Old December 18th 18, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Sadiq's looming poll tax moment

On 18/12/2018 13:36, wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:26:08 +0000
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 18/12/2018 11:37,
wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 11:13:46 +0000
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 18/12/2018 09:42,
wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 16:31:59 +0000
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 17/12/2018 16:19,
wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 15:37:46 +0000
Robin wrote:
Meanwhile vast swathes of both the public and private sectors are
operating in the 21st century with employees placing orders and making
payments online. Eg use of payment cards was common when I retired 13
years ago. There were naturally limits on how much could be charged on

A lot of sole traders don't want the hassle or the fees from lugging a

card

machine around when they go to jobs.

Don't need a separate machine, there are smart phone apps that will do
the job now.

How does a smartphone app read chip and pin then? Not all cards are
contactless and not all phones have NFC.

Few smart phones don't have it now and the number of non-contactless

Really? ITYF most don't.

What smart phones currently on the market don't have it?

Pretty much all PAYG phones and anything a hundred quid or less which is a
large part of the market. Just because you might pay the Cupertino idiot tax
either directly or getting stiffed for 150% of it via a contract, don't assume
everyone else is the same.

Back to the insults this early, you must be getting desperate.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old December 18th 18, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/12/2018 14:59, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:

Apple/Android Pay don't have that limit.

I wasn't allowed to use Android (now Google) Pay at Tesco for a transaction over
£30. Terminal declined it.

That's Tesco's choice.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old December 20th 18, 04:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
news
On 16/12/2018 16:48, tim... wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
news
On 16/12/2018 14:30, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
news On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 21:05:26 +0000
Robin wrote:
I would be very surprised if anyone who was ignorant of the toll in
advance but asked politely for the number at any of the services on
the
M25/M2/M20 - or at the ferry/Eurotunnel terminal - would fail to get
it,
if only from a passing member of the public.

Very convenient. Find someone to ask for a number, phone number, faff
around
with endless menus. I mean who wouldn't want to do that compared to
just
handing over 2 quid, done, drive off...

And the phone and postal services for the Dart Charge seem quaint and
indulgent compared with the toll roads in eg Sydney where it's
electronic or else - including for visitors in hire cars.

The french peages allow you to use electronic tokens that open the
barrier
automaticaly or the option of credit card or cash payments. Theres
zero
reason a similar system couldn't have been adopted here.

the French peage are routinely almost empty.

You've not tried driving down one while the Tour de France was in the
area!

Oh

so one day every 5 years negates my point, does it?

Oh dear, and the TdF is every year I believe and takes rather more than
one day.

but it only closes each road for one day

and rarely uses the same roads year after year

tim

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old December 20th 18, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

news
Robin wrote:
Meanwhile vast swathes of both the public and private sectors are
operating in the 21st century with employees placing orders and making
payments online. Eg use of payment cards was common when I retired 13
years ago. There were naturally limits on how much could be charged on

A lot of sole traders don't want the hassle or the fees from lugging a
card
machine around when they go to jobs.

most of these people give me an invoice and expect me to pay by internet
banking

even my sister's window cleaner worked this way

tim

Old December 20th 18, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 11:37:25 on Tue, 18 Dec
2018, remarked:
Meanwhile vast swathes of both the public and private sectors are
operating in the 21st century with employees placing orders and
making
payments online. Eg use of payment cards was common when I retired
13
years ago. There were naturally limits on how much could be charged
on

A lot of sole traders don't want the hassle or the fees from lugging
a card

machine around when they go to jobs.

Don't need a separate machine, there are smart phone apps that will do
the job now.

How does a smartphone app read chip and pin then? Not all cards are
contactless and not all phones have NFC.

Few smart phones don't have it now and the number of non-contactless

Really? ITYF most don't.

cards is diminishing rapidly.

Still a 30 quid limit. Useless for almost all tradesmens jobs anyway.

This whole thread is going off at cross purposes. When the adverts say you
can take smartphone payments without a machine, they mean one of those
DECT-phone sized dedicated machines with a thermal printer (hold that
thought).

The offering is a cardreader that plugs into a smartphone.

But how does one print a receipt??

when my kitchen units were delivered - 81 items [1], I was asked to check
off everything was there

so I asked for the picking list to compare with and he said "I can't print
that off until you have signed that the deliver is correct"

tim

[1] each door knob and hinge pack was a separate item

Old December 20th 18, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

One of the latter I'm aware of had a NL grant and the T&C were specific
that all purchases funded by the grant MUST be paid for with a
two-signatures method, and just to rub it in MUST NOT ever be paid for on
a debit/credit card[1]. In smaller organisations it's often easier to
manage suchpayments by cheque, rather than pester two people to log on and
double-authorise a BACS transfer (although the technology to do that
certainly exists).

The sooner these people are shaken into the 21st century by the abolition of
cheques the better IMHO

tim

Old December 20th 18, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
news
Robin wrote:
[...]

the French peage are routinely almost empty. The same cannot be said of
the

Out in the sticks yes, near big cities not always. Anyway, the northbound
dartfords queues have never been due to the tolls, its always been down to
squeezing one of the busiest motorways in europe 6 lanes down + local
feeder
roads

it's 4 lanes plus local feeder road(s)

tim

Old December 20th 18, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:55:11 on Thu, 20 Dec
2018, tim... remarked:

One of the latter I'm aware of had a NL grant and the T&C were
specific that all purchases funded by the grant MUST be paid for with
a two-signatures method, and just to rub it in MUST NOT ever be paid
for on a debit/credit card[1]. In smaller organisations it's often
easier to manage suchpayments by cheque, rather than pester two
people to log on and double-authorise a BACS transfer (although the
technology to do that certainly exists).

The sooner these people are shaken into the 21st century by the
abolition of cheques the better IMHO

It doesn't matter how hard you shake them, two-signature cheques will
remain much easier to do than two-login BACS. You've also got to realise
that the signatories are often in effect volunteers, so you don't want
to "shake" them too much.
Old December 21st 18, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 17:45:02 -0000
news
Robin wrote:
Meanwhile vast swathes of both the public and private sectors are
operating in the 21st century with employees placing orders and making
payments online. Eg use of payment cards was common when I retired 13
years ago. There were naturally limits on how much could be charged on

A lot of sole traders don't want the hassle or the fees from lugging a
card
machine around when they go to jobs.

most of these people give me an invoice and expect me to pay by internet
banking

Some trademens do , some don't. Plus there's often a discount for paying in
cash but you probably wouldn't know about that.

even my sister's window cleaner worked this way

An invoicing window cleaner? Where does she live, Islington, or maybe Chipping
Norton?

Does anyone know what is up with the Central Line at the moment? london-lass London Transport 23 December 2nd 06 07:15 PM
Never a dull moment on the Tube Alan \(in Brussels\) London Transport 16 January 22nd 05 08:39 AM
New Tax Discs Nigel London Transport 41 February 27th 04 01:29 PM
The effects of a road congestion tax Tom Sacold London Transport 77 November 30th 03 02:51 AM
Big car owners face tax hike dave F London Transport 11 October 20th 03 12:45 PM