Old December 3rd 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Travelcard Zone Adjustments

There's a poster at my local station which says that, from 2 Jan 05,
Norbury will be in zone 3 instead of zone 4, and Belmont and Cheam will
be transferred from zone 6 to zone 5. This will be good news to people
who commute from those stations to inner London, but not so good for
those who travel in the opposite direction.

Does anyone know what determines changes like this?

--
John Ray

Old December 3rd 04, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Ray wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 3 Dec 2004:

There's a poster at my local station which says that, from 2 Jan 05,
Norbury will be in zone 3 instead of zone 4, and Belmont and Cheam will
be transferred from zone 6 to zone 5. This will be good news to people
who commute from those stations to inner London, but not so good for
those who travel in the opposite direction.

Does anyone know what determines changes like this?

Probably the amount of money they reckon they can screw out of the p b
commuter.... why else is Streatham in Zone 3, with a huge bump, when
places like Peckham & Lewisham are in zone 2....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 3rd 04, 09:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Ray wrote:

Does anyone know what determines changes like this?

Earth Movement?

.....I'll get my coat

--
Darren
Old December 4th 04, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Travelcard validity (was Travelcard Zone Adjustments)

In ,
John Ray wrote:
There's a poster at my local station which says that, from 2 Jan 05,
Norbury will be in zone 3 instead of zone 4, and Belmont and Cheam
will be transferred from zone 6 to zone 5. This will be good news to
people who commute from those stations to inner London, but not so
good for those who travel in the opposite direction.

Going off at a slight tangent here, but this is Usenet after all

What zone is Sutton in (if any)?

I did have a London Connections map a while ago, but as you say, zones can
change.

Would I be able to get down to there (Sutton or Belmont) from a Z1-6
travelcard issued at Euston (or equivalent) when I get down to London on
Friday (after 10am) - is BR travel allowed back out to these suburbs like I
know it is on the C2C line (from in this instance e.g. Limehouse to
Upminster)?

Many thanks in advance for any help

Stephan
--
Stepahn Bird MChem (Hons) AMRSC

---

Old December 4th 04, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Stephan Bird wrote:

In ,
John Ray wrote:
[...]

Sutton is in Zone 5. Belmont is currently in Zone 6. A Z1-6 travelcard
is valid on National Rail trains to/from Sutton and/or Belmont at the
time you plan to travel, i.e. after 10.00 a.m. on a Friday.

--
John Ray

Old December 4th 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
John Ray wrote:
Stephan Bird wrote:

Going off at a slight tangent here, but this is Usenet after all

What zone is Sutton in (if any)?

I did have a London Connections map a while ago, but as you say,
zones can change.

Would I be able to get down to there (Sutton or Belmont) from a Z1-6
travelcard issued at Euston (or equivalent) when I get down to
London on Friday (after 10am) - is BR travel allowed back out to
these suburbs like I know it is on the C2C line (from in this
instance e.g. Limehouse to Upminster)?

Many thanks in advance for any help

Sutton is in Zone 5. Belmont is currently in Zone 6. A Z1-6 travelcard
is valid on National Rail trains to/from Sutton and/or Belmont at the
time you plan to travel, i.e. after 10.00 a.m. on a Friday.

Thanks, my mental map had Sutton further out than Belmont, for some reason.
I now see the reverse is the case.

Need to decide whether it's worth the extra 3 UKP or so getting a travelcard
now - will probably allow me a bit extra flexibilty so I can get into London
earlier...

Stephan
--
Stephan Bird MChem(Hons) AMRSC

---

Old December 5th 04, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots wrote in message ...
John Ray wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 3 Dec 2004:

There's a poster at my local station which says that, from 2 Jan 05,
Norbury will be in zone 3 instead of zone 4, and Belmont and Cheam will
be transferred from zone 6 to zone 5. This will be good news to people
who commute from those stations to inner London, but not so good for
those who travel in the opposite direction.

Does anyone know what determines changes like this?

Probably the amount of money they reckon they can screw out of the p b
commuter.... why else is Streatham in Zone 3, with a huge bump, when
places like Peckham & Lewisham are in zone 2....

I'm looking at a map, and I can't see anything illogical about those
zonings. Peckham is about half the distance from central London that
Streatham is. Lewisham's a bit more dubious, but to be fair it is on
the 2/3 border. But Streatham looks to be about the right distance out
to be in zone 3. Do you think it should be different?

Jonn
Old December 6th 04, 12:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jonn Elledge wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 5 Dec 2004:

I'm looking at a map, and I can't see anything illogical about those
zonings. Peckham is about half the distance from central London that
Streatham is. Lewisham's a bit more dubious, but to be fair it is on
the 2/3 border. But Streatham looks to be about the right distance out
to be in zone 3. Do you think it should be different?

Well, perhaps not Streatham itself, but why is the zone 2/3 boundary so
relatively far north up the A23? It seems to do a huge bulge northwards
just there..... very irritating! If the border were at the South
Circular, it would make sense.

Old December 6th 04, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

*****
but not so good for
those who travel in the opposite direction.

*****

Why? Am I missing something really obvious here?

Does anyone know what determines changes like this?

--
Nick H (UK)
Old December 6th 04, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nick H (UK)" wrote in message
John Ray wrote:
There's a poster at my local station which says that, from 2 Jan 05,
Norbury will be in zone 3 instead of zone 4, and Belmont and Cheam will
be transferred from zone 6 to zone 5. This will be good news to people
who commute from those stations to inner London,

*****
but not so good for
those who travel in the opposite direction.

*****

Why? Am I missing something really obvious here?

Well anyone who commutes from Norbury to zone 6 will now pay for four zones
(3,4,5,6) instead of three (4,5,6). I am sure though that the vast majority
of travellers go in rather than out and will benefit.

Peter Smyth