Old November 28th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Jammed doors reoppening

I mailnly travel on the District, Picidily and Circle lines and notice that
when some idiot wedges their foot in the door they all reopen. I had
assumed this was universal that all the doors reopen so other people can
board during the delay or because of cost cutting in the onboard circuitry.

Yesterday on the Central line I saw all the doors closing, then one door per
carriage (the 3rd from the front) all reopened and then closed.

Are there any other irregularities and why does this happen? What used to
happen when the open buttons on the doors were enabled?

Chris

Old November 28th 04, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chris" wrote in message
I mailnly travel on the District, Picidily and Circle lines and notice that
when some idiot wedges their foot in the door they all reopen. I had
assumed this was universal that all the doors reopen so other people can
board during the delay or because of cost cutting in the onboard circuitry.

Yesterday on the Central line I saw all the doors closing, then one door
per carriage (the 3rd from the front) all reopened and then closed.

Are there any other irregularities and why does this happen? What used to
happen when the open buttons on the doors were enabled?

The older trains operating on the District, Piccidilly and Circle lines are
operated by the Train Operator (the driver to us mere mortals). S/he can
only open all the doors on the train together, there is no option to reopen
a specific car. Hence when some thoughtless wazzock puts their foot in the
door, and the driver is in a good mood, s/he has no option but to reopen all
the doors together.

The Central Line stock I don't know about.

Old November 28th 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message

The older trains operating on the District, Piccidilly and Circle lines

are
operated by the Train Operator (the driver to us mere mortals). S/he can
only open all the doors on the train together, there is no option to

reopen
a specific car. Hence when some thoughtless wazzock puts their foot in the
door, and the driver is in a good mood, s/he has no option but to reopen

all
the doors together.

It's much more fun when the driver is *not* in a good mood and makes a PA
announcement to embarrass the miscreant, whilst refusing to open the doors.
If you're in the affected car then it is even more fun watching as the other
passengers form a lynch mob.

Old November 28th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,

(Brimstone) wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Newer stocks have selective door re-opening. No doubt someone here will
now tell use which stocks have the feature.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

1995, 1996 and, I assume, 1992 - I think that's all.
Will only re-open (all) the doors on the car(s) that have been detected as
having doors not closed.

I must admit that I rarely use this as it is just as simple to re-open all
the doors. However it is useful at rush hours and at stations where there
is a continuous stream of people onto the train.

Roger

Old November 28th 04, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roger wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 28 Nov 2004:

1995, 1996 and, I assume, 1992 - I think that's all.
Will only re-open (all) the doors on the car(s) that have been detected as
having doors not closed.

I must admit that I rarely use this as it is just as simple to re-open all
the doors. However it is useful at rush hours and at stations where there
is a continuous stream of people onto the train.

From a passenger's point of view, it's jolly useful when you *do*
re-open all the doors, if one is just missing a train.... still, there's
usually another one along very shortly.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old November 28th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chris" wrote in message
I mailnly travel on the District, Picidily and Circle lines and notice
that when some idiot wedges their foot in the door they all reopen. I
had assumed this was universal that all the doors reopen so other
people can board during the delay or because of cost cutting in the
onboard circuitry.

On the District Line, we have the facility to operate the 'selective
re-open' which will only re-open the doors on the car where they
haven't closed properly. This saves every door being re-opened and
thus having to go through the whole process again!

You always get one idiot! Despite any anouncements, either by the
driver or the station staff, someone will still stick a foot or
briefcase etc into the doors. You have to be careful in this
'sue-anyone-for-anything' society which we now live... Only last week
one of my colleagues was 'stood down' while CCTV was investigated
afetr a lady alleged she got her foot trapped in the door and caused
her to fall back onto the platform. After thorough investigation, it
turned out that she did indeed stick her foot in the door, but then
removed it again. She never fell, but was obviuosly just a bit wound
up that she'd have to wait another 30 seconds for the next train...
Old November 28th 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:43:45 -0000, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

It's much more fun when the driver is *not* in a good mood and makes a PA
announcement to embarrass the miscreant, whilst refusing to open the doors.
If you're in the affected car then it is even more fun watching as the other
passengers form a lynch mob.

Depends. I got into a Northern Line recently, which was busy, and my
bag fouled the closing doors. The total ****-for-brains up front just
wouldn't open the door. I didn't budge (I couldn't) nor did ****-face.

Eventually other passengers (a lynch mob?) helped me to prise the
doors open enough for my bag to be freed.

I hope the driver's knob fell off.