Old June 13th 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Okay, so what was I meant to do?

"Joe" wrote in message
jimmy boy wrote:
Am I right in saying that the permit should be purchased with coins up

the value of the ticket required and by not doing so he is liable for a
penalty fare if it can be proven that he had coins to that value?

What about if he was not aware of the fare, at least he bothered to get

one.
--

True, but how many tickets can you buy for under £1? As you say at least he
bothered to get one.

Jim

Old June 14th 04, 03:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"jimmy boy" wrote in message ...
"Joe" wrote in message
jimmy boy wrote:
Am I right in saying that the permit should be purchased with coins up

the value of the ticket required and by not doing so he is liable for a
penalty fare if it can be proven that he had coins to that value?

What about if he was not aware of the fare, at least he bothered to get

one.
--

True, but how many tickets can you buy for under £1? As you say at least he
bothered to get one.

The fare was £25.40. There's no way I'd have enough coinage to insert
that much anyway. I actually wanted to pay by card when I finally
found someone who would sell me a ticket, so it seems utterly sensible
to me to put the minimum cash in, ie 5p. Which brings me on to another
point - why don't SWT stations have FastTicket machines like there
are at normal stations? Don't they want anyone to pay fares in the
evening?
Old June 14th 04, 03:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Roland Perry wrote in message cy.com...
In message , James
writes
If I'd bought an LU ticket, it would have got swallowed at KXSP

They aren't, because you need to be able to change from the deep level
lines to sub-surface lines, and that requires exiting barriers.

Ah I'd forgotten it was weird like that - I very rarely use anything
but the Victoria Line there.
Old June 14th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , MIG
writes
Why do so many people equate their opportunity to get away with not
paying with whether they should pay or not?

I think some of it dates back to when the railways were nationalised,
and fares felt a bit more like a "tax" than a "payment". I know several
people (not including myself) that take the view that "if they can't be
bothered to collect the money or clip the ticket, why should I ?"

Old June 14th 04, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:43:42 +0100 someone who may be Roland Perry
wrote this:-

I think some of it dates back to when the railways were nationalised,
and fares felt a bit more like a "tax" than a "payment". I know several
people (not including myself) that take the view that "if they can't be
bothered to collect the money or clip the ticket, why should I ?"

A few years ago I tried to buy a ticket for a journey which I had
made from a station with no open ticket office. The staff at the
station I had got off at would not sell me one. This was in the
thrusting era of privatisation, rather than the useless BR BTW. As a
result I now have a very simple approach. I will get on the train
and if someone comes along I will try to catch their attention [1]
so that I can buy a ticket. If they don't want to sell me a ticket
then that is their loss.

Most businesses make it easy for customers to buy. The railways need
to learn this.

[1] They have rushed past me on occasion though I have usually
managed to get their attention the second time they passed.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old June 14th 04, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , James
writes

Which brings me on to another
point - why don't SWT stations have FastTicket machines like there
are at normal stations? Don't they want anyone to pay fares in the
evening?

Because the chance of survival for any length of time in some of the
areas that SWT run through is quite minimal. Most have QuickFare
machines with a limited range of destinations, ticket types and railcard
options, but FastTicket type machines are restricted to major stations
such as Guildford (though it was out of order last Saturday) and
Waterloo.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do
Old June 14th 04, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"David Hansen" wrote in message

A few years ago I tried to buy a ticket for a journey which I had
made from a station with no open ticket office. The staff at the
station I had got off at would not sell me one. This was in the
thrusting era of privatisation, rather than the useless BR BTW. As a
result I now have a very simple approach. I will get on the train
and if someone comes along I will try to catch their attention [1]
so that I can buy a ticket. If they don't want to sell me a ticket
then that is their loss.

Recently I was ter) at Longfield, or on the train, or at Rochester. In fact
I obtained a PTT to the value of the ticket. On the way back, the conductor
cheerfully and correctly exchanged it for a CDR from Longfield to Rochester,
even though I was on the return leg of the journey.
Peter

Old June 14th 04, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article , David Hansen
writes
wrote this:-

[...]

Well I travelled from West Worthing to Brighton not so long ago. Ticket
office at WW was shut, PTT machine was broken as was the platform ticket
machine. I boarded the train. A member of staff came along and I asked
to buy a return ticket. She said she couldn't sell me a ticket on the
train as she didn't have a ticket machine and that I should pay at my
destination. I got off at Brighton to find the barriers open and the
ticket booth trackside unmanned.

Did I buy a ticket? No, 'cos I couldn't,
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old June 14th 04, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

I've just realised something quite shocking. If I'd got onto
Thameslink whilst within LU fare control and changed at Luton (I had
plenty of time - there's a big gap before the 2340), I could have got
from Kingston to Leicester for 5p. This really takes the ****. No
wonder our railways are losing money.

Possibly. However, that line is usually quite well manned by TIs, especially
in the evenings when the ticket offices are closed. In fact you are almost
guaranteed to get one unless the train is packed due to people returning
from some sporting event.

Marcus