London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old January 23rd 20, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,849
Default Twirly cards on TfL buses

Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.
--
Roland Perry

  #2   Report Post  
Old January 23rd 20, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 360
Default Twirly cards on TfL buses

Roland Perry wrote:
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.


As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards. You show it to
the driver, who issues a receipt.

  #3   Report Post  
Old January 23rd 20, 11:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2017
Posts: 25
Default Twirly cards on TfL buses

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 21:31:38 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.


As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards. You show it to
the driver, who issues a receipt.


I was in London last week and showed my Somerset card to several bus
drivers. They all simply nodded - no receipt. I believe I saw them
touch a button on their ticket device but can't be sure.
  #4   Report Post  
Old January 23rd 20, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 360
Default Twirly cards on TfL buses

Graham Harrison wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 21:31:38 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.


As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards. You show it to
the driver, who issues a receipt.


I was in London last week and showed my Somerset card to several bus
drivers. They all simply nodded - no receipt. I believe I saw them
touch a button on their ticket device but can't be sure.


Yes, I'm sure they touch a button, wasn't sure about the receipt.

  #5   Report Post  
Old January 24th 20, 12:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2018
Posts: 133
Default Twirly cards on TfL buses

On 23/01/2020 23:46, Recliner wrote:
Graham Harrison wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 21:31:38 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.

As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards. You show it to
the driver, who issues a receipt.


I was in London last week and showed my Somerset card to several bus
drivers. They all simply nodded - no receipt. I believe I saw them
touch a button on their ticket device but can't be sure.


Yes, I'm sure they touch a button, wasn't sure about the receipt.


When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.


--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]


  #6   Report Post  
Old January 24th 20, 12:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 360
Default Twirly cards on TfL buses

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 23/01/2020 23:46, Recliner wrote:
Graham Harrison wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 21:31:38 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.

As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards. You show it to
the driver, who issues a receipt.

I was in London last week and showed my Somerset card to several bus
drivers. They all simply nodded - no receipt. I believe I saw them
touch a button on their ticket device but can't be sure.


Yes, I'm sure they touch a button, wasn't sure about the receipt.


When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.


It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly cards aren't
valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last of your four drivers
was correct.

  #7   Report Post  
Old January 24th 20, 08:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,849
Default Twirly cards on TfL buses

In message , at 21:31:38 on Thu, 23 Jan
2020, Recliner remarked:

Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.


As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards.


I suppose they *do* read ITSO cards with [outboundary] travelcards
loaded? Anyone tried?
--
Roland Perry
  #8   Report Post  
Old January 24th 20, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2018
Posts: 133
Default Twirly cards on TfL buses

On 24/01/2020 00:49, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:


When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.


It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly cards aren't
valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last of your four drivers
was correct.


You're no doubt right, but I thought it worth a try..! 3 out of 4 isn't
bad..!

Can't think why all of them aren't valid UK-wide, though.


--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]
  #9   Report Post  
Old January 24th 20, 07:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,849
Default Twirly cards on TfL buses

In message , at 16:50:53 on Fri, 24
Jan 2020, MissRiaElaine remarked:
When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.


It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly cards
aren't valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last of your
four drivers was correct.


You're no doubt right, but I thought it worth a try..! 3 out of 4 isn't
bad..!

Can't think why all of them aren't valid UK-wide, though.


Because transport is devolved to Scotland?
--
Roland Perry
  #10   Report Post  
Old January 24th 20, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,533
Default Twirly cards on TfL buses

On 24/01/2020 19:55, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:50:53 on Fri, 24
Jan 2020, MissRiaElaine remarked:
When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.

¬*It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly cards
aren't¬* valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last of your
four drivers¬* was correct.


You're no doubt right, but I thought it worth a try..! 3 out of 4
isn't bad..!

Can't think why all of them aren't valid UK-wide, though.


Because transport is devolved to Scotland?


Presumably the same applies to Wales and Ulster?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
foreign contactless cards on Buses (MR article) tim..... London Transport 10 March 4th 13 01:09 AM
Oyster Cards damaged by proximity door entry cards neill London Transport 5 March 24th 12 07:28 PM
Contacting TFL (and use of gold card "registered" oyster cards) Tim Woodall London Transport 11 December 31st 10 05:16 PM
Oyster cards on buses Courtney Cong London Transport 23 August 18th 06 01:07 PM
Oyster Cards on buses - 50% failure rate? Gordon Joly London Transport 13 January 10th 04 09:05 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2020 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017