Old April 5th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Subway (New York) vs Underground (London) [Quite long]

(Stephen Furley) wrote in message om...
(Proctor46) wrote in message ...
This map really could do with receiving the
attention of Mr. H. Beck. .

Have a go your self....could be fun...

The London style New York Subway map which I mentioned in a previous
post can be found he
http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/subway/SubwayMap.gif

IMO one of the best features of London Underground is that maps and
other leaflets about fares etc. are so readily available; you can just
help yourself from the leaflet racks at any station. I've been on the
NY Subway and the Paris Metro and other systems in the past few years.
Am I right in thinking that London Underground is one of best at
providing information like this?

Dominic

Old April 5th 04, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:38:45 -0700, Dominic wrote:

IMO one of the best features of London Underground is that maps and
other leaflets about fares etc. are so readily available; you can just
help yourself from the leaflet racks at any station. I've been on the
NY Subway and the Paris Metro and other systems in the past few years.
Am I right in thinking that London Underground is one of best at
providing information like this?

I'd say so; much as Hamburg's system is superb, there's very little in the
way of printed literature in comparison with LUL, or indeed most other
British rail systems (except the notorious Manchester Metrolink!)

I think having staffed stations helps, as it means leaflets can be left on
display without much risk of them being distributed all over the floor.
Hamburg's system has very few stations with staffed ticket offices (though
some have staff on the platforms) so it's more difficult to offer this.

In fact, there are a few underground stations in Hamburg which appear to
be totally unstaffed - bet you'd not get away with that in the UK!

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
Mail me on neil at the above domain; mail to the above address is NOT read

Old April 6th 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams schrieb:
In fact, there are a few underground stations in Hamburg which appear to
be totally unstaffed - bet you'd not get away with that in the UK!

A few?
I'd say more than 95% of stations are completely free of any staff.
There's just one station with full-time platform staff (Hauptbahnhof
S-Bahn platforms) left, i think.
Some have ticket counters that are open on the last and first days of a
month (season tickets...).
Old April 6th 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Annabel Smyth wrote:

Although who, who, recorded the bright and breezy voice that says
"Willesden Green!" after the rather dreary "This train terminates
at".....

I love that announcement!

tom

--
You are in a twisty maze of directories, all alike. In front of you is a broken pipe...

Old April 6th 04, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Branston Pickle fetish

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 at 18:54:16, John Rowland
wrote:

"C stock" wrote in message

Hey Annabel, the above link dosen't exist, but found your pix on
following link: http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/photos/

.....You're a chunky, goodlooking tootsie who seems to be quite
agile on a skating rink!

Less of your lip, or she'll give you a right hook, like she gave this chap!
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/photos/P014.jpg

Indeed I might! Link is working now, by the way - thanks for pointing
out that it wasn't.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004

I've downloaded all the pix of you,
Have you ever thought of creating a newsgroup dedicated to your
delightful thighs? - Given half a chance, I could blissfully massage
Branston Pickle into them any day of the week!

Old April 6th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Gunnar Thöle" wrote in message
Neil Williams schrieb:
In fact, there are a few underground stations in Hamburg which appear to
be totally unstaffed - bet you'd not get away with that in the UK!

A few?
I'd say more than 95% of stations are completely free of any staff.
There's just one station with full-time platform staff (Hauptbahnhof
S-Bahn platforms) left, i think.
Some have ticket counters that are open on the last and first days of a
month (season tickets...).

What do the ticket sellers for the other 28 days a month then?

Peter Smyth

Old April 6th 04, 07:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 at 22:41:51, Neil Williams
wrote:

In fact, there are a few underground stations in Hamburg which appear to
be totally unstaffed - bet you'd not get away with that in the UK!

Oh, I dunno - East India DLR is totally unstaffed, as far as I can see.
And I expect some other DLR stations are, too.
Old April 6th 04, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

In fact, there are a few underground stations in Hamburg which appear to
be totally unstaffed - bet you'd not get away with that in the UK!

Oh, I dunno - East India DLR is totally unstaffed, as far as I can see.
And I expect some other DLR stations are, too.

DLR isn't Underground

Old April 6th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 at 20:15:44, Robin Mayes
wrote:

Oh, I dunno - East India DLR is totally unstaffed, as far as I can see.
And I expect some other DLR stations are, too.

DLR isn't Underground

True, but it's still run by TfL, and they still require tickets, and
sell tickets.....
Old April 6th 04, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message

True, but it's still run by TfL, and they still require tickets, and
sell tickets.....

It's actually run by Serco...