Old May 14th 04, 08:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Croxley Link progress

"Tom Anderson" wrote...

I'm glad i'm not the only person who looks at maps of the network and
wonders why there are so many lines crossing without stations. LU are
doing something about the Central/Picc at Park Royal

I didn't know about the Park Royal business. Interesting. Can you tell us
more about it? I tried searching TfL's website for Park Royal Central but
got pages about royal parks in central London!

Old May 15th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Solar Penguin wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote...

I'm glad i'm not the only person who looks at maps of the network and
wonders why there are so many lines crossing without stations. LU are
doing something about the Central/Picc at Park Royal

I didn't know about the Park Royal business. Interesting. Can you tell us
more about it?

I know nothing about it myself, bar what i've read around here, but our Mr
Arquati has a file on it:

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/33

tom

--
The burger place at the bottom of the Cowley road has a menu numbered from 1-80, but you can order up to 120 -- Dave Sheldon

Old May 15th 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Park Royal (was Croxley Link progress)

"Tom Anderson" wrote...

I know nothing about it myself, bar what i've read around here, but our Mr
Arquati has a file on it:

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/33

Thanks. Good to see new stations are being built for the Underground.

Old May 15th 04, 02:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Solar Penguin wrote:
"Tom Anderson" wrote...

I know nothing about it myself, bar what i've read around here, but our Mr
Arquati has a file on it:

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/33

Thanks. Good to see new stations are being built for the Underground.

It's being built? I've ridden past Park Royal on both lines and seen
absolutely no sign of any construction whatsoever.

Brad
Old May 15th 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
Solar Penguin wrote:
"Tom Anderson" wrote...
I know nothing about it myself, bar what i've read around here, but
our Mr Arquati has a file on it:
http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/33

Thanks. Good to see new stations are being built for the Underground.

It's being built? I've ridden past Park Royal on both lines and seen
absolutely no sign of any construction whatsoever.

It's awaiting planning permission. I've asked them to put in some bike
parking, inexplicably left out of the original design.

In the early days of London railways, there were no interchanges
because the lines competed.

After the 30s (tube) or 1948 (main line), people thought radially, and
did little to help suburb-to-suburb journeys.

Now, with zone 1 tube so congested, suburban interchanges have an
extra justification. As well as facilitating orbital journeys, they
can enable people to enter zone 1 on a line that goes to their
destination station, reducing zone 1 travel distance and interchanges.

Both these benefits relieve zone 1 congestion.

The cost argument is frankly baloney. The only other way to relieve
zone 1 is to build new lines, which is far more expensive and takes
far longer. If Ken wanted, he could have all the obvious interchanges
built within his next term. Crossrail, at best, will take twice as
long. Increasing the capacity of the NLL might take rather longer.

Colin McKenzie

--
Why believe statistics?
Ignore them and you can believe the damned lies instead!