Old January 31st 07, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Changing at Camden Town

I recently was on a southbound Northern Line train which was going on
the Charing Cross branch while I wanted to go to Moorgate.
I got off at Camden Town and changed platforms. 20:20 hindsight
suggested I would have been better to wait on my original platform.

Has anybody got a suggestion on the best logic for this?

If the fare is capped, a change from Euston to Euston Square might be
sensible. The change between the two branches at Euston is not to be
attempted more than once.
--
Walter Briscoe

Old January 31st 07, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Walter Briscoe typed

I recently was on a southbound Northern Line train which was going on
the Charing Cross branch while I wanted to go to Moorgate.
I got off at Camden Town and changed platforms. 20:20 hindsight
suggested I would have been better to wait on my original platform.

Has anybody got a suggestion on the best logic for this?

Purely empirical:
Distrust dot matrix boards until 2 stops short of Camden Town.
When 2 stops short of CT, stick head out of train.
If desired train is indicated within 2-3 minutes, change trains here as
you might get a seat and avoid the crush.
If no desired train indicated for 3 mins, proceed to CT and head for
board between platforms.

If the fare is capped, a change from Euston to Euston Square might be
sensible. The change between the two branches at Euston is not to be
attempted more than once.

Never tried that; emerging at Euston is a longish trek, which I wouldn't
recommend anyway.

Warren Street is closer to Euston Square than Euston IIRC, but I don't
know if interchanging this way is permitted on Oyster PAYG.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 31st 07, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

On Jan 31, 12:46 pm, Walter Briscoe
wrote:
I recently was on a southbound Northern Line train which was going on
the Charing Cross branch while I wanted to go to Moorgate.
I got off at Camden Town and changed platforms. 20:20 hindsight
suggested I would have been better to wait on my original platform.

Has anybody got a suggestion on the best logic for this?

If the fare is capped, a change from Euston to Euston Square might be
sensible. The change between the two branches at Euston is not to be
attempted more than once.
--
Walter Briscoe

If you do need to make a change at Camden get in the front carriage of
a southbound train and the rear carriage of a northbound train and use
the very much shorter, and less used, tunnel at the south end of the
platforms.

Kevin

Old January 31st 07, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Walter Briscoe wrote:
I recently was on a southbound Northern Line train which was going on
the Charing Cross branch while I wanted to go to Moorgate.
I got off at Camden Town and changed platforms. 20:20 hindsight
suggested I would have been better to wait on my original platform.

Has anybody got a suggestion on the best logic for this?

Try and get in the front carriage Southbound or rear carriage
Northbound. The platforms at Camden Town are based on whether the train
has come from/is going to the High Barnet or Edgware branch.

If you're travelling South, jump off at Camden Town and go through the
cross passage as if you were going up the Emergency Stairs, and check
the display outside the Station Supervisor's office. That'll show you
the next three trains from each Southbound platform, so you can work out
which one to go to for your destination.

HTH,

Barry
Old January 31st 07, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message
I recently was on a southbound Northern Line train which was going on the
Charing Cross branch while I wanted to go to Moorgate.
I got off at Camden Town and changed platforms. 20:20 hindsight suggested
I would have been better to wait on my original platform.

Has anybody got a suggestion on the best logic for this?

If the fare is capped, a change from Euston to Euston Square might be
sensible. The change between the two branches at Euston is not to be
attempted more than once.

Euston (Bank) to Euston (CX) is not that bad a change. It is certainly a lot
shorter than walking to Euston Square.

Peter Smyth

Old February 1st 07, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com, Kev
writes
If you do need to make a change at Camden get in the front carriage of
a southbound train and the rear carriage of a northbound train and use
the very much shorter, and less used, tunnel at the south end of the
platforms.

At the top of the stairs from this passage down to platform 2, there are
monitors showing the next few trains from each.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old February 2nd 07, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message of Thu, 1 Feb 2007
09:30:44 in uk.transport.london, Clive D. W. Feather
writes
In article . com, Kev
writes
If you do need to make a change at Camden get in the front carriage of
a southbound train and the rear carriage of a northbound train and use
the very much shorter, and less used, tunnel at the south end of the
platforms.

At the top of the stairs from this passage down to platform 2, there
are monitors showing the next few trains from each.

Thanks to the several people who have given me food for thought.
I nearly applied that information, yesterday.
For personal reasons, I wanted to take a southbound via Charing Cross
train and was starting at Moorgate.
I decided to go via Camden Town but just missed a northbound train and
was not prepared to wait 6 minutes for another.
I went via Euston Square and Warren Street.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old February 2nd 07, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Walter Briscoe typed

I went via Euston Square and Warren Street.

Would you know if that is a permitted interchange on Oyster PAYG?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 2nd 07, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:39:21 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

I went via Euston Square and Warren Street.

Would you know if that is a permitted interchange on Oyster PAYG?

It's not.

Euston Square to Euston, however, is (despite being a longer walk).
Old February 3rd 07, 12:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf typed

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:39:21 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

I went via Euston Square and Warren Street.

Would you know if that is a permitted interchange on Oyster PAYG?

It's not.

Euston Square to Euston, however, is (despite being a longer walk).

Thanks.

Grrrr...!

--
Helen D. Vecht: