Old April 10th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

Default Oyster PrePay on a bus

I expect everyone's seen it already but I saw a 53 bus all turned "Oyster
blue" with an ad on the side saying its only 70p with Oyster.

I guess that bodes well for Pre Pay starting soon.

Old April 11th 04, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"JB" wrote in message ...
I expect everyone's seen it already but I saw a 53 bus all turned "Oyster
blue" with an ad on the side saying its only 70p with Oyster.

I guess that bodes well for Pre Pay starting soon.

Pre Pay is already started, but it's erratic, doesn't always work and
is generally broken (the 371 between Richmond and Kingston is an
example). Kind of stupid that it's still broken, what with this
one-bus-zone business.

Brad
Old April 11th 04, 03:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"JB" wrote in message ...
I expect everyone's seen it already but I saw a 53 bus all turned "Oyster
blue" with an ad on the side saying its only 70p with Oyster.

I guess that bodes well for Pre Pay starting soon.

On matters Oyster, has anyone else noticed the amazing amount of buses
on which the Oyster card reader has broken or is missing? I've had my
Oyster card for six weeks now, and I would say at least one bus
journey in four has seen me waved through because "the machine's
broken, mate."

Patrick
Old April 11th 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
om...
"JB" wrote in message

I expect everyone's seen it already but I saw a 53 bus all turned

"Oyster
blue" with an ad on the side saying its only 70p with Oyster.

I guess that bodes well for Pre Pay starting soon.

Pre Pay is already started, but it's erratic, doesn't always work and
is generally broken (the 371 between Richmond and Kingston is an
example). Kind of stupid that it's still broken, what with this
one-bus-zone business.

Brad

That's interesting. Transport for London on their web site/help number
still say it'll be "starting soon" on buses. What happens if you get on a
bus and it just doesn't work?

Old April 13th 04, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:31:08 +0100, JB wrote:

That's interesting. Transport for London on their web site/help number
still say it'll be "starting soon" on buses. What happens if you get on a
bus and it just doesn't work?

You get to pay the driver a shiny one pound coin,
as happened to me at least six times this past weekend.

Old April 13th 04, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

"John Hearns" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:31:08 +0100, JB wrote:

That's interesting. Transport for London on their web site/help number
still say it'll be "starting soon" on buses. What happens if you get on

bus and it just doesn't work?

You get to pay the driver a shiny one pound coin,
as happened to me at least six times this past weekend.

Ah I see. One of those "use anywhere" special tokens!

Old April 13th 04, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"JB" typed

Ah I see. One of those "use anywhere" special tokens!

I call them 'trolley tokens'. I keep one aside specially for my
supermarket trips (and I get it back when I return the trolley!)

Shame John Hearns didn't have a book of Saver bus tickets. I find these
useful for people who ask me for bus fares...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old April 13th 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:30:35 +0100, John Hearns
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:31:08 +0100, JB wrote:
That's interesting. Transport for London on their web site/help number
still say it'll be "starting soon" on buses. What happens if you get on a
bus and it just doesn't work?

You get to pay the driver a shiny one pound coin,
as happened to me at least six times this past weekend.

You should carry a booklet of 'Saver Six' tickets for this reason!

Cheers,

Jason.
Old April 13th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 at 08:32:09, The Only Living Boy in New Cross
wrote:

On matters Oyster, has anyone else noticed the amazing amount of buses
on which the Oyster card reader has broken or is missing? I've had my
Oyster card for six weeks now, and I would say at least one bus
journey in four has seen me waved through because "the machine's
broken, mate."

Hasn't happened to me at all; all machines have been working, as far as
I'm aware.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004
Old April 13th 04, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:45:55 +0100, Jason wrote:

You get to pay the driver a shiny one pound coin,
as happened to me at least six times this past weekend.

You should carry a booklet of 'Saver Six' tickets for this reason!

It's a bit off that if the technology isn't working full fare is charged,
IMO. A better policy would be to wave people through[1] with unreadable
cards or dodgy machines. This is what the Milton Keynes drivers tend to
do (though admittedly they are only passes, not pre-pay).

[1] Only on buses, mind, as a Tube station would have the facility to
resolve the problem.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
Mail me on neil at the above domain; mail to the above address is NOT read