Old August 17th 04, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Don't run Announcements

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:55:09 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:
I offered my seat to an elderly lady on the 49* a few months ago -
"would you like to sit down?" (said as I was getting up). Reply, in a
distinctly unpleasant tone: "Of course I would! These seats aren't for
you youngsters you know!!".

The 49 goes through Chelsea before reaching civilisation of Olympia and
Shepherds Bush Chelsea's full of snooty people

Old August 18th 04, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:55:09 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

* Incidentally, the 49 is desperately in need of double deckers! It's
jam-packed for large portions of the day, as has the 328 been when I've
used it.

Both are being converted to double decks at present. First have also
converted the 28 and 31 which are associated with the 328 service as
part of the new tender.
--
Paul C

Old August 18th 04, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Paul Corfield wrote:
Oh - you live and learn. They have a mock up of the new electronic
version in the reception at 55 Broadway.

Havent been to 55 Broadway for ages.. do they still have those funky
clocks in the lobby?
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk
Old August 18th 04, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:55:09 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

* Incidentally, the 49 is desperately in need of double deckers! It's
jam-packed for large portions of the day, as has the 328 been when I've
used it.

Both are being converted to double decks at present. First have also
converted the 28 and 31 which are associated with the 328 service as
part of the new tender.

Very good news. I hope the spacing between buses (on the 49 at least)
improves as a result!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 18th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Robin Mayes
writes

I doubt if those who work on stations and are being told to put out these
messages need to learn much. Marketing and Publicity comissioned a survey of
'customers' and the results of what they wanted are being heard every 30
seconds! The "Good [whatever time of day] ladies and gentlemen" was added by
senior management as it's seen as polite, especially in the US.

I assume the "Ladies and Gentlemen" bit was to make the messages more
personal than the former "Customers are advised...."
--
Kat

Old August 18th 04, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:18:55 +0100, "Robin Mayes"
wrote:

I do like the line based notice boards as you enter through the ticket
gates that allows you to very quickly assess what is going well and what
isn't. Most stations do well in keeping those up to date IME.

Known as "Howard's boards" after a certain director...

Oh - you live and learn. They have a mock up of the new electronic
version in the reception at 55 Broadway.

I don't care how we present the service information as long as it's
accurate.....
--
Kat

Old August 19th 04, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:03:56 +0000 (UTC), Joe
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
Oh - you live and learn. They have a mock up of the new electronic
version in the reception at 55 Broadway.

which I noticed today has been respositioned so that the public can see
the display not just those visiting / working in 55.

Havent been to 55 Broadway for ages.. do they still have those funky
clocks in the lobby?

Yep - I think they are a listed feature as 55 Broadway is a listed
building. I don't see them being removed any time soon.
--
Paul C