Old September 7th 04, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Unenforceable banned right turn in Highgate London

In message , at 08:28:24 on Tue,
7 Sep 2004, John Rowland
remarked:
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign071.shtml

means 'Route to be used by pedal cycles only'.

Except I don't think that would apply to a full-blown road.
You need a "no entry" to stop the motorised traffic.

The safest way to achieve this would be to put in a traffic island 1 metre
from the kerb, and have No Entry signs on the large entrance, and Cycle Only
signs on the small entrance.

Yes, and this is done from time to time. Not all roads are wide enough
for this, though; including the one in Peterborough that I've mentioned.
It's only wide enough for one car and the contra-flow bike lane.

Old September 8th 04, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
at 15:07:00 on Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
Nowadays the DfT resists firmly any No Entry signs with exceptions other
than for buses.

....and Peterborough.
Old September 8th 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Roland Perry wrote:

In message ,
at 15:07:00 on Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
Nowadays the DfT resists firmly any No Entry signs with exceptions other
than for buses.

...and Peterborough.

On *very* wide roads, presumably.

tom

--
Throwin' Lyle's liquor away is like pickin' a fight with a meat packing plant! -- Ray Smuckles

Old September 8th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
at 19:22:38 on Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Tom Anderson
remarked:
Nowadays the DfT resists firmly any No Entry signs with exceptions other
than for buses.

...and Peterborough.

On *very* wide roads, presumably.

No, the one I have in mind is on a fairly narrow one.

Old September 8th 04, 11:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/sign071.shtml

means 'Route to be used by pedal cycles only'.

Except I don't think that would apply to a full-blown road.
You need a "no entry" to stop the motorised traffic.

The safest way to achieve this would be to put in a traffic island 1
metre from the kerb, and have No Entry signs on the large entrance, and
Cycle Only signs on the small entrance.

May I introduce you to some junctions in my ward which lack the odd spare
metre you seem to be thinking of?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 9th 04, 06:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
at 00:50:00 on Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
A good question is: who would prosecute a cyclist for passing a sign
that said "No Entry - Except Cyclists" (in this instance it allows
access to a contra-flow solid-line cycle lane on an otherwise one-way
street). But the Cambridge city fathers seem convinced that someone
would get cross with them if they put up a sign which wasn't in the
book.

The Government won't allow such signs. Cambridge City Council would dearly
like to have some but we have been refused repeatedly. At least one of our
cycle contra flow arrangements is regarded as frowned upon by the
Government regional office.

So why didn't they refuse Peterborough - or did they just put the sign
up anyway?
Old September 9th 04, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 23:27:11 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Hi all,.

At the north end of South Grove in Highgate, North London, are no-entry
signs with text beneath reading "No Entry Except From East". In effect they
are saying that you can do a left-turn into South Grove but you can't do a
right-turn into it. There are none of the normal right-turn-banned signs at
all. Since drivers are not legally required to carry a compass or know the
direction in which they are travelling at a particular moment, I don't see
how anyone could be successfully prosecuted for doing a right turn here. I
also don't see why they didn't just mount a right-turn-banned sign.

I checked yesterday when Iwas in Highgate, and there *is* a
no-right-turn sign in Highgate High Street on the approach, from the
west, to the junction with South Grove. It's a little further from
the junction than one would expect a no-right-turn sign to be- closer
to Southwood Road than to South Grove.

Martin