Old May 26th 04, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bottled water on tube

During the hot spell last week the announcer at Westminster Tube was
advising passengers to carry bottled water with them.

As far as I know the tube has been operating for over 100 yeras
without any seriious incidents of dehydrated passengers. Have the
operators now lost confidenc in their ability to get people to their
destination within a reasonable time?

Old May 26th 04, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Gary Jenkins wrote:
During the hot spell last week the announcer at Westminster Tube was
advising passengers to carry bottled water with them.

As far as I know the tube has been operating for over 100 yeras
without any seriious incidents of dehydrated passengers.

As far as I can recall, they have been suggesting this since the
incident a couple of years ago when a very hot and crowded Victoria Line
train was stuck near Highbury and Islington for quite some time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2686441.stm

Have the
operators now lost confidenc in their ability to get people to their
destination within a reasonable time?

dave
Old May 26th 04, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Gary Jenkins wrote:

During the hot spell last week the announcer at Westminster Tube was
advising passengers to carry bottled water with them.

As far as I know the tube has been operating for over 100 yeras
without any seriious incidents of dehydrated passengers.

another link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/re...res/tube.shtml
Old May 26th 04, 09:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Gary Jenkins wrote:

During the hot spell last week the announcer at Westminster Tube was
advising passengers to carry bottled water with them.

As far as I know the tube has been operating for over 100 yeras
without any seriious incidents of dehydrated passengers. Have the
operators now lost confidenc in their ability to get people to their
destination within a reasonable time?

Might be a good idea if they put vending machins selling bottled water
on the tube rather than the endless chocolate and sugary fizzy drink.

Old May 26th 04, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
JB JB is offline

"Stuart" wrote in message
Gary Jenkins wrote:

During the hot spell last week the announcer at Westminster Tube was
advising passengers to carry bottled water with them.

As far as I know the tube has been operating for over 100 yeras
without any seriious incidents of dehydrated passengers. Have the
operators now lost confidenc in their ability to get people to their
destination within a reasonable time?

Might be a good idea if they put vending machins selling bottled water
on the tube rather than the endless chocolate and sugary fizzy drink.

Might be an even better idea if they had some free water fountains on each
platform.

Old May 26th 04, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

JB wrote:

Might be an even better idea if they had some free water fountains on each
platform.

Ah, you mean urinals? ;-) (They will most likely be used as such......)

--
Lars Elmvang
Min mailadresse finder du ved kun at skrive det overeksponerede

Old May 26th 04, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"JB" wrote in message

Might be an even better idea if they had some free water fountains on each
platform.

It wouldn't be allowed by H&S. Water would have to be in sealed containers.

Old May 26th 04, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:05:28 +0100, Jack Taylor wrote:

"JB" wrote in message

Might be an even better idea if they had some free water fountains on each
platform.

It wouldn't be allowed by H&S.

Why not? One of the things I like about The US is in most public
places their will be a water fountain. If they can handle it why
can't we?

Water would have to be in sealed containers.

Why is it different from the tap in the corner of my office?

David
Old May 26th 04, 11:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Stuart typed

Gary Jenkins wrote:

During the hot spell last week the announcer at Westminster Tube was
advising passengers to carry bottled water with them.

As far as I know the tube has been operating for over 100 yeras
without any seriious incidents of dehydrated passengers. Have the
operators now lost confidenc in their ability to get people to their
destination within a reasonable time?

Might be a good idea if they put vending machins selling bottled water
on the tube rather than the endless chocolate and sugary fizzy drink.

The Coca-Cola machine I last tried (Harrow-on-the-Hill I think but could
have been Preston Road) did sell water but it was empty...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 26th 04, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
. ..

"JB" wrote in message

Might be an even better idea if they had some free water fountains on

each
platform.

It wouldn't be allowed by H&S. Water would have to be in sealed

containers.

Is that motivated purely by H&S considerations or (being cynical) could it
be that bottled water can be charged for (and therefore someone can make a
profit out of those sales) whereas a water fountain cannot easily be made
profitable?

What is the perceived hazard from having water coming out of a tap, the way
it has done for many decades and the way that it still does in private
houses? As long as the water comes from the rising main and not from a
storage tank, I don't see what the problem is.