Old May 18th 05, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube power failure at 18:15 on 17 May

At about 18:15 last night there was a power failure which affected
several stations on the Victoria Line and led to some widely separated
lines being closed due to 'power supply problems'. My wife said that
the power at home went off for about a minute - 16 miles from central
London.

Anyone know what happened?

Peter

Old May 18th 05, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"pjcs" wrote in message
oups.com...
At about 18:15 last night there was a power failure which affected
several stations on the Victoria Line and led to some widely separated
lines being closed due to 'power supply problems'. My wife said that
the power at home went off for about a minute - 16 miles from central
London.

Anyone know what happened?

Don't have full details yet but it appears that there was a combine-wide
power surge that knocked out just about everything. At Arnos we lost all
power to Ash House, All stations lost power, the signal main went down and a
load of other stuff as well. The power came back after about 5 seconds but
knock on effects caused problems for the rest of the evening. The main
problem we had was that losing the signal main put all the signals back to
danger and unfortunately VK2 (protects eastbound cross-over from Picc to
Vic) got stabbed as a result. Cue half hour shut down on the east as we get
train authorised past under rule. Which buggered the east end service for
the next 3 hours or so...:-(
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Old May 18th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 May 2005 01:53:51 -0700, "pjcs"
wrote:

At about 18:15 last night there was a power failure which affected
several stations on the Victoria Line and led to some widely separated
lines being closed due to 'power supply problems'. My wife said that
the power at home went off for about a minute - 16 miles from central
London.

Anyone know what happened?

It also affected the circle line. I was on the 1810 from KXTL to
Brighton last night, and the Inspector Sands message came out at about
1805, when all the screens on the Platform A side went blank, and
announcements were made that there were no underground services from
KXStP, advising passengers to go to Farringdon and change there. On
the eastbound circle line there appeared to be a train at every
signal. Nothing moving westwards.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society
Old May 19th 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Good to see the underground is so robust. Makes me feel really
confident
about what would happen with london wide power cut. Still , i'm sure
they had
good reasons other than money to shut down Lots Road.

B2003

Old May 19th 05, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
Good to see the underground is so robust. Makes me feel really
confident
about what would happen with london wide power cut.

Didn't that happen last year? Or was that just a London Wide Tube
powercut?

Old May 20th 05, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Chris! wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 19 May 2005:

Boltar wrote:
Good to see the underground is so robust. Makes me feel really
confident
about what would happen with london wide power cut.

Didn't that happen last year? Or was that just a London Wide Tube
powercut?

That was a London Wide Power Cut - at least, it was a rather patchy one!
Our power went off for 45 minutes, but some areas were devoid of power
for a lot longer than that - and others didn't lose power at all.

This time around, we didn't lose power at all.....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old May 20th 05, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
Good to see the underground is so robust. Makes me feel really
confident
about what would happen with london wide power cut.

Didn't that happen last year? Or was that just a London Wide Tube
powercut?

That was a London Wide Power Cut - at least, it was a rather patchy one!
Our power went off for 45 minutes, but some areas were devoid of power
for a lot longer than that - and others didn't lose power at all.

This time around, we didn't lose power at all.....

That's because this time round it wasn't a power cut as such. Apparently a
power surge caused a transformer on LU's 22KV feed to explode which knocked
out power to the tube for about 5 seconds (the time it took for the back-up
to come on-line) the various delays system wide were caused by the need to
reset various bits of kit and systems.

Old May 21st 05, 01:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

Good to see the underground is so robust. Makes me feel really
confident
about what would happen with london wide power cut.

Didn't that happen last year? Or was that just a London Wide Tube
powercut?

That was a London Wide Power Cut - at least, it was a rather patchy one!
Our power went off for 45 minutes, but some areas were devoid of power
for a lot longer than that - and others didn't lose power at all.

This time around, we didn't lose power at all.....

That's because this time round it wasn't a power cut as such. Apparently a
power surge caused a transformer on LU's 22KV feed to explode which knocked
out power to the tube for about 5 seconds (the time it took for the back-up
to come on-line) the various delays system wide were caused by the need to
reset various bits of kit and systems.

Interesting. I had wondered whether it was related to the blip in our lights at
work (my office is on Great Portland Street) and this seems to suggest that it
may have been.
Old May 22nd 05, 03:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Dulieu wrote:

That's because this time round it wasn't a power cut as such.

Apparently a
power surge caused a transformer on LU's 22KV feed to explode which

knocked
out power to the tube for about 5 seconds (the time it took for the

back-up
to come on-line) the various delays system wide were caused by the

need to
reset various bits of kit and systems.

Whats wrong with providing uninterruptable power to the bits that need
resetting so if there is a power cut / surge in future the only effect
will be a loss of traction?