Old May 27th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Buskers, Oyster prepay

There was an unlicenced busker at St Paul's a few days ago who nearly
poked my eye out with the bow of her violin. She was standing right at
the bottom of the escalators and her bow was poking into the escalator
on the left at about eye level for a tall person. I passed through
today and she was still there, but at least she had moved from the eye
poking position.

Oyster prepay has the rather annoying ability of allowing you to travel
without a travelcard when you actually want to buy one. I fairly
regularly end up being charged for making journeys and buying a
travelcard later in the day. Will capping be able to take it into
account if you make journeys on prepay and then later in the day buy a
period ticket (weekly, monthly etc.) that would have covered those
journeys? This would be handy for things like taking a bus to the local
tube station to buy your ticket.

--
message by Robin May. Inimitable, but would you want to anyway?
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.

Old May 27th 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Robin May
writes
There was an unlicenced busker at St Paul's a few days ago who nearly
poked my eye out with the bow of her violin. She was standing right at
the bottom of the escalators and her bow was poking into the escalator
on the left at about eye level for a tall person. I passed through
today and she was still there, but at least she had moved from the eye
poking position.

So did you ask the station staff to boot her out? There were 2 guys
playing guitars there a couple of days ago.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old May 27th 04, 10:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith wrote the following in:

In article ,
Robin May writes
There was an unlicenced busker at St Paul's a few days ago who
nearly poked my eye out with the bow of her violin. She was
standing right at the bottom of the escalators and her bow was
poking into the escalator on the left at about eye level for a
tall person. I passed through today and she was still there, but
at least she had moved from the eye poking position.

So did you ask the station staff to boot her out? There were 2
guys playing guitars there a couple of days ago.

No, she was at the bottom, they were at the top (of the escalators) and
she would have been very clearly audible to them, perhaps even visible
too. I thought that if they hadn't bothered to get rid of her already
then me saying something probably wouldn't change matters.

Old May 28th 04, 06:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Robin May
writes
Andrew P Smith wrote the following in:

In article ,
Robin May writes
There was an unlicenced busker at St Paul's a few days ago who
nearly poked my eye out with the bow of her violin. She was
standing right at the bottom of the escalators and her bow was
poking into the escalator on the left at about eye level for a
tall person. I passed through today and she was still there, but
at least she had moved from the eye poking position.

So did you ask the station staff to boot her out? There were 2
guys playing guitars there a couple of days ago.

No, she was at the bottom, they were at the top (of the escalators) and
she would have been very clearly audible to them, perhaps even visible
too. I thought that if they hadn't bothered to get rid of her already
then me saying something probably wouldn't change matters.

Well, if they weren't licensed buskers on a licensed pitch (and the
bottom of the escalators at St Pauls' isn't IIRC then the station staff
should have booted them out or got the BTP to do it.

Clogging the bottom of the escalator area is dangerous.
Old May 28th 04, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On 27 May 2004 21:50:13 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

Oyster prepay has the rather annoying ability of allowing you to travel
without a travelcard when you actually want to buy one.

???

I fairly regularly end up being charged for making journeys and buying a
travelcard later in the day.

Why is that any different from paper ticketing? Surely if you travel
before buying a travelcard you have to pay for those journeys?

Old May 28th 04, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith typed

Well, if they weren't licensed buskers on a licensed pitch (and the
bottom of the escalators at St Pauls' isn't IIRC then the station staff
should have booted them out or got the BTP to do it.

Clogging the bottom of the escalator area is dangerous.

I think there *might* be a licensed pitch somewhere sat St Pauls.
I am mighty fed up of the guitarist who only plays that darned Cavatina
though.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old May 28th 04, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Oyster prepay has the rather annoying ability of allowing you to
travel without a travelcard when you actually want to buy one.

???

Travelcard runs out, you've forgotten about it, put your oyster on the
reader and it lets you through because it charges the ticket to your
prepay.

I fairly regularly end up being charged for making journeys and
buying a
travelcard later in the day.

Why is that any different from paper ticketing? Surely if you
travel before buying a travelcard you have to pay for those
journeys?

Because with a paper ticket if it's run out and you put it in the gates
it won't let you through. Therefore you won't be charged for a journey
you actually wanted to buy a travelcard to cover. With an oyster you
can forget your ticket has run out, put it on the gates and instead of
being prevented from getting through it will let you through but charge
you.

Old May 28th 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On 28 May 2004 10:28:37 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

Travelcard runs out, you've forgotten about it, put your oyster on the
reader and it lets you through because it charges the ticket to your
prepay.

Ah, yes, of course.

Because with a paper ticket if it's run out and you put it in the gates
it won't let you through. Therefore you won't be charged for a journey
you actually wanted to buy a travelcard to cover. With an oyster you
can forget your ticket has run out, put it on the gates and instead of
being prevented from getting through it will let you through but charge
you.

Yes, I see the problem now. Plus of course your less likely to know
its run out as you can't see the expiry date on it. (Although I've
seen some messages come up on gates which say it will soon run out)

Old June 1st 04, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

sod the rest of it, the subject line just raises such an interesting
concept...

So - when WILL the official licenced busker pitches be equipped with Oyster
readers, so you can use your prepay credit to donate to them?
Old June 1st 04, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The solution seems simple: require buskers to use only defective Oyster
cards, thus preventing them from blocking ped traffic within the system.