Old September 20th 17, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Explosion on district line

In message , at 20:51:01 on Tue, 19
Sep 2017, Recliner remarked:

Very little hard information two days later. One arrest in Dover,
another in London; are either firmly linked to forensics from CCTV and
the bucket, or because of something else?

Turns out to be "something else".

Well, they're still making arrests:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41327872

Most likely "associated with/linked to" one or both of the first two
arrestees, rather than to the bucket or CCTV in west London.

Old September 20th 17, 07:28 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , at 02:03:16 on
Wed, 20 Sep 2017, Charles Ellson remarked:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 07:15:23 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 23:11:45 on
Mon, 18 Sep 2017, Charles Ellson remarked:

I've been working in one of many areas where that is exactly what
is done when an offender leaves the scene of their crime. They're
generally too thick to go off down a side street so we've often
watched the police with us just waiting for them to walk/run past.

How are the police alerted to the flight of the alleged offender so
soon?

Through a set of the local authority's radios used by door staff,
police, street wardens and others.

I'm surprised to find that's the idea behind the cameras where I live.

Your area might not use them the same way as Lambeth.

The intention in their write-up is the same.

Surprised because I know the police station (where the feeds end up) is
unmanned at the times when they would be most useful.

Meanwhile, I was looking at one of the pan/tilt cameras on a street
corner (T-junction) earlier today, and it simply cycles between each of
the three directions every 15-20 seconds.

That would suggest it is mainly for observing the traffic when in that
style of use.

Antisocial behaviour.

That tends to happen at night. If the cameras are available then it
would seem to be sensible to use them for observing the traffic at
other times.

That's not in fact in their business case. Also, being observable only
at the police station, when these days the police have no interest in
the smooth flow of traffic in town centres. As far as I can see they
don't even turn out to RTAs which block the road unless someone
specifically calls them.

In the above case, the cameras are usually "parked" around 4am after
the clubs have closed, not necessarily all aimed at something as at
least one (not at a junction) is just left pointing down.

The one I saw was doing its pan-dance in the middle of the day.

Old September 20th 17, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:51:01 on Tue, 19
Sep 2017, Recliner remarked:

Very little hard information two days later. One arrest in Dover,
another in London; are either firmly linked to forensics from CCTV and
the bucket, or because of something else?

Turns out to be "something else".

Well, they're still making arrests:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41327872

Most likely "associated with/linked to" one or both of the first two
arrestees, rather than to the bucket or CCTV in west London.

I wouldn't claim to know.

Old September 20th 17, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

In article , Arthur
Figgis writes
ISTR once reading about an aircraft being sent to fly past a major
German warship, in the hope that when the ship came under attack shortly
afterwards the Kriegsmarine would think that the plane had happened to
stumble across it, rather than suspect that someone might be reading
their messages and finding them that way.

That was part of standard policy for "Ultra".

Basically, no information from Enigma decrypts could be used in the
field unless there was a plausible non-crypto-related explanation that
the Germans would believe. Of course, the information could be used to
generate that "explanation".

So, in the example I think you're thinking of, a decrypt would indicate
where and when an attack submarine was meeting with a tanker submarine
to refuel - this had to be done on the surface and neither could
submerge during the process. So a reconnaisance squadron was instructed
to send a plane out in that specific area. To their surprise, they would
find the two subs sitting there and could whistle up some bombers. If
the submariners survived the experience, they would report that they got
spotted by a plane.

--
Clive D.W. Feather
Old March 7th 18, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 08:19:08 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:

Looks like it could be an improvised device, or some builders chemicals that
overheated. Hopefully the latter but seems unlikely to me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41278545

It's now in court:

"the device was made from the volatile chemical explosive TATP and
contained 2.2kg of sockets, screws, bolts, nails, knives and
screwdrivers"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43318098