Old March 12th 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London has a new Underground line

Martin Underwood wrote:
"James" wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/n..._the_way.p hp

(begin quote)
"More Tube delays on the way
Waterloo, City and Northern lines need to be closed for vital

repair work.

By Danny Brierley

LONDONERS have been warned to expect closures on three busy Tube

lines
for months at a time.

Sections of the Waterloo, City and Northern lines need to be

closed
for
vital repair work to be carried out.

And for that matter how do they intend to close a 'section' of the
Waterloo and City line?

Well, I suppose single track with one train would work ;-D

Nah! They'll close one half or the other, so you can go from Waterloo

to a
point underneath the Thames and than have to walk the rest of the way

;-)

Perhaps they'll use the secret platforms at Blackfriars ;-)

Old March 12th 05, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...

Martin Underwood wrote:
"James" wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

[...]

Judging by the distance you have to walk at Bank to get to the W&C I think
the platforms are at Blackfriars already!

Peter Smyth

Old March 12th 05, 02:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Smyth wrote:
"James" wrote in message
ups.com...

Martin Underwood wrote:
"James" wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

[...]

I suppose it is actually that way round. I've always perceived it as
the Central Line being miles away.

Old March 12th 05, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James wrote:
Peter Smyth wrote:
"James" wrote in message
ups.com...

Martin Underwood wrote:
"James" wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

[...]

There is a 3D model of the travelator at Bank in the Depot* of London's
Transport Museum at Acton Town, showing it in relation to the W&C
platforms, the rest of Bank station, and the streets and buildings
above. It is evident that the W&C platforms are some way down Queen
Victoria Street, probably nearer to Mansion House station than Bank.

* next Open Weekend 4/5 June.

--
Richard J.

Old March 13th 05, 05:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:28:45
on Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Richard J. remarked:
There is a 3D model of the travelator at Bank in the Depot* of London's
Transport Museum at Acton Town, showing it in relation to the W&C
platforms, the rest of Bank station, and the streets and buildings
above. It is evident that the W&C platforms are some way down Queen
Victoria Street, probably nearer to Mansion House station than Bank.

There's a map of the W&C at:

http://www.perry.co.uk/maps/

which shows them under Queen Victoria St, but at the Cheapside end.

Old March 14th 05, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I noticed that one of the sections to be closed is the Bank section on
the Northern line. This section was closed for 2 or 3 months in the
summer of 1999. I suppose that it was too much to ask that somebody
could have foreseen the work to be done in 1999.
Two lengthy closures in the space of 5 years smacks of taking the ****
to me.

Kevin

Old March 14th 05, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...
I noticed that one of the sections to be closed is the Bank section on
the Northern line. This section was closed for 2 or 3 months in the
summer of 1999. I suppose that it was too much to ask that somebody
could have foreseen the work to be done in 1999.
Two lengthy closures in the space of 5 years smacks of taking the ****
to me.

The same applies to road closures: I'd like to see a legal requirement on
maintenance companies to do the job right first time so they'll never (or
not for many decades) have to do the job again. Either that or else a rebate
for passengers/drivers who have to endure repeated delays. It'll never
happen, of course...

Old March 14th 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com,
() wrote:

I noticed that one of the sections to be closed is the Bank section on
the Northern line. This section was closed for 2 or 3 months in the
summer of 1999. I suppose that it was too much to ask that somebody
could have foreseen the work to be done in 1999.
Two lengthy closures in the space of 5 years smacks of taking the ****
to me.

Kevin

The reason for the shutdown is to deal with the problems after the work
that was carried out during the original shutdown!.

During the original shutdown, the track was relaid, amongst other things.
Within a few weeks of the section re-opening, temporary speed restrictions
were put in because of the condition of the track. These temporary speed
restrictions are still in place, with the exception of the one departing
Euston City NB which I think was taken out last year.

These speed restrictions made a big difference because they were over long
sections of the track and were quite drastic - 15mph instead of 25mph
between Kennington and Elephant & Castle NB, 15mph instead of 30mph
between Angel and Old Street SB, 20 mph instead of 30/35 mph between
Elephant & Castle and Kennington SB. The one at Euston City NB was, I
think, 20mph instead of 35mph.

The current timetable (TT49) had had an increase in running times to take
many of the "permanent" temporary speed restrictions into account, plus
some other long term ones that since popped up, such as the 20mph
approaching Finchley Central NB.

The only way to sort the problem out was to relay the affected track,
which was a major work.

Hopefully, the work that has been done during the City closures will mean
that these restrictions can be taken away and normal speed running
resumed.

Roger