Old January 16th 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default East London Line Project Questions

John Rowland wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

As another poster said, the platforms would be adjacent;
however, whether services actually run through from
Wandsworth Road - CJ - Imperial Wharf (& v.v.) is debatable;
for reliability's sake, an Orbirail service may just operate
CJ - Willesden - Dalston - Peckham - CJ and return.
The Circle line is an indicator that circular routes crossing
a variety of junctions perform poorly, as without a proper
terminus it is difficult for them to regain lost time.

The reliability depends on the time allowed at CJ, not on whether trains
return whence they came or proceed around again. (Actually there would be an
impact on reliability of circular trains caused by crossing each other's
path near Clapham Junction, but that would be minor.)

I meant that you can give them X minutes' turnaround at CJ, so if
they're a bit late arriving then they can still leave on time - whereas
on the Circle line they have some time at Aldgate but it doesn't seem to
be enough to counter much late running.

Publicising it as a "true" circular service, through from the SLL to the
WLL, whilst allowing X5 minutes at CJ, would be annoying to passengers
- much like existing waits at Aldgate or (until last week) on the
Heathrow loop. However, I accept that the direction the train departs in
doesn't really matter.

A connection-based approach might allow a relief time at CJ with faster
journeys for through journeys from West to South or vice versa. For
example, the following strategy would allow 7.5 mins' relief at CJ as
part of a 10 min service frequency, whilst only having a 2.5 min wait at
CJ for through passengers:

SLL - Platform 1 (0.0min)
Platform 2 - WLL (2.5min) Train 1
WLL - Platform 2 (5.0min) Train 2
Platform 1 - SLL (7.5min)

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old January 16th 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Peter Masson wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 16 Jan 2005:

What are needed, and I haven't seen any recent proposals, are platforms on
the Atlantic Lines at Brixton - it really is daft that South London Line
trains sail above the top of Brixton without stopping, and have done ever
since East Brixton station was closed in the 1960s (and if it hadn't been
closed then it would have fallen down).

And why don't they make Loughborough Junction a junction when they are
at it..... it seems silly to have a station called a "Junction" when it
isn't, but probably could be rather easily.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old January 16th 05, 10:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

And why don't they make Loughborough Junction
a junction when they are at it..... it seems silly to
have a station called a "Junction" when it isn't,

That would be the main point of the business case

but probably could be rather easily.

The line to Denmark Hill is incredibly curved, and the line to Brixton has
no regular service. I don't know whether the station could be relocated
further north where both lines are straight.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped
It's the size of a county and it comes every two and a half minutes.

Old January 16th 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

What are needed, and I haven't seen any recent proposals, are platforms on
the Atlantic Lines at Brixton - it really is daft that South London Line
trains sail above the top of Brixton without stopping, and have done ever
since East Brixton station was closed in the 1960s (and if it hadn't been
closed then it would have fallen down).

East Brixton closed in 1976. I can see what you meant about it falling down
from the pics on this website...
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...on/index.shtml

Nick P

Old January 16th 05, 10:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:31:57 +0000, Mrs Redboots
wrote:

Peter Masson wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 16 Jan 2005:

What are needed, and I haven't seen any recent proposals, are platforms on
the Atlantic Lines at Brixton - it really is daft that South London Line
trains sail above the top of Brixton without stopping, and have done ever
since East Brixton station was closed in the 1960s (and if it hadn't been
closed then it would have fallen down).

And why don't they make Loughborough Junction a junction when they are
at it..... it seems silly to have a station called a "Junction" when it
isn't, but probably could be rather easily.

Loughborough Junction was a junction in years gone by. The platforms
on the Eastern curve are still in stitu.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. Dick Cavett

Old January 16th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
John Rowland wrote:
The line to Denmark Hill is incredibly curved, and the line to Brixton has
no regular service. I don't know whether the station could be relocated
further north where both lines are straight.

It must've been a proper junction once - the platforms are still there! (To
a lesser or greater extent )

Dave
--
Email: MSN Messenger:
Old January 17th 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 16 Jan 2005:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

And why don't they make Loughborough Junction
a junction when they are at it..... it seems silly to
have a station called a "Junction" when it isn't,

That would be the main point of the business case

but probably could be rather easily.

The line to Denmark Hill is incredibly curved, and the line to Brixton has
no regular service. I don't know whether the station could be relocated
further north where both lines are straight.

Probably not, since where it is at the moment is only just off the A23,
so very convenient for shoppers, the market, etc. The only thing is,
it's so very horrible to access - up an unwatched flight of stairs where
junkies congregate to smoke crack, and alcoholics to drink and get rid
of the surplus... yuck.

Old January 17th 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Peter Masson wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 16 Jan 2005:

What are needed, and I haven't seen any recent proposals, are platforms on
the Atlantic Lines at Brixton - it really is daft that South London Line
trains sail above the top of Brixton without stopping, and have done ever
since East Brixton station was closed in the 1960s (and if it hadn't been
closed then it would have fallen down).

And why don't they make Loughborough Junction a junction when they are
at it..... it seems silly to have a station called a "Junction" when it
isn't, but probably could be rather easily.

Loughborough Junction was a junction in years gone by. The platforms
on the Eastern curve are still in stitu.

I know, which is why they ought to reinstate it!

Old January 17th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

What are needed, and I haven't seen any recent proposals, are platforms

on
the Atlantic Lines at Brixton - it really is daft that South London Line
trains sail above the top of Brixton without stopping, and have done

ever
since East Brixton station was closed in the 1960s (and if it hadn't

been
closed then it would have fallen down).

East Brixton closed in 1976. I can see what you meant about it falling

down
from the pics on this website...
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...on/index.shtml

The map extract on that site is a reminder that Loughborough Junction once
had platforms on all three routes, and Brixton once had platforms on the
Catford Loop as well as the Kent House route. The bronze statues of local
people on the platfroms at Brixton include one who is waiting in vain for a
train to come in from Denmark Hill.

Peter

Old January 17th 05, 03:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 16 Jan 2005:
"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

And why don't they make Loughborough Junction
a junction when they are at it..... it seems silly to
have a station called a "Junction" when it isn't,

I don't know whether the station could be relocated
further north where both lines are straight.

it's so very horrible to access - up an unwatched flight
of stairs where junkies congregate to smoke crack,
and alcoholics to drink and get rid of the surplus... yuck.

You could solve that by relocating it further northward... to Clerkenwell!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped