Old November 29th 04, 12:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Jammed doors reoppening

In article ,
Ken Wheatley wrote:

My uncle was at various times a CO/CP and an A60/62 driver. He told of
a time when he entered a station (I think Euston Square) fast - as he
should have done - but there was a twit on the platform standing just
inside the station on the edge of the platform with this hands on his
hips.

The grab bar on the front of his CO/CP hit the chap's elbow with a
resounding 'BONG', and the elbow's owner span back onto the platform.

I bet his eyes watered! But no attempt at a claim for compensation.

You didn't get compensation for your own stupidity in those days.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"The guilty party was the Liberal Democrats and they were hardened offenders,
Old November 29th 04, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(DistrictDriver) wrote in message . com...
You always get one idiot! Despite any anouncements, either by the
driver or the station staff, someone will still stick a foot or
briefcase etc into the doors. You have to be careful in this
'sue-anyone-for-anything' society which we now live... Only last week
one of my colleagues was 'stood down' while CCTV was investigated
afetr a lady alleged she got her foot trapped in the door and caused
her to fall back onto the platform. After thorough investigation, it
turned out that she did indeed stick her foot in the door, but then
removed it again. She never fell, but was obviuosly just a bit wound
up that she'd have to wait another 30 seconds for the next train...

I remember years ago when I was a teenager travelling on the northern line
back in the 80s we'd got stuck at Camden by some idiot who'd stuck his foot in
the door and wouldn't remove it and by the guard who was in a bad mood and
wouldn't reopen
the doors at all. The driver sorted out the impasse after a few minutes by
just motoring the train forward a bit (it seems on the old 59 stock the
cut out delay on the motors from the open doors was long enough to get some
movement into the train) which dragged foot and idiot forward some metres.
He quickly removed his foot and much shouting ensued but the train just took
off anyway. Was quite amusing though no doubt these days both driver and
guard would have been disciplined by the nannies.

B2003
Old November 29th 04, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ken Wheatley wrote:
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:43:45 -0000, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

It's much more fun when the driver is *not* in a good mood and makes
a PA announcement to embarrass the miscreant, whilst refusing to
open the doors. If you're in the affected car then it is even more
fun watching as the other passengers form a lynch mob.

Depends. I got into a Northern Line recently, which was busy, and my
bag fouled the closing doors. The total ****-for-brains up front just
wouldn't open the door. I didn't budge (I couldn't) nor did ****-face.

Eventually other passengers (a lynch mob?) helped me to prise the
doors open enough for my bag to be freed.

I hope the driver's knob fell off.

I suppose it didn't occur to you that if you hadn't got on after the doors
started to close your bag wouldn't have got stuck and you wouldn't then have
delayed everyone else who was on the train?

Old November 29th 04, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
[...]

It's worse than that!

With the advent of Driver Only Operation the driver can't engage the motors
with a door open.

Old November 29th 04, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Boltar) wrote:

[...]

The motors were never interlocked with the doors and thus the driver could
always pull away if he wanted to. This meant that the train could be
"notched up" a few times if the doors were sticking open. Only the bravest
of passengers would remain with their foot stuck in the door then. It was
a bit more difficult on the 72/73 stock because of the same handle doing
motoring and braking but, with a bit of practice it could still be done.

Since OPO, this facility has unfortunately been lost.

Roger
Old November 29th 04, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

It's much more fun when the driver is *not* in a good mood and makes a

PA
announcement to embarrass the miscreant, whilst refusing to open the

doors.
If you're in the affected car then it is even more fun watching as the

other
passengers form a lynch mob.

Depends. I got into a Northern Line recently, which was busy, and my
bag fouled the closing doors. The total ****-for-brains up front just
wouldn't open the door. I didn't budge (I couldn't) nor did ****-face.

Eventually other passengers (a lynch mob?) helped me to prise the
doors open enough for my bag to be freed.

I hope the driver's knob fell off.

And then, of course, you get The total ****-for-brains passengers who
decide they're not going to make the closing doors in person but will
swing their bag/umbrella etc. in the doors. This happens a lot. One time,
having watched somebody do just this, the doors closed after a few seconds
delay with the passenger still on the platform waving. Off I went. Turns
out that somebody in the car had pulled the bag into the car, thus
separating passenger from bag!

One of the benefits of recorded CCTV is that there can be a replay when a
passenger complains that he was "trapped in the doors". Sometimes it has
turned out that the passenger was nowhere near the train. usually
it is proved that the doors were already closing before the person
was near them. Judging by the antics of some passengers, such as standing
idly on the platform then making a sudden dash for the closing doors, it
appears that their hoping to have an incident where they can claim
compensation from LU.

Roger
Old November 29th 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:13:21 +0000 (UTC), "Brimstone"
wrote:

I suppose it didn't occur to you that if you hadn't got on after the doors
started to close your bag wouldn't have got stuck and you wouldn't then have
delayed everyone else who was on the train?

No, because I didn't get on as they closed. It was just a bloody
awkward bag that slid down my arm as I boarded.
Old November 29th 04, 04:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

[...]

When I was a member of that much lamented breed, a guard, we were westbound
through Hyde Park Corner (platform access at the extreme rear of the train
and guard's position in the back cab) one evening peak when some jerk dashed
on the platform and swung a large (half gallon) can of paint into the
almost closed doors.

He then looked at me with a silly smirk as if to say "Well, you're going to
have to open them again now aren't you?"

I went up to him, grabbed the handle and tugged but it came away so I got
hold of the tin itself and pulled. As I gave it to him I remarked that he
shouldn't have put it in in the first place, got back in the can and gave
the driver the signal to start.

The silly smirk had disappeared from his face and had been replaced by one
much more satisfying, well to me at least.

Why didn't I simply re-open the doors? Firstly because of the attitude that
the silly smirk betrayed and secondly because there were other people
directly behind him with more approaching I could have been there all night.

There was an apocryphal tale of a guard who got a bollocking for failing to
reopen the doors for someone who came dashing onto the platform at the last
moment. Apparently he took the manager's advice to heart and allowed those
who wished to to get on the train. Allegedly he was at Green Park during one
evening peak for some twenty minutes.