Old July 15th 04, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Changing railstation names

Richard J. wrote:
David Splett wrote:

Why do we have to have any stations named after Arsenal? Some of
us don't care in the slightest about football.

Because it's better known than Gillespie Road.

Do you feel the same way about cricket? If so, what alternative but
distinctive name would you therefore propose for Oval?

[Crossposting trimmed]

How about Oval? I don't really care about cricket, but Footy is getting
more popular every year...

Old July 15th 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Al Al is offline

Niklas Karlsson wrote:

In article , Al wrote:
Niklas Karlsson wrote:

In article , Al wrote:

There could be no more more gormless a requiem for the art of
conversation than the above.

*yawn*

If that's your idea of conversation, then good riddance to said "art".

Not conversation but a jest at your gormlessness. Unsuprisingly, you
couldn't tell.

I was referring not to your response above, which was abundantly clear
in meaning, but to your earlier description and its implications. I
admit my phrasing was not the clearest.

Your phrasing was clear! Just not the snipping. Talking of which, I
understand hardressers give free haircuts to those blokes getting married,
and that newlyweds are given tours of airplane cockpits. I wonder if it'd
work with LUL?

All the best, sir, and enjoy your jaw-flapping.

I shall. Enjoy your identikit friends, their identikit views and I trust
you are no more detained by people impudently different than your good
self.

I shall, although I have no objections to such "detainment", nor to
people different than myself.

Did you not recently say that you preferred the company of those with whom
you share interests? IWSTM that you therefore prefer /not/ to have the
company of those who don't. That circle looks a good fit for a corner...

In fact, the words 'pot', 'kettle' and
'black' spring to mind upon reading the latter part of your sentence.

I am hardly detained to purposively stop at the side of the SuperInterWebWay
and shine the light of the new at the wretched creatures I find. Think of
it as my good deed for the day!
--
Al
Old July 15th 04, 02:35 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In article , Al wrote:
Niklas Karlsson wrote:

In article , Al wrote:
Niklas Karlsson wrote:

*yawn*

If that's your idea of conversation, then good riddance to said "art".

Not conversation but a jest at your gormlessness. Unsuprisingly, you
couldn't tell.

I was referring not to your response above, which was abundantly clear
in meaning, but to your earlier description and its implications. I
admit my phrasing was not the clearest.

Your phrasing was clear! Just not the snipping.

You are, of course, correct.

Talking of which, I understand hardressers give free haircuts to those
blokes getting married, and that newlyweds are given tours of airplane
cockpits. I wonder if it'd work with LUL?

That could be amusing. I wonder if it'd ever be possible to get it past
the HSE, though. :-)

All the best, sir, and enjoy your jaw-flapping.

I shall. Enjoy your identikit friends, their identikit views and I trust
you are no more detained by people impudently different than your good
self.

I shall, although I have no objections to such "detainment", nor to
people different than myself.

Did you not recently say that you preferred the company of those with whom
you share interests? IWSTM that you therefore prefer /not/ to have the
company of those who don't.

Yes, or rather I said I preferred not to have idle conversations with
them. That is not the same as finding them objectionable or "impudently
different", as I merely find them uninteresting rather than actually
offensive. Indeed, the world would be a rather boring place if everyone
were the same.

I am sure that there are also people whose company you're not
particularly interested in, even if you don't actively dislike them or
find them offensive.

In fact, the words 'pot', 'kettle' and
'black' spring to mind upon reading the latter part of your sentence.

I am hardly detained to purposively stop at the side of the SuperInterWebWay
and shine the light of the new at the wretched creatures I find. Think of
it as my good deed for the day!

I was referring to the "impudently different" part. Perhaps I need to
reduce the blood content of my caffeine stream so I can manage to phrase
myself in a clearer fashion.

Niklas
London, UK
--
"Our code of laws is based on beer commercials."
-- Squiffy, Pandimaniacs
Old July 15th 04, 02:43 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Tristán White" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:43:15 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:
"Al" wrote in message

Anyway, knowing about football is like the tubs of KY
ladies carry around perchance they meet John Rowland --
vital lubricant for intercourse. No lubricant,
no intercourse, you graceless fiends!

I've just realised that I am the Ahmed of ULL.

Who would be our Marco?

I don't know, but you'd be our Nadger.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 15th 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Al Al is offline

Niklas Karlsson wrote:

In article , Al wrote:
Niklas Karlsson wrote:

In article , Al wrote:
Niklas Karlsson wrote:

Talking of which, I understand hardressers give free haircuts to those
blokes getting married, and that newlyweds are given tours of airplane
cockpits. I wonder if it'd work with LUL?

That could be amusing. I wonder if it'd ever be possible to get it past
the HSE, though. :-)

"I'm getting married. Single from Oxford St to Piccadilly Circus in the
driver's seat please. And no driver. And a ten minute stop in the tunnel.
Ta"

I am sure that there are also people whose company you're not
particularly interested in, even if you don't actively dislike them or
find them offensive.

There's only person I don't talk to, and that's for the very good reason
that he's in inutterable ****. For everyone else, I try to engage them
whoever they are.

Engaging people is easy. Easy because everybody loves to talk about
themselves, and most are delighted to discover someone has taken the time
to find out something of their interests. For instance, visiting friends in
California I took the time to discover the sporting allegiance of those
whom I was visiting, and find out how well their team was doing. They're
delighted to have someone start the conversation off with something nice
and easy (qv 'icebreaker'), besides themselves with glee talking about how
they feel about their teams performance, etc, and left with a fabulous
impression both of me, and those like me. Plus I got three girlfriends out
of it whilst there. Not bad for ten minutes on google and the ability to
keep one's own mouth shut and ears open.

Miserable sods who have nothing to add (Dinsdale and Splatt come to mind)
except how they don't like what's being discussed deserve any hammering
they get. FFS, how egomaniacal to imagine anyone cares what they don't
like!

In fact, the words 'pot', 'kettle' and
'black' spring to mind upon reading the latter part of your sentence.

I am hardly detained to purposively stop at the side of the
SuperInterWebWay and shine the light of the new at the wretched creatures
I find. Think of it as my good deed for the day!

I was referring to the "impudently different" part. Perhaps I need to
reduce the blood content of my caffeine stream so I can manage to phrase
myself in a clearer fashion.

Yes, twenty to five, mate.
--
Al

Old July 15th 04, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , Ian Tindale
writes
You wouldn't want to suggest renaming "Trent Bridge" (in Nottingham) on
all the bus timetables, just because there's a cricket ground nearby,
would you?

In that case, Upton Park station should be renamed West Ham. That'll
alleviate any confusion.

Oddly enough there's a bridge over the river Trent called Trent Bridge;
however the nearest patch of open space in West Ham is called Priory
Park. There's already a West Ham station further to the west, and East
Ham to the east. "East Ham West" seems a bit of a mouthful... how about
"East Plaistow"?

No, just have two West Hams. Separated by Plaice-toe. People will get the
hang of it before long.
--
Ian Tindale
Old July 15th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 at 22:28:04, Richard J.
wrote:

Do you feel the same way about cricket? If so, what alternative but
distinctive name would you therefore propose for Oval?

North Brixton? Or South Kennington? Or possibly "Cylindrical", as a
counter-balance to the automatic voice which keeps informing me that the
next station will be oval, when I know quite well it is cylindrical,
just like all the others!

"The next station is Oval"
"The station after that is square"...

--
James Farrar |
London, SE13 |

Old July 16th 04, 07:05 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In article , Al wrote:
Niklas Karlsson wrote:

In article , Al wrote:
Niklas Karlsson wrote:

In article , Al wrote:
Talking of which, I understand hardressers give free haircuts to those
blokes getting married, and that newlyweds are given tours of airplane
cockpits. I wonder if it'd work with LUL?

That could be amusing. I wonder if it'd ever be possible to get it past
the HSE, though. :-)

"I'm getting married. Single from Oxford St to Piccadilly Circus in the
driver's seat please. And no driver. And a ten minute stop in the tunnel.
Ta"

Hmm. What if LU try and turn this into free driver training and
recruitment for them? I fear for the lives of the passengers... :-)

For instance, visiting friends in California

I trust they arranged a nice bridge for you to stay under?

I was referring to the "impudently different" part. Perhaps I need to
reduce the blood content of my caffeine stream so I can manage to phrase
myself in a clearer fashion.

Yes, twenty to five, mate.

Oh, let's not be over-cautious.

Niklas
London, UK
--
It's always been my dream to work in a mint. Just so, when people asked
me what I do, I could say "I make cents. It's my *job*."
Old July 16th 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Al Al is offline

Niklas Karlsson wrote:

In article , Al wrote:
Niklas Karlsson wrote:

In article , Al wrote:
Niklas Karlsson wrote:

In article , Al wrote:
Talking of which, I understand hardressers give free haircuts to those
blokes getting married, and that newlyweds are given tours of airplane
cockpits. I wonder if it'd work with LUL?

That could be amusing. I wonder if it'd ever be possible to get it past
the HSE, though. :-)

"I'm getting married. Single from Oxford St to Piccadilly Circus in the
driver's seat please. And no driver. And a ten minute stop in the tunnel.
Ta"

Hmm. What if LU try and turn this into free driver training and
recruitment for them? I fear for the lives of the passengers... :-)

If they wanted safety they would have bought a volvo!

For instance, visiting friends in California

I trust they arranged a nice bridge for you to stay under?

Do you know what, they did. London Bridge at Lake Havasu City in Arizona,
the one some daft Yank had shipped over thinking it was Tower Bridge. It
forms the centerpiece of a City of London themepark, complete with
postboxes, telephone boxes, CoL dragon motifs everywhere and plastic
bobby's helmets. The bridge is over an artificial lake so has reflections
dancing on its underside. A far happier bridge than the one on the Thames,
I can tell you.

Also half the union flags were upside down. I complained to my hostess who
got on the blower and they were all the right way up by sun-up.

I was referring to the "impudently different" part. Perhaps I need to
reduce the blood content of my caffeine stream so I can manage to phrase
myself in a clearer fashion.

Yes, twenty to five, mate.

Oh, let's not be over-cautious.

More tea, vicar?
--
Al

[ aim: LGeezerAIM | jabber: | yahoo: LGeezer_YHO ]
Old July 16th 04, 11:30 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In message , Al
writes
Do you know what, they did. London Bridge at Lake Havasu City in Arizona,
the one some daft Yank had shipped over thinking it was Tower Bridge.

That, I have to tell you is a Great Urban Myth. The property
developers who bought the bridge knew *exactly* what they were getting.
Individual members of the American public might have mixed up the two
bridges but then so do many Britons.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for