Old September 24th 04, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stansted to Barking

"Jiminy" a écrit dans le message de
Arriving at Stansted Airport, suppose I'll take the Stansted
Express/Skytrain to Liverpool Street Station.

To go to Barking, may I be dropped along the route or I must go first
at Liverpool Str Station, then from there take the tube?

For instance, dropping at Tottenham Hale allow me to reach Barking
easily?

Or exists a better alternative?

Tnx for your feedback

As nobody here has so far pointed out, there's an on-line journey planner
which is smart enough to look at the various routes; the URL is:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/planmyjourney/

You don't say exactly when you want to travel, so I can't give you more
specific advice, but just looking at the next few journeys indicates that
changing at Tottenham Hale & Blackhorse Rd. is the fastest (1h 29 min),
while walking from Liverpool St to Fenchurch St would give 1h 35min. It
even considers changing at Hackney (Downs/Central) & W. Ham but that's even
slower...

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels - mind the spamtrap)

Old September 24th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in message

[...]

I wouldn't pay much attention to those times. For example it allows about 40
minutes to get one stop on the Victoria line from Tottenham Hale to
Blackhorse Road and a similar time to walk 1/2 mile from Liv St to Fen St.
It doesn't even mention the most obvious route of Hammersmith and City line.

The TfL Journey Planner http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk gives times of
about 1h15 for both the GOBLin from Blackhorse Rd and the H&C from Liverpool
Street. I would suggest going via Liverpool Street as the frequency is much
better.

Peter Smyth

Old September 24th 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Smyth" a écrit dans le message de

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in

message

[...]

I agree with your conclusion, but not your analysis of the data from the NR
journey planner. The apparently long time allowances for the connections are
due mainly to the infrequent train services concerned - if the trains are
running every half hour, it's obviously better to build in a safety margin,
and so maybe 25 of the 40 minutes for the Victoria Line connection would be
spent just waiting...

IOW, you may well prefer what seems like a longer overall journey if you can
be sure that typical train lateness has little impact on its overall
duration. And maybe one day we'll have terminals on platforms that allow us
to check real-time running en-route ;-)

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)

Old September 24th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alan \(in Brussels\)" wrote in
:

[...]

Even better, try tfl's version (via www.tfl.gov.uk) which has intimate
knowledge of the times of tube trains (national rail's version struggles
with first and last trains).

Lunchtime tomorrow came up with 1hr 17mins via Liverpool Street and Mile
End or 1hr 15mins, 1hr 17 mins, 1 hr 19mins or 1hr 21mins direct from
Liverpool Street to Barking on the H&C. H&C runs every 8 minutes at that
time, journey planner knows and works to the exact schedule, though (except
for first and last trains) this is being a bit precise for me!

With luggage its an easy decision to go for the direct train. (Note:
Journey Planner doesn't understand National Rail fares so the £3.00+ means
£3.00 plus the £ 13.80 single from Stansted to London).

Transport Direct (the new cross modal UK wide planner, see Rodger Ford's
column in Modern Railways) at www.transportdirect.co.uk also came up with
the route via Liverpool Street and Mile End but quoted 2hrs 17mins after
allowing 68 minutes for the 8 minute walk from Liverpool Street (National
Rail) to Liverpool Street (Underground)...

Old September 24th 04, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
LarryLard wrote:
ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

Not as bad as they appear; it's got same-station interchanges with the
SSL at Barking; about 7min walk to the Central (Leytonstone-Leytonstone);
same station to the Victoria at Blackhorse Road; and about 5 minute to the
Northern Line (Upper Holloway - Archway).

The real probelem with it is that it's 2tph, 2 car, and appears to
be standing room only for much of the day.

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.

Old September 24th 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default GOBLIN connections was Stansted to Barking

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:02:16 +0100 Tom Anderson
said...

ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

It's got a lot of 'near misses', though:

Upper Holloway - Archway

Crouch Hill - Finsbury Park

Harringay Green Lanes - Harringay

Also Manor House

South Tottenham - Seven Sisters

--
Phil Richards
London, UK
Old September 24th 04, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Phil Richards wrote:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:02:16 +0100 Tom Anderson
said...

ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

It's got a lot of 'near misses', though:

Upper Holloway - Archway

Crouch Hill - Finsbury Park

Harringay Green Lanes - Harringay

Also Manor House

True. In fact, once you look at it like this, the GOBLin is one of the
best-connected lines in London!

tom

--
For one thing at least is almost certain about the future, namely, that very much of it will be such as we should call incredible. -- Olaf Stapledon

Old September 25th 04, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:00:26 +0100, Annabel Smyth
wrote:

If you want to go on the Tube, then Liverpool Street is your best bet,
as it is on the Hammersmith and City Line, which will take you direct to
Barking. That would be the quickest way as far as I know.

Thank you ALL!

Old September 25th 04, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article 0, David
Jackman writes
the 8 minute walk from Liverpool Street (National
Rail) to Liverpool Street (Underground)...

8? It's under a minute from the platforms the Stansted Express uses to
the Eastbound H&C. Even worst case (Westbound H&C to platform 18) is
only 2 or 3 minutes.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old September 25th 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:14:47 +0000, Mike Bristow wrote:

In article ,
LarryLard wrote:
ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

Not as bad as they appear; it's got same-station interchanges with the
SSL at Barking; about 7min walk to the Central (Leytonstone-Leytonstone);
same station to the Victoria at Blackhorse Road; and about 5 minute to the
Northern Line (Upper Holloway - Archway).

The real probelem with it is that it's 2tph, 2 car, and appears to
be standing room only for much of the day.

THe other real problem is the lack of connections show on a map. If there
was a dotted line between the two leytonstones, with 500 yards, and the
route was fully signposted, there wouldn't be a problem.