all very hypothetically, of course)

Old July 27th 17, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 12:44:14 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

The urine is sold to a man called a lanter who uses the urine to tan
leather which he sells to Vauxhall's hipsters.

How does he filter out Puke?

you're using it to tan leather

why do you need to

(all very hypothetically, of course)

To stop the diced carrots getting stuck in any pipe work?

what pipe work

it's poured into "baths"

OTOH isn't the process based on Urine being an alkali that eventually
becomes part of the caustic solution that does whatever it does to the
hides,, Puke will be the contents of the stomach so acidic in nature.
Too much of it and it will affect the alkalinity of the Urine.

but that would be the question

how do you stop the puke getting there in the first place?

not

how do you get rid of it once it's there?