Old April 29th 04, 04:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL cycling (on-yer-bike posters) spot-the-problem quiz

On 2004-04-29, Brimstone wrote:
Is the scene in a one way street?

Extra points if you can name the street and whether or not it is
actually a one-way street.

The pie & mash shop says "Traditional Since 189x" (the x is obscured by
the cyclist). That may mean that it's Goddard's of Greenwich or Robins
of East Ham, both of which started in 1890, I think. It's not Goddard's
(wrong design of shop front), so I'll guess it's Robins, which is at 105
High Street North, E6. As far as I can tell from information on the
web, there is a 1-way flow northbound at this point, and Robins is on
the west side, so the cyclist is going against the one-way flow.

AICMFP

--
Richard J.

Old April 29th 04, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Simon Hewison
writes
Correct. The cyclist is riding from right to left, with the bike wheels
almost in the gutter, next to the pavement, therefore they're on the wrong
side.

That sounds like the cycle lane along Petty France. Road is eastbound
only, cycle lane is westbound only and on the north side.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 1st 04, 07:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dr Ivan D. Reid" wrote in message

May be a composite.

I'm amazed the shot doesn't show a cyclist tearing along a pavement at 35
miles an hour, yelling "get out the way, you beckstext*******/beckstext
w**k**s!"

Ian

Old May 1st 04, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:40:27 +0100, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

In article , Simon Hewison
writes
Correct. The cyclist is riding from right to left, with the bike wheels
almost in the gutter, next to the pavement, therefore they're on the wrong
side.

That sounds like the cycle lane along Petty France. Road is eastbound
only, cycle lane is westbound only and on the north side.

All the on-road contraflow cycle lanes I can think of are on the left
side of the road. If you can remember, is there any obvious reason why
the lane in Petty France is on the right? Is it separated from the
main carriageway by a kerb or simply a white line?

PaulO

Old May 1st 04, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

In article , Simon Hewison
writes
Correct. The cyclist is riding from right to left, with the bike wheels
almost in the gutter, next to the pavement, therefore they're on the wrong
side.

That sounds like the cycle lane along Petty France. Road is eastbound
only, cycle lane is westbound only and on the north side.

Or Torrington Place: there's a bidirectional, partially segregated, cycle
lane on the eastbound side. As a cyclist, i wish it wasn't there, as it's
a pain to get on to, and just makes it hard to turn north from the
westbound main lane!

tom

--
Don't trust the laws of men. Trust the laws of mathematics.

Old May 1st 04, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 1 May 2004 at 16:16:18, Paul Oter wrote:

All the on-road contraflow cycle lanes I can think of are on the left
side of the road. If you can remember, is there any obvious reason why
the lane in Petty France is on the right? Is it separated from the
main carriageway by a kerb or simply a white line?

The one outside my window is on the right, now I come to think of it.
It is separated from the main carriageway by a kerb.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004
Old May 3rd 04, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 1 May 2004 20:27:01 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

Or Torrington Place: there's a bidirectional, partially segregated, cycle
lane on the eastbound side. As a cyclist, i wish it wasn't there, as it's
a pain to get on to, and just makes it hard to turn north from the
westbound main lane!

tom

Yes, if I had been designing this facility, I would have put it on the
other side of the road. Having said that, you should be able to get
into the reservoir area if the traffic is stopped, or cross TCR later
if it is moving. Of course, you aren't *required* to use this cycle
lane!

Straying a bit, the eastern end of this route (the Seven Stations
Link) comes to an abrupt end at Woburn Place, with offside traffic
lights but separated cycle lanes. Does anyone know why it has not been
completed?

Regards,

Clive

--
Clive R Robertson -- AS/400 Programmer.

Webmaster of http://www.osterleypark.org.uk/ -- this describes
a beautiful National Trust property in West London.
Old May 3rd 04, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Paul Oter
writes
All the on-road contraflow cycle lanes I can think of are on the left
side of the road. If you can remember, is there any obvious reason why
the lane in Petty France is on the right?

No, unless it's that there's no side turns on that side.

Is it separated from the
main carriageway by a kerb or simply a white line?

Kerb, IIRC.