Old September 9th 04, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Unenforced traffic ban on oxford street

Mike Hughes wrote:

In message , purple pete
writes
What make me laugh is people who DON'T use bus lanes when they SHOULD ;-)

The trouble is that there are so many variations in the times and
authorise vehicles for the bus lanes that it gets very confusing, even
for us professionals. There are some lanes in the city where taxis are
excluded, even though we are allowed in nearly all of the others.

I try to use them when legal, but if you don't know the road it's a
significant distraction having to read the rules for each short section.

Colin McKenzie

Old September 10th 04, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin McKenzie wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 9 Sep 2004:

Mike Hughes wrote:

In message , purple
pete writes
What make me laugh is people who DON'T use bus lanes when they SHOULD ;-)

The trouble is that there are so many variations in the times and
authorise vehicles for the bus lanes that it gets very confusing, even
for us professionals. There are some lanes in the city where taxis are
excluded, even though we are allowed in nearly all of the others.

I try to use them when legal, but if you don't know the road it's a
significant distraction having to read the rules for each short section.

And, as someone else said, when they are legal there is invariably
someone, or several someones, parked in them!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old September 11th 04, 11:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
If purple is discussing the camera I think he is, it was £800,000 over a
year. That's 20-30 per day, which doesn't sound quite so dramatic! The
bus lane operates from 7-10 am and 4-7pm IIRC.

So roughly one offender every 15 minutes.

Traffic which does not wish to turn right tends to
avoid the queues by diving into the bus lane.

And then whinges when it gets snapped doing so, right?

So perhaps Mr purple can explain what the problem is?

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old September 11th 04, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" typed

In article , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
If purple is discussing the camera I think he is, it was £800,000 over a
year. That's 20-30 per day, which doesn't sound quite so dramatic! The
bus lane operates from 7-10 am and 4-7pm IIRC.

So roughly one offender every 15 minutes.

Traffic which does not wish to turn right tends to
avoid the queues by diving into the bus lane.

And then whinges when it gets snapped doing so, right?

Yup! Didddums...

So perhaps Mr purple can explain what the problem is?

I passed the area on a bus recently and think the bus lane opposite is
full-time so the contentious one might be too. I apologise if I
inadvertantly posted misinformation.

30 snaps a day might seemingly represent a lot of cash, but it's not
really much traffic, given the traffic flow, is it?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old September 13th 04, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message

Traffic which does not wish to turn
right tends to avoid the queues by
diving into the bus lane.

And then whinges when it gets snapped doing so, right?

So perhaps Mr purple can explain what the problem is?

The problem is that bus lane cameras are not billed as "A solution to the
problem of cars undertaking right-turners", they are billed as "A solution
to the problem of buses being held up by traffic". Placing the camera where
it will fine cars undertaking right-turners is dishonest immoral taxation. I
don't see why bus lanes shouldn't be treated like box junctions - no-one
should be fined unless they actually stop in one.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old September 22nd 04, 03:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote...

Traffic which does not wish to turn
right tends to avoid the queues by
diving into the bus lane.

And then whinges when it gets snapped doing so, right?

So perhaps Mr purple can explain what the problem is?

The problem is that bus lane cameras are not billed as "A solution to the
problem of cars undertaking right-turners", they are billed as "A solution
to the problem of buses being held up by traffic". Placing the camera where
it will fine cars undertaking right-turners is dishonest immoral taxation. I
don't see why bus lanes shouldn't be treated like box junctions - no-one
should be fined unless they actually stop in one.

Aside from the obvious problem of cars getting trapped behind stopped
buses, there's the problem of buses being held up by cars moving at a
crawl to avoid having to actually stop!
Old September 22nd 04, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:

The problem is that bus lane cameras are not billed as
"A solution to the problem of cars undertaking right-turners",
they are billed as "A solution to the problem of buses being
held up by traffic". Placing the camera where it will fine cars
undertaking right-turners is dishonest immoral taxation. I don't
see why bus lanes shouldn't be treated like box junctions -
no-one should be fined unless they actually stop in one.

Aside from the obvious problem of cars
getting trapped behind stopped buses

What's the problem? They went into a box junction without their exit being
clear. Prosecute them.

there's the problem of buses being held up by cars
moving at a crawl to avoid having to actually stop!

You're treating my suggestion too literally. If they are holding up a bus,
the camera on the bus would film them and they would be fined. The main
thing is that if you want to do a left turn a few hundred metres ahead, I
don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to use the bus lane. The current
implementation of the law does not match the expressed intention of the law.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped