Old November 16th 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Default Eurostar to quit Waterloo

Peter Masson wrote:
"Alex Terrell" wrote in message
om...

There is of course Waterloo East to Northfleet (50 min), which could
perhaps be Waterloo to Ebsfleet. However, if I remember from the
plans, the North Kent line trains will still use Northfleet, which is
several hundred metres from Ebbsfleet. When the Crossrail terminus is
built ....

.....it will be adjacent to Northfleet station, not Ebbsfleet International.
Peter

I believe that depends on the developers at Ebbsfleet. That whole area
will be in the middle of a town in about ten years' time.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old November 16th 04, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

"Peter Masson" wrote in message ...
"Alex Terrell" wrote in message
om...

There is of course Waterloo East to Northfleet (50 min), which could
perhaps be Waterloo to Ebsfleet. However, if I remember from the
plans, the North Kent line trains will still use Northfleet, which is
several hundred metres from Ebbsfleet. When the Crossrail terminus is
built ....

....it will be adjacent to Northfleet station, not Ebbsfleet International.
Peter

that I didn't know, and it seems a rather pointless destination for
CrossRail, unless they build some sort of travel system between the
two.
Old November 16th 04, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

I believe that depends on the developers
at Ebbsfleet. That whole area will be in the
middle of a town in about ten years' time.

Isn't it Green Belt?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 16th 04, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...
In message , at 15:21:05 on Tue, 16
Nov 2004, Terry Harper remarked:

Anyway, train from Gatwick to Ashford is not one of the
natural routes to follow, especially if you don't live on the airport.

It's a direct line between two transport hubs. Like I said "Integrated
transport! Don't make me laugh."

I don't think that either the government or the SRA understand the term. And
even if they did, the Competition Commission would rule it out of order.
Then the Treasury would refuse to make the funds available. Two extra links
at Redhill would make all the difference.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old November 16th 04, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message
--- Terry Harper said:

I didn't say South East London, I said South-East of London, which
covers large parts of Surrey, all of Kent and a large part of Sussex.
Those who have the misfortune to live in Chairman Ken's domain
have to put up with the consequences.

What has Ken got to do with the decision to close Waterloo
International? I didn't think TfL's authority covered international
services. Or is this just a cheap party political shot that's got
nothing to with the discussion...?

No, it's a comment on the consequences of living in Greater London on one's
choice of transport. The word, if it exists, is probably centrospective.

Old November 16th 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I suspect customs etc at Waterloo will be mothballed rather than removed,
because they will want somewhere to offload Johnny Foreigner if an incident
closes the Stratford / St Pancras line.

Kensington Olympia?

Neil

Is there a direct link from Eurostar to Olympia, without reversing at Waterloo?

Marc.
Old November 16th 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Alex Terrell wrote:
The Daily Telegraph reports that Eurostar will quit Waterloo in 2007.

Who cares?

1. It's a train.
2. It goes to France

--
Death to the demoness Allegra Geller

Old November 17th 04, 12:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:18:20 -0000, "John Rowland"
said:

Maybe a fast train from Reading via Guildford, Redhill

Fast? On that line? You've got to be joking!

Old November 17th 04, 01:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Is there a direct link from Eurostar to Olympia, without reversing at Waterloo?

Marc.

When the rail link opens, it'll be via the North London Line.

Old November 17th 04, 06:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:33:28 +0000, Paul Terry
wrote:

To a large extent it will depend on whether those needing to go to
Brussels and Paris for business meetings, or choosing to go there on
leisure breaks, live mainly in SW London or in Beckton etc. I suspect it
is mostly the former, and Eurostar are therefore going to be forced to
start building a new customer base from scratch instead of building on
their existing market.

I think the point is that a lot of Eurostar users don't live in either
South West London or in Beckton. From my present address, in North
London, St Pancras will be marginally easier than Waterloo but the
difference won't affect my decision whether to go by train or air.
That's probably true of many Eurostar customers: not just ones who
live in London but ones who live in Cheltenham or Philadelphia or
Poitiers or wherever.

Moreover, I used to live in SW London and Heathrow was very difficult
to get to by public transport. If I still lived there, I'd be
disappointed to be forced to go via St Pancras but I'd still do that
in preference to going to Heathrow. When I lived in SW London I still
preferred rail to air as a way of getting to Edinburgh, despite
needing to get to Kings Cross (usually via Vauxhall) and a longer
journey time overall. I did once (this is going back a fair while - I
don't think it's possible these days) get a direct train from Clapham
Junction to Manchester to avoid the tube journey to Euston. But to be
honest it was usually easier to go to Euston than to arrange my trip
to coincide with one of the very few trains that made that run.

So I would be surprised if Eurostar will in practice lose much of its
existing business through the move to St Pancras. Given that SWT
could probably do with the capacity freed up on the lines out of
Waterloo, if not necessarily at the station, the commercial case to
stop running Eurostars looks compelling.

Still, I'll be sad to see no more Eurostars at Waterloo, if only
because the international station there is such a fine building and it
won't seem the same if it's just used for commuter trains

Martin