Old November 17th 04, 07:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Default Eurostar to quit Waterloo

"John Rowland" wrote in
:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

once you do away with customs, immigration
and insecurity. build a mezanine over the current
sunken area before the barrier line and have level access to the
platforms as per the rest of the station.

I suspect customs etc at Waterloo will be mothballed rather than
removed, because they will want somewhere to offload Johnny Foreigner
if an incident closes the Stratford / St Pancras line.

Can't see this happening. The new line will have Ashford, Ebbsfleet and
Stratford for detraining is there is a problem at St. Pancras and I'd be
surprised if the 3rd rail capability of the 373's wasn't removed at the
first opportunity.

Old November 17th 04, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
11:40:00 on Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
Thanks to CT's pathetic service to Stansted.

Why do you say pathetic? I see it day to day and it seems pretty reliable
these days.

Even CT say (in the timetable) to allow an *extra* 2 hrs in between
train arrival and check-in.

It has no service on a Sunday morning, and only a sporadic one at other
times. Trains are very liable to be cancelled southbound at Cambridge,
when late running (which obviously also cancels the corresponding
northbound one from the airport).

Old November 17th 04, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes

I don't know about Mait001, but I was assuming these trains would not
stop everywhere, just at major stations - Richmond perhaps, but not
Barnes! And maybe not even Richmond.... first stop Feltham, perhaps,
and make the most of the link to Heathrow?

If they didn't stop at Putney, Richmond and Twickenham they wouldn't
replace the existing service, they would have to be additional - and
there is absolutely no way that line can take a more intense service
west of Barnes.
--
Paul Terry
Old November 17th 04, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Peter Masson wrote:
[Eurostar platforms]
It would not be difficult to use these platforms for Windsor Line trains,
making it much less likely for any trains to have to queue up outside
Waterloo waiting for platforms. But that wonn't make use of the platform
length - it would probably be too expensive to extend any Windsor line
station to take 12x20m trains, let alone 16- or 20-car.

What were platforms 20-24 used for before construction of the Eurostar
terminal? They looked forlorn and neglected the only time I remember seeing
them in the late eighties. Was there a canopy that was demolished to make
way for Eurostar?

Theo
Old November 17th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Theo Markettos wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 17 Nov 2004:

What were platforms 20-24 used for before construction of the Eurostar
terminal? They looked forlorn and neglected the only time I remember seeing
them in the late eighties. Was there a canopy that was demolished to make
way for Eurostar?

Surely they were being built in the late 80s? Actually, I think they
were built earlier - early 80s - but the construction of the Channel
Tunnel was delayed so that they did sit mothballed for awhile.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old November 17th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Terry Harper wrote:
"Solar Penguin" wrote in message

--- Terry Harper said:

I didn't say South East London, I said South-East of London, which
covers large parts of Surrey, all of Kent and a large part of Sussex.
Those who have the misfortune to live in Chairman Ken's domain
have to put up with the consequences.

What has Ken got to do with the decision to close Waterloo
International? I didn't think TfL's authority covered international
services. Or is this just a cheap party political shot that's got
nothing to with the discussion...?

No, it's a comment on the consequences of living in Greater London on one's
choice of transport. The word, if it exists, is probably centrospective.

Personally, I'd rather have Ken running my transport than the DfT, or
whatever county council. At least things get done.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old November 17th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Default Ebbsfleet (was Eurostar to quit Waterloo)

John Rowland wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

I believe that depends on the developers
at Ebbsfleet. That whole area will be in the
middle of a town in about ten years' time.

Isn't it Green Belt?

Errr... if it was, it isn't any more (so I'm guessing it wasn't!).
Planning permission was granted last year for a 3,000 home + ~800,000m²
commerical development called (at the moment) Kent Thameside. Part of
the Prescott grand vision for the Thames Gateway I think.

http://www.kt-s.co.uk

Thankfully a generally-segregated bus system is planned for the area,
with a network of buses running initially between Dartford, Bluewater,
Greenhithe, Northfleet and Gravesend, with other legs added gradually
afterwards (they expect to serve the international station by the time
it opens). They mention a both local and express routes between
Ebbsfleet and Gravesend.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7