Old May 26th 04, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bottled water on tube

"Gary Jenkins" wrote in message
om...
During the hot spell last week the announcer at Westminster Tube was
advising passengers to carry bottled water with them.

As far as I know the tube has been operating for over 100 yeras
without any seriious incidents of dehydrated passengers. Have the
operators now lost confidenc in their ability to get people to their
destination within a reasonable time?

For the last two summers, bottled water was being handed out at many central
tube stations free of charge in the mornings, although I strongly suspect
that this gesture was entirely at the expense of Volvic/Evian/Whoever,
rather than being a LU or TFL-sponsored thing ....

Matt

Old May 26th 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:05:28 +0100, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

"JB" wrote in message

Might be an even better idea if they had some free water fountains on each
platform.

It wouldn't be allowed by H&S. Water would have to be in sealed containers.

I remember that when I was a sprog Barons Court had a fountain on at
least one platform.

Fountains in parks etc were more common than now. One I remember still
stood six months ago in the entrance to the park near Turnhan Green
station.Not the park directly opposite,the one other side of the
bridge. ISTR that it and others like it (big brown things) had metal
cups attached by chains as well.
And I also remember being admonished for taking a drink from a horse
trough of which there were still working examples around.
Despite availing myselfs of these facilities which have been withdrawn
now because of Health concerns I seem to have not suffered.
Needed a visit to a GP last year due to a broken ankle.
Found since my last visit which was to register back in 1974
that the practise had closed and flats built on the site.

G.Harman
Old May 26th 04, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Last year our mate Ken made lots of noises about requiring TfL to get on
with cooling the tube, etc. It all seems to have gone quiet - anyone
know whether any progress has been made?

John

In article , M J Forbes
writes

. com...

--
John Alexander,

Old May 26th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

What is the perceived hazard from having water coming out of a tap, the

way
it has done for many decades and the way that it still does in private
houses? As long as the water comes from the rising main and not from a
storage tank, I don't see what the problem is.

Especially considering some stations appear to have water continually
leaking from unknown sources onto/into the trackbed.

Andrew

Old May 26th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes

I believe so, and I find that a request for "une carafe d'eau" is
accepted more willingly in France than asking for tap water in an
English restaurant. I have never been charged for tap water in either
country, though I once found a restaurant (Old Siam in Reading) that
refused to serve it.

I've often asked for, and got, a jug of water in London restaurants.
I've not been refused yet, though I have to be quick before someone in
the group pipes up for 'mineral water, please'.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google

Old May 26th 04, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

J.B.:
Might be an even better idea if they had some free water fountains on each
platform.

Jack Taylor:
It wouldn't be allowed by H&S.

David Walters:
Why not? One of the things I like about The US is in most public
places [there] will be a water fountain.

True, but I can't think of any subway systems that have them on the
platforms. Some cities prohibit eating and drinking on subway trains.

There are two classes of problem. The first is that a drinking fountains
aren't usually placed in environments frequented by those who would
vandalize them, assault others with a spray of water, and so on. Okay,
maybe "frequented" is too strong, but you know what I mean.

Second is the possibility of the fountain causing an accident. If there
is water then it will be spilled sometime, and someone will slip, fall
the wrong way, and (choose the one you care more about) suffer a serious
injury and/or file a lawsuit. Yeah, this is possible anyway where the
platforms are exposed to rainwater, but water fountains would certainly
increase the probability.

In addition, one could imagine the case where a defective fountain
produced a continuous stream of water that flowed down to track level
and, despite the third and fourth rails being raised on insulators,
managed to contact something live. It seems unlikely to me that this
presents a serious risk, but I could be wrong, and to safety Nazis,
"unlikely a serious risk" is insufficient anyway.

Besides all that, someone would have to pay for it. And that includes
drainpipes as well as a water supply.
--
Mark Brader | The last 10% of the performance sought contributes
Toronto | one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems.

Old May 26th 04, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
. ..

there is nothing in law to stop anyone charging
for tap water in their own establishment

I've been informed that the difference between a pub and an inn is that inns
are legally obliged to give free water. This sounds like an urban myth to
me.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 26th 04, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:
"JB" wrote in message

Might be an even better idea if they had some free water fountains on each
platform.

It wouldn't be allowed by H&S. Water would have to be in sealed containers.

Presumably that doesn't include the water on platforms that was once rain?

Old May 26th 04, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , M J Forbes
writes

"Gary Jenkins" wrote in message
. com...
During the hot spell last week the announcer at Westminster Tube was
advising passengers to carry bottled water with them.

As far as I know the tube has been operating for over 100 yeras
without any seriious incidents of dehydrated passengers. Have the
operators now lost confidenc in their ability to get people to their
destination within a reasonable time?

For the last two summers, bottled water was being handed out at many central
tube stations free of charge in the mornings, although I strongly suspect
that this gesture was entirely at the expense of Volvic/Evian/Whoever,
rather than being a LU or TFL-sponsored thing ....

Last summer we had crates of bottled water on the station for emergency
use. Unfortunately when we thought we might need it a week or so ago, it
was all past its Sell-By date.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old May 26th 04, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John wrote:
In article , M J Forbes
writes

"Gary Jenkins" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

One of his manifesto points is to have air-conditioning installed on the
new subsurface fleet, thus bringing it to at least four lines (assuming
the ELLX will use other, mainline stock - if it ever gets built).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7