Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 4th 04, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london

Default Kingsway Tram Subway open to the general public

Ian Jelf wrote in message ...
In message , Nick Pedley
writes

The fake walls only seem to stretch back to the point where the ramp starts
(about 30m), I think the rest of the tunnel was fully used. Personally I'd
like to see inside the section under the bridge where the tram tunnel
originally came out, there's a massive doorway there these days (with a
doorbell!).

I have (although this was 10+ years ago) been inside that end but not
very far!

One day I was walking along the Embankment and spotted that the door was
open. Curiosity managed to get the better of me and I hesitantly
peered inside. Apart from a couple of council vehicles, there was
nothing (and appeared to be no-one) inside. The tracks had gone but
the conduit remained and stretched off into the gloom. I couldn't see
very far ahead and - realising that I really shouldn't have been there,
I quickly ducked back out again.

In the years since, I've seen the door open again a couple of times and
the conduit was still there. But had I not taken that closer look that
time I don't think I'd have realised what it was (or else I'd have
assumed that it was one of the running rails).

I've seen inside as well once years ago when I passed by and the door
was open. I seem to remember there was a roadsweeping vehicle in
there. I presume that the ceiling comes down to meet the access ramp
of the underpass somewhere up ahead. I've seen a picture taken inside
since the tram line shut. It was on the web but I can't remember
where.