Old December 2nd 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victoria to Liverpool Street

I am planning on making the above journey from Victoria to Liverpool Street
, tomorrow , Friday . I'll be arriving at Victoria (from Brighton) during
the delightful evening peak - either 1720 ish or 1750 ....
I hate escalators , so I would normally think of using the circle line ,
however , I wonder if a bus would offer a similar journey time , but wonder
about road traffic at that time of night ...
Any thoughts are gratefully received...
TIA

Flob

Old December 2nd 04, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

sorry , perhaps It would have been clearer if I added I would like to get to
Livepool Street in the quickest manner using a ticket routed via London .

Thanks

Flob

Old December 2nd 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Flob wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 2 Dec 2004:

I am planning on making the above journey from Victoria to Liverpool Street
, tomorrow , Friday . I'll be arriving at Victoria (from Brighton) during
the delightful evening peak - either 1720 ish or 1750 ....
I hate escalators , so I would normally think of using the circle line ,
however , I wonder if a bus would offer a similar journey time , but wonder
about road traffic at that time of night ...
Any thoughts are gratefully received...
TIA

I've certainly done it (you catch the no 11, which gives you a lovely
view all over the tourist areas), but it would take forever. If you
aren't in a hurry, though, it's much nicer than the Tube!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 2nd 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:02:00 GMT, "Flob"
wrote:

I am planning on making the above journey from Victoria to
Liverpool Street , tomorrow , Friday . I'll be arriving at
Victoria (from Brighton) during the delightful evening peak -
either 1720 ish or 1750 ....
I hate escalators , so I would normally think of using the circle
line , however , I wonder if a bus would offer a similar journey
time , but wonder about road traffic at that time of night ...

Well the Number 11 runs from Victoria (Terminus Place, which is
'behind' the Bus Station) to Liverpool Street. It's timetabled for
about 35 minutes, and buses should run every 7 to 8 minutes.

There's also the 705, which stops in Wilton Road. That calls at
Victoria at 18 and 48 minutes past the hour and is timetabled for
a more leisurely 45 minutes to make the (limited stop) journey.

The Circle Line is timetabled to take about 22 minutes, which is about
as fast as any other tube route, though less frequent (every 8½ minutes
in theory). There may well be delays in the peak, but it should still
be faster than the bus.
--
Richard J.

Old December 2nd 04, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks everybody ! I may just go for the Number 11 !!

One thing though , one for Barry ... would a through routed rail ticket , in
this example , Brighton to Bethnal Green be valid on the bus ?
Thanks
Flob

Old December 2nd 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Flob wrote:
Thanks everybody ! I may just go for the Number 11 !!

One thing though , one for Barry ... would a through routed rail ticket , in
this example , Brighton to Bethnal Green be valid on the bus ?
Thanks
Flob

Unfortunately not. You'd have to buy a separate ticket (£1 each way; pay
before you board, using ticket machine at bus stop - at least at
Victoria anyway, not sure about at Liverpool Street).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old December 2nd 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I am planning on making the above journey from Victoria to Liverpool Street
, tomorrow , Friday . I'll be arriving at Victoria (from Brighton) during
the delightful evening peak - either 1720 ish or 1750 ....
I hate escalators , so I would normally think of using the circle line ,
however , I wonder if a bus would offer a similar journey time , but wonder
about road traffic at that time of night ...
Any thoughts are gratefully received...
TIA

Flob

Why not catch the 1703 Thameslink service from Brighton directly to
London Bridge, arriving at 1807. You can then catch various buses up
to Liverpool Street (journey time 16 minutes) - a much quicker journey
overall.

John

Old December 2nd 04, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I am planning on making the above journey from Victoria to Liverpool
Street , tomorrow , Friday . I'll be arriving at Victoria (from
Brighton) during the delightful evening peak - either 1720 ish or 1750
.... I hate escalators , so I would normally think of using the circle
line , however , I wonder if a bus would offer a similar journey time ,
but wonder about road traffic at that time of night ... Any thoughts
are gratefully received...

Victoria to Euston, crossplatform to Northern down to Moorgate, walk. It's
a very short walk!

Why not catch the 1703 Thameslink service from Brighton directly to
London Bridge, arriving at 1807. You can then catch various buses up to
Liverpool Street (journey time 16 minutes) - a much quicker journey
overall.

Or take the Northern Line from London Bridge to Moorgate, then walk to
Liverpool Street. You might even find that the train wasn't too busy; i
can't imagine there are that many people who work at or south of London
Bridge who live to the north. People will mostly be getting on northbound
trains at Bank or Moorgate.

In general, i'd avoid buses in rush-hour; they're a disaster, in my
experience.

Incidentally, the TfL journey planner's best idea for LB to LS is Northern
to Bank, then Central to LS; i can't find a checkbox for 'don't suggest
completely ludicrous routes'.

However, they do suggest the rather cunning option of walking the whole
way, putting the time at 24 minutes. Their walking times are usually an
overestimate, so this would probably be as quick as the bus, and you
wouldn't have to wait for it. Much, much nicer than sitting in a metal
box, whether on rails or tarmac, as well - you'd walk over the bridge and
right through the heart of the city.

Mind you, given that it's ten past midnight, you won't get this message
before you leave, so it's all moot!

tom

ps I am not in the pay of the shoe industry; i just like walking.

--
We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets
of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a

Old December 3rd 04, 05:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Tom Anderson writes
Victoria to Euston, crossplatform to Northern down to Moorgate,

Not cross-platform. The cross-platform moves are NB-NB and SB-SB.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old December 3rd 04, 05:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

It's ok ... you still have 30 mins or so before I leave ...
Wouldn't the above tube moves involve some escalators though?
They are not my forte !