London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 20, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 603
Default Coronavirus: TfL reveals 20 busiest Tube and train

wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2020 20:30:06 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
tim... wrote:


wrote in message ...
On Thu, 21 May 2020 17:35:57 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 21/05/2020 10:01, wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 09:10:48 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
The number of new cases in London has now fallen to zero in a 24-hour
period:




https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/c...res-decline-ph


e-a4446336.html

and yet, there will be no regional variation in the rules



https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...es-regional-va


riation-easing-lockdown-covid/

Given the spinelessness evident at #10 there'll probably be no variation
in
the rules for weeks even though other EU countries are now all easing
restrictions far more than us. What did we do to deserve an ineffectual
blustering muppet like Boris in charge at a time like this?


You voted for him.

I suspect most people didn't vote for Boris, they voted against Corbyn. I
had
no illusions about Boris being useless - he was mayor here for 8 years and
achieved bugger all in that time except some overpriced badly designed
buses
and closing tube ticket offices against advice

though that latter items doesn't appear to have been the disaster it was
predicted to be.


True. Both Ken and Boris initially wanted to keep them open, then changed
their minds, and as you say, it's worked out OK.


Not a disaster, but go to somewhere like oxford street or victoria during
normal times and there'll be a queue of confused tourists waiting to speak
to whichever station worker drew the short straw that morning to be
Mr Information. There's still the same number of staff except now with some
unused office space. What has it achieved?



I think they now have significantly fewer staff on duty, particularly away
from the dozen or so tourist and visitor hotspots.


  #62   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 20, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2019
Posts: 294
Default Coronavirus: TfL reveals 20 busiest Tube and train

On Sat, 23 May 2020 10:13:16 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Fri, 22 May 2020 18:27:02 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message
...
On Thu, 21 May 2020 09:55:52 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
He's changed a lot since his near-death experience. He was previously a
gung-ho risk-taker, but is now a timid, cautious character, at least in
this respect. Being a new father (yet again) probably also makes him a
lot
more cautious.

Thats probably true, but he needs to snap out of it and realise the
policies
are now doing far more damage than the virus. There was some (probably
exaggerated) figure of 7 million doctor and hospital appointments
backlog.
Even if its only 1 million thats a lot of people with potentially
serious
problems not having them sorted. And god knows how many cancer patients
are
or will soon be dead due to the NHS focusing on covid.

but what can he do if the unions (and apparently loads of parents) are
against this plan


The unions are just sabre rattling and will soon settle down. And I'm a
parent
and I have no problem with my child going back to school. If others do
then
thats fine by me - smaller class sizes.

people can't go back to work unless they can send their kids to school and
commute on the train

and the unions are doing their best to block those two things


Any government with a working pair of ******** (which rules out the
current one)
could enact emergency legislation at a time like this to put the unions
back in their box by making striking illegal for X months and shutting
down
any union that proposes it.


refusing to go to work because your workplace is "unsafe" under H&S regs, is
not legally "a strike"


Except its not unsafe if you believe the scientists. The unions were more
than happy to believe them when they said we needed a lockdown, yet for some
strange reason I can't quite fathom they decide not to believe them when it
means their members may have to go back to actually doing some work.

  #63   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 20, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2019
Posts: 294
Default Coronavirus: TfL reveals 20 busiest Tube and train

On Sat, 23 May 2020 10:14:50 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Fri, 22 May 2020 20:30:06 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
tim... wrote:


wrote in message
...
On Thu, 21 May 2020 17:35:57 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 21/05/2020 10:01, wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 09:10:48 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
The number of new cases in London has now fallen to zero in a
24-hour
period:




https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/c...gures-decline-

ph


e-a4446336.html

and yet, there will be no regional variation in the rules



https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ules-regional-

va


riation-easing-lockdown-covid/

Given the spinelessness evident at #10 there'll probably be no
variation
in
the rules for weeks even though other EU countries are now all easing
restrictions far more than us. What did we do to deserve an
ineffectual
blustering muppet like Boris in charge at a time like this?


You voted for him.

I suspect most people didn't vote for Boris, they voted against Corbyn.
I
had
no illusions about Boris being useless - he was mayor here for 8 years
and
achieved bugger all in that time except some overpriced badly designed
buses
and closing tube ticket offices against advice

though that latter items doesn't appear to have been the disaster it was
predicted to be.

True. Both Ken and Boris initially wanted to keep them open, then changed
their minds, and as you say, it's worked out OK.


Not a disaster, but go to somewhere like oxford street or victoria during
normal times and there'll be a queue of confused tourists waiting to speak
to whichever station worker drew the short straw that morning to be
Mr Information.


who would have previously been in the long queue for the counter staff

what's the difference here?


I don't know about you, but I tend to have more information available to me
in a more convenient manner when sitting at a desk than when walking around
trying to poke a tiny smartphone screen. Plus staff behind a window can't be
assaulted.

There's still the same number of staff except now with some
unused office space. What has it achieved?


the opportunity to make a different use of that office space in the future


Its been quite a few years and nothing has happened yet.

  #64   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 20, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 603
Default Coronavirus: TfL reveals 20 busiest Tube and train

wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2020 10:13:16 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Fri, 22 May 2020 18:27:02 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message
...
On Thu, 21 May 2020 09:55:52 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
He's changed a lot since his near-death experience. He was previously a
gung-ho risk-taker, but is now a timid, cautious character, at least in
this respect. Being a new father (yet again) probably also makes him a
lot
more cautious.

Thats probably true, but he needs to snap out of it and realise the
policies
are now doing far more damage than the virus. There was some (probably
exaggerated) figure of 7 million doctor and hospital appointments
backlog.
Even if its only 1 million thats a lot of people with potentially
serious
problems not having them sorted. And god knows how many cancer patients
are
or will soon be dead due to the NHS focusing on covid.

but what can he do if the unions (and apparently loads of parents) are
against this plan

The unions are just sabre rattling and will soon settle down. And I'm a
parent
and I have no problem with my child going back to school. If others do
then
thats fine by me - smaller class sizes.

people can't go back to work unless they can send their kids to school and
commute on the train

and the unions are doing their best to block those two things

Any government with a working pair of ******** (which rules out the
current one)
could enact emergency legislation at a time like this to put the unions
back in their box by making striking illegal for X months and shutting
down
any union that proposes it.


refusing to go to work because your workplace is "unsafe" under H&S regs, is
not legally "a strike"


Except its not unsafe if you believe the scientists. The unions were more
than happy to believe them when they said we needed a lockdown, yet for some
strange reason I can't quite fathom they decide not to believe them when it
means their members may have to go back to actually doing some work.


Apparently teachers have had a significantly lower death rate from Covid
than the wider population, after correcting for age and gender. The
greatest risk of schools reopening is the journey to and from the school.

  #65   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 20, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,124
Default Coronavirus: TfL reveals 20 busiest Tube and train

On 23/05/2020 09:54, wrote:


Any government with a working pair of ******** (which rules out the current one)
could enact emergency legislation at a time like this to put the unions
back in their box by making striking illegal for X months and shutting down
any union that proposes it.


Wouldn't that risk turning into more of a politician with one bollock
approach?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK


  #66   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 20, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,983
Default Coronavirus: TfL reveals 20 busiest Tube and train

In message , at 09:49:46 on Sat, 23 May
2020, Recliner remarked:

Apparently teachers have had a significantly lower death rate from Covid
than the wider population, after correcting for age and gender. The
greatest risk of schools reopening is the journey to and from the school.


Which in my experience is, for teachers, overwhelmingly not on public
transport. Apart from anything else it's not reliable enough to
guarantee to get you for 8.30am, not a minute later.

Also, many bus routes avoid schools before 9am, because they don't want
the hassle of kids on stage buses (yes, I've discussed this specific
issue with a bus company when writing a school's transport policy).
--
Roland Perry
  #67   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 20, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,595
Default Coronavirus: TfL reveals 20 busiest Tube and train

On 23/05/2020 09:54, wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2020 18:27:02 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
wrote in message ...
On Thu, 21 May 2020 09:55:52 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
He's changed a lot since his near-death experience. He was previously a
gung-ho risk-taker, but is now a timid, cautious character, at least in
this respect. Being a new father (yet again) probably also makes him a lot
more cautious.

Thats probably true, but he needs to snap out of it and realise the
policies
are now doing far more damage than the virus. There was some (probably
exaggerated) figure of 7 million doctor and hospital appointments backlog.
Even if its only 1 million thats a lot of people with potentially serious
problems not having them sorted. And god knows how many cancer patients
are
or will soon be dead due to the NHS focusing on covid.


but what can he do if the unions (and apparently loads of parents) are
against this plan


The unions are just sabre rattling and will soon settle down. And I'm a parent
and I have no problem with my child going back to school. If others do then
thats fine by me - smaller class sizes.

people can't go back to work unless they can send their kids to school and
commute on the train

and the unions are doing their best to block those two things


Any government with a working pair of ******** (which rules out the current one)
could enact emergency legislation at a time like this to put the unions
back in their box by making striking illegal for X months and shutting down
any union that proposes it.


The one thing that would guarantee Mr Cash's wet dream of a general strike.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

  #68   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 20, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 603
Default Coronavirus: TfL reveals 20 busiest Tube and train

On Sat, 23 May 2020 11:54:32 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 09:49:46 on Sat, 23 May
2020, Recliner remarked:

Apparently teachers have had a significantly lower death rate from Covid
than the wider population, after correcting for age and gender. The
greatest risk of schools reopening is the journey to and from the school.


Which in my experience is, for teachers, overwhelmingly not on public
transport. Apart from anything else it's not reliable enough to
guarantee to get you for 8.30am, not a minute later.

Also, many bus routes avoid schools before 9am, because they don't want
the hassle of kids on stage buses (yes, I've discussed this specific
issue with a bus company when writing a school's transport policy).


Yes, I was thinking of the dangers of the drive to work.
  #69   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 20, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,983
Default Coronavirus: TfL reveals 20 busiest Tube and train

In message , at 13:12:04 on
Sat, 23 May 2020, Recliner remarked:

Apparently teachers have had a significantly lower death rate from Covid
than the wider population, after correcting for age and gender. The
greatest risk of schools reopening is the journey to and from the school.


Which in my experience is, for teachers, overwhelmingly not on public
transport. Apart from anything else it's not reliable enough to
guarantee to get you for 8.30am, not a minute later.

Also, many bus routes avoid schools before 9am, because they don't want
the hassle of kids on stage buses (yes, I've discussed this specific
issue with a bus company when writing a school's transport policy).


Yes, I was thinking of the dangers of the drive to work.


Apart from the fact lots of people are driving with their eyes shut
because they apparently expect exclusive use of deserted roads, what's
the risk you allude to?
--
Roland Perry
  #70   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 20, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 603
Default Coronavirus: TfL reveals 20 busiest Tube and train

On Sat, 23 May 2020 13:27:34 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 13:12:04 on
Sat, 23 May 2020, Recliner remarked:

Apparently teachers have had a significantly lower death rate from Covid
than the wider population, after correcting for age and gender. The
greatest risk of schools reopening is the journey to and from the school.

Which in my experience is, for teachers, overwhelmingly not on public
transport. Apart from anything else it's not reliable enough to
guarantee to get you for 8.30am, not a minute later.

Also, many bus routes avoid schools before 9am, because they don't want
the hassle of kids on stage buses (yes, I've discussed this specific
issue with a bus company when writing a school's transport policy).


Yes, I was thinking of the dangers of the drive to work.


Apart from the fact lots of people are driving with their eyes shut
because they apparently expect exclusive use of deserted roads, what's
the risk you allude to?


Just the normal risks of the road, nothing special. In other words,
their risks of catching covid-19 are no worse than the risks of
everyday life.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coronavirus case attended UK Bus Summit in Westminster Basil Jet[_4_] London Transport 3 February 15th 20 03:32 PM
6 Thameslink services to avoid after March 2009 Sky Rider London Transport 0 October 31st 08 04:53 PM
AVOID BA AND HEATHROW AND KEEP YOUR LUGGAGE SB London Transport 0 July 12th 08 09:04 AM
How to avoid fair evasion David Howdon London Transport 8 May 14th 07 10:44 PM
Take a Holiday and avoid train problems. CJG London Transport 0 August 27th 03 09:47 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017