Old October 12th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Access to the Broad Street route

Given my newfound interest in the old Broad Street viaduct, I was
planning on making my way over to the site to see what condition it is
currently in. Has it been fully sealed off and prepped for
refurbishment and construction, or is it still accessible without
trespass?

Also, have TfL and Network Rail worked out how they are going to
conduct the construction of the railway line? The area that the viaduct
runs through is mostly residental, and the predictable noise that will
result from bringing in materials and installing them will undoubtedly
require various forms of mitigation. How will most of the building
materials be brought on site anyway?

Old October 12th 06, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Oct 2006 09:34:53 -0700, "TheOneKEA" wrote:

Given my newfound interest in the old Broad Street viaduct, I was
planning on making my way over to the site to see what condition it is
currently in. Has it been fully sealed off and prepped for
refurbishment and construction, or is it still accessible without
trespass?

There is a further part of Broadgate under construction that must be on
part of the old alignment. This is stretching up towards Great Eastern
Street. I also noticed that the bridge over the eastern end of Old
Street (by Hackney Road / Shoreditch High St) is wrapped in polythene
and the road was narrowed to one lane. This suggests to me that
contractors are very much at work in this area and I'd be surprised if
you could access any of it.

Also, have TfL and Network Rail worked out how they are going to
conduct the construction of the railway line? The area that the viaduct
runs through is mostly residental, and the predictable noise that will
result from bringing in materials and installing them will undoubtedly
require various forms of mitigation. How will most of the building
materials be brought on site anyway?

I thought work had been going on for ages in terms of bridge
rehabilitation etc? Surely some materials have had to reach site - I
imagine via road. While I suspect some of the public may moan once the
substantive work gets under way I suspect most won't notice given they
live beside the not exactly quiet Kingsland Road.

I think this part of the railway will belong to TfL and not Network Rail
BICBW.
--
Paul C

Old October 12th 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

On 12 Oct 2006 09:34:53 -0700, "TheOneKEA" wrote:

Given my newfound interest in the old Broad Street viaduct, I was
planning on making my way over to the site to see what condition it is
currently in. Has it been fully sealed off and prepped for
refurbishment and construction, or is it still accessible without
trespass?

There is a further part of Broadgate under construction that must be on
part of the old alignment. This is stretching up towards Great Eastern
Street. I also noticed that the bridge over the eastern end of Old
Street (by Hackney Road / Shoreditch High St) is wrapped in polythene
and the road was narrowed to one lane. This suggests to me that
contractors are very much at work in this area and I'd be surprised if
you could access any of it.

I can't give a detailed timeline but work is fully under way at several
points along the route from the viaduct up to Dalston. Smaller scale
preparatory work has been going on for a lot longer.

I don't think, technically speaking, it was ever possible to access the
alignment without committing trasspass (not that I really mind about
that on a disused line), and it would've involved climbing up a
drainpipe/over a wall/through a hole in the fence. As the alignment is
now a live construction site ('site' is not really the right term
though is it!?) I'd think that getting onto it now would be a bit more
of a mission!

Also, have TfL and Network Rail worked out how they are going to
conduct the construction of the railway line? The area that the viaduct
runs through is mostly residental, and the predictable noise that will
result from bringing in materials and installing them will undoubtedly
require various forms of mitigation. How will most of the building
materials be brought on site anyway?

I thought work had been going on for ages in terms of bridge
rehabilitation etc? Surely some materials have had to reach site - I
imagine via road. While I suspect some of the public may moan once the
substantive work gets under way I suspect most won't notice given they
live beside the not exactly quiet Kingsland Road.

The ELLP pages allow you to download a 1993 environmental impact
assessment report [1] - this project has been a long time in the
planning, so issues such as mentioned by TheOneKEA have been considerd
extensively.

Regarding the transport of materials to the site - as the curve from
Dalston Junction to the NLL is a late entry to Phase 1 of the ELLX, and
will open a little after the rest of Phase 1, I'd preseum nothing will
be arriving by rail from that end. In which case whatever materials
that do arrive by rail will come over from the mainline New Cross or
New Cross Gate. This could could well help to explain the length of the
ELL closure - expected to be 18 months - as it would be hard to run a
passenger service over lines occupied by works trains.

That said I don't know how much of the materials will come by rail. One
would expect that at the least the actual rail will arrive by that
route before they are layed. One could go so far as to presume that
work on the ELLX will progress from south to north. I should add that
I'm not really too clued up on what the construction plans are - I'm
just guessing!

I think this part of the railway will belong to TfL and not Network Rail
BICBW.

No idea about that. However I can say the ELLX has had an interesting
history (I might have some of these details wrong, so I stand to be
corrected) - it started back in the late 80's as an LU project, later
transferred to be a joint TfL/SRA endeavour, before being fully taken
over by TfL.

-----
[1] "Northern Extension Environmental Statement" from this page:
http://ellp.tfl.gov.uk/ellp.aspx/ell...ormation.shtml

Old October 13th 06, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Mizter T wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

On 12 Oct 2006 09:34:53 -0700, "TheOneKEA" wrote:

How will most of the building materials be brought on site anyway?

I thought work had been going on for ages in terms of bridge
rehabilitation etc? Surely some materials have had to reach site - I
imagine via road.

Regarding the transport of materials to the site - as the curve from
Dalston Junction to the NLL is a late entry to Phase 1 of the ELLX, and
will open a little after the rest of Phase 1, I'd preseum nothing will
be arriving by rail from that end. In which case whatever materials that
do arrive by rail will come over from the mainline New Cross or New
Cross Gate.

Canal! The Regent's Canal runs right into the middle of the northern ELLX;
they can bring things in by barge, unload them there, and distribute them
along the alignment.

I'm not mad, you know!

Wasn't there a plan to use canal barges for something in the Croxley Link
project?

tom

--
Subvert normality.
Old October 13th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

On 12 Oct 2006 09:34:53 -0700, "TheOneKEA" wrote:

How will most of the building materials be brought on site anyway?

I thought work had been going on for ages in terms of bridge
rehabilitation etc? Surely some materials have had to reach site - I
imagine via road.

Regarding the transport of materials to the site - as the curve from
Dalston Junction to the NLL is a late entry to Phase 1 of the ELLX, and
will open a little after the rest of Phase 1, I'd preseum nothing will
be arriving by rail from that end. In which case whatever materials that
do arrive by rail will come over from the mainline New Cross or New
Cross Gate.

Canal! The Regent's Canal runs right into the middle of the northern ELLX;
they can bring things in by barge, unload them there, and distribute them
along the alignment.

Of course it sounds like a great idea - I bet it's been discounted for
some rubbish reason though! Perhaps some stuff will come on the water,
though if it was part of the plan I reckon they'd be making a small
song and dance about it.

I'm not mad, you know!

Copious evidence to the contrary exists!

Wasn't there a plan to use canal barges for something in the Croxley Link
project?

Dunno.