Old November 16th 04, 06:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Default Eurostar to quit Waterloo

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:07:11 +0000, Mrs Redboots
wrote:

Another poster commented about day-trip traffic - people living in the
North - my daughter, in York, for instance, or a friend in Hull - simply
can't do day-trips anyway, wherever the Eurostar leaves from. They do
3-days to Amsterdam by ferry, not 24 hours in Paris or Brussels! And I
can't see that changing.

Until Hull Trains came along, it could be cheaper to go to Amsterdam
than to London from Hull. A bit like ye olde pre-railway days, when
the jouney times were about similar.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old November 16th 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes

Mait001 wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 16 Nov 2004:

Why couldn't for example, a Reading train leaving Waterloo specify
that only the doors of the first 8 carriages will open at certain
stations and the rear 8 carriages at the others?

At that, why could two stops at certain stations not be planned, with
the first 8 carriages, then another brief halt for the rear 8 carriages?

Both ideas need to consider the huge operational problems of the Windsor
lines through Barnes and Richmond - successive level crossings in an
urban area, stations abutting those crossings, Barnes station abutting
the Hounslow loop junction, frequent local stoppers to fit between the
fast services.

--
Paul Terry
Old November 16th 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Roland Perry wrote in
.uk:

That would have been a possible route to Waterloo, if the plane hadn't
been late. (Remembering that several rush-hour Thameslinks don't go
via London Bridge).

But returning back to the topic (E* and waterloo) the Thameslink trains do
go to King X so that would make it easire to get to St Panc

Old November 16th 04, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

In message , at 19:37:46
on Tue, 16 Nov 2004, "Andrew Black (delete obvious bit)"
remarked:
That would have been a possible route to Waterloo, if the plane hadn't
been late. (Remembering that several rush-hour Thameslinks don't go
via London Bridge).

But returning back to the topic (E* and waterloo) the Thameslink trains do
go to King X so that would make it easire to get to St Panc

Yes, but half an hour longer. On my original timetable that wouldn't
have worked - unless all the departure times at StP are going to be half
an hour later (rather than the arrival times in Brussels/Paris being
half an hour earlier).
Old November 16th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
om...

You are right about the lack of direct tube services; unfortunately,
the obvious choice of changing at Warren Street requires hiking
through the station. Too bad that Crossrail 3 will be opened after the
sun has burnt out...

But it depends what you mean by the "obvious" route by tube. The best one is
Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus, then cross-platform to the Victoria. Though
I agree that isn't all that apparent from the map.

Regards

Jonathan

Old November 16th 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

once you do away with customs, immigration
and insecurity. build a mezanine over the current
sunken area before the barrier line and have level
access to the platforms as per the rest of the station.

I suspect customs etc at Waterloo will be mothballed rather than removed,
because they will want somewhere to offload Johnny Foreigner if an incident
closes the Stratford / St Pancras line.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 16th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Paul Clare wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 16 Nov 2004:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
o.uk...

It's a direct line between two transport hubs. Like I said "Integrated
transport! Don't make me laugh."

It always makes me laugh when people talk about the transport system in this
country. Since when did transport in the UK ever constitute a system?

Quite. Even when I was a girl - and that was rather a long time ago now
- the bus used ever-so-carefully to just miss the train, and we longed
for "integrated transport". And my father says the same was true when
he was a boy, although buses were more frequent then.....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old November 16th 04, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 16 Nov 2004:

In message , Mrs
Redboots writes

Mait001 wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 16 Nov 2004:

Why couldn't for example, a Reading train leaving Waterloo specify
that only the doors of the first 8 carriages will open at certain
stations and the rear 8 carriages at the others?

At that, why could two stops at certain stations not be planned, with
the first 8 carriages, then another brief halt for the rear 8 carriages?

Both ideas need to consider the huge operational problems of the
Windsor lines through Barnes and Richmond - successive level crossings
in an urban area, stations abutting those crossings, Barnes station
abutting the Hounslow loop junction, frequent local stoppers to fit
between the fast services.

I don't know about Mait001, but I was assuming these trains would not
stop everywhere, just at major stations - Richmond perhaps, but not
Barnes! And maybe not even Richmond.... first stop Feltham, perhaps,
and make the most of the link to Heathrow?

Old November 16th 04, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:37:06 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

I suspect customs etc at Waterloo will be mothballed rather than removed,
because they will want somewhere to offload Johnny Foreigner if an incident
closes the Stratford / St Pancras line.

Kensington Olympia?

Neil

Old November 16th 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 07:08:03 on Tue, 16 Nov
2004, Paul Terry remarked:

For SWT services that stop at Vauxhall, the Victoria line to King's
Cross will be a better bet - but the interchange at Vauxhall, with
luggage, in the rush hour, is an abomination.

The interchange at KX isn't a picnic either. Although I hope they'll do
something about all the stairs as part of the St Pancras upgrade.

Unfortunately, completely step-free access from the Tube to St Pancras
depends on the northern ticket hall being built - which depends on money
from government which currently isn't forthcoming.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7