Old March 31st 05, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Question about Broad Street

In this photo of Broad Street taken in the 60s:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ad_street5.jpg

How come the 2 nearest tracks have 4th rail electrification? Did LT
stock ever run into this terminus?

B2003

Old March 31st 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Boltar writes

In this photo of Broad Street taken in the 60s:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ad_street5.jpg

How come the 2 nearest tracks have 4th rail electrification?

For the North London line's Broad Street to Watford and Broad Street to
Richmond services:

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~gsgleaves/northlondon.htm

Did LT stock ever run into this terminus?

I don't think so. 4th rail was phased out in 1970, IIRC.

--
Paul Terry
Old April 1st 05, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

snip

Talking of Broad Street, what happenned to the services that used to
operate into this station? I also see, from looking elsewhere that
Broad Street had an Underground station. What happenned to this?

Old April 1st 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...
snip

Talking of Broad Street, what happenned to the services that used to
operate into this station? I also see, from looking elsewhere that
Broad Street had an Underground station. What happenned to this?

As I understand it, the Palace Gates to North Woolwich and Richmond to Broad
Street services were merged to become Richmond to North Woolwich. The Palace
Gates branch closed a while ago, so there was presumably a period when there
was just a Dalston Junction (or thereabouts) to North Woolwich shuttle.

Once Broad Street closed, there was no main line access to the North London
Line (ie from a BR-owned terminus); passengers from Central London had to
use tube lines such as the Victoria from KX to Highbury and Islington or the
Northern line from Euston to Kentish Town.

I remember in the 80s or 90s (after Broad Street had closed and the new
offices bult on the site) there was an occasional service from Liverpool
Street via the newly-built Graham Road curve (north of Cambridge Heath) onto
the NLL. I'm not sure whether it went to Richmond or whether it branched off
onto the WCML to go to Watford Junction.

Wasn't the Broad Street underground station simply another exit from
Liverpool Street underground? I can't see any mention in Douglas Rose's map
of a separate station.

Old April 1st 05, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message

Wasn't the Broad Street underground station simply another exit from
Liverpool Street underground? I can't see any mention in Douglas Rose's
map of a separate station.

Still there, AFAIK. It's the exit from the sub-surface lines that emerges in
the street (rather than inside the Liverpool St mainline concourse) by the
Broadgate development.

I think it's peak times only, like the Central Line exit at the East End of
Liverpool Street.

As an aside, I find the 'main' exit from Liverpool Street Underground by far
the /least/ useful.

BTN

Old April 1st 05, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

This is truly obscure, but I couldn't resist posting it - I was in
Stockholm earlier this week and was flabbergasted to find, attached to
the ceiling of an "English pub" (which is incidentally a very common
beast there) a NSE-era (ie blue and white) line diagram from Watford
Junction, which showed the DC line service to Euston, plus peak-hour
services to Liverpool Street (*not* Broad Street). The sign also showed
Primrose Hill and the Croxley Green branch, so that might help in
dating it.

Did NLL services ever run into Liverpool St? I have a reasonable
digital photo of the sign if anyone's interested.

Old April 1st 05, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
In this photo of Broad Street taken in the 60s:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...ad_street5.jpg

How come the 2 nearest tracks have 4th rail electrification? Did LT
stock ever run into this terminus?

Yes and no. I believe that a very long time ago, the District Railway
served Broad St from Kensington Olympia (and probably further
south/east e.g. Mansion House). The service didn't last long and was
probably not electric. It may even have been just though coaches on
someone else's service.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm writing this from memory without
access to a huge library of books!

PhilD

Old April 1st 05, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rupert Candy wrote:

This is truly obscure, but I couldn't resist posting it - I was in
Stockholm earlier this week and was flabbergasted to find, attached to
the ceiling of an "English pub" (which is incidentally a very common
beast there) a NSE-era (ie blue and white) line diagram from Watford
Junction, which showed the DC line service to Euston, plus peak-hour
services to Liverpool Street (*not* Broad Street). The sign also
showed Primrose Hill and the Croxley Green branch, so that might help
in dating it.

Did NLL services ever run into Liverpool St? I have a reasonable
digital photo of the sign if anyone's interested.

Details of the pub would be of interest to someone I know.

Old April 1st 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:

Details of the pub would be of interest to someone I know.

It's called the Pig & Whistle, and it's in the shopping centre on
Medborgarplatsen in Sodermalm. It's full of railway memorabilia,
including a (non-functioning) Platform Tickets machine...