Old May 25th 05, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Joe Joe is offline

Default Bromley North Line

Is the line between Bromley North & Grove Park single or double Track?

Old May 25th 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

I believe it's double track up until just after Sundridge Park, where
the line then goes single until the double platform at Bromley North...

That is all I can remember of it. I've a quail somewhere but I can't
really find it right now.

Old May 25th 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is the line between Bromley North & Grove Park single or double Track?

AFAIK it is still double track and fully signalled, even though there's
normally only one train on the branch.

Peter

Old May 25th 05, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Joe Joe is offline

AFAIK it is still double track and fully signalled, even though there's
normally only one train on the branch.

Yea, that's why I asked. I was looking at the LDBs and all the trains
seem to be shuttles.
What's the reason for running it as a shuttle, anyone know? Congestion
on the MainLine & other services couldnt be cutBack?

Old May 25th 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
AFAIK it is still double track and fully signalled, even though there's
normally only one train on the branch.

Yea, that's why I asked. I was looking at the LDBs and all the trains
seem to be shuttles.
What's the reason for running it as a shuttle, anyone know? Congestion
on the MainLine & other services couldnt be cutBack?

When there were through trains they were much more lightly loaded than other
Charing Cross and Cannon Street services, and of course running a train to
Bromley North takes a path away from another route. Passengers from Bromley,
at least to the West End, have a faster and much more frequent service from
Bromley South to Victoria. The surprising thing is that the infrastructure
hasn't been reduced to a siding - as has happened to Epsom Downs, while
Crystal Palace - Beckenham Junction was singled before Tramlink became
definite and took over the other half of the formation.

Peter

Old May 25th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

DERWENT Bromley North Line
Wed, 25 May 2005 17:37:22 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Masson"

"Joe" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Bromley North used to be used as an overnight stabling point (and
possibly a day time one as well). The quail map says the platforms are
10 cars (slam) or 8 cars (networker). The time table used to have a
number of trains at the ends of service with first class accomodation
which were CIGs (or VEPs) going for berthing. I think there were extra
sidings in the past - the bus station looks suspiciously like it's
been built on railway land...

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/ and http://prar.fotopic.net/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. --Dick Cavett
Old May 25th 05, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"PRAR" wrote

Bromley North used to be used as an overnight stabling point (and
possibly a day time one as well). The quail map says the platforms are
10 cars (slam) or 8 cars (networker). The time table used to have a
number of trains at the ends of service with first class accomodation
which were CIGs (or VEPs) going for berthing. I think there were extra
sidings in the past - the bus station looks suspiciously like it's
been built on railway land...

The track layout, according to your ASCII, doesn't appear to have changed
since the 1976 London Bridge resignalling, except that the connections
between the branch and the Up and Down Fast south of Grove Park have been
abolished, and all trains now have to run through the Branch Platform.

For a few years after the resignalling there were through trains to and from
Charing Cross in the Monday - Friday peaks, and these needed to pass on the
branch (or in the morning peak by the Down train using the Down Fast
platfrom at Grove Park while the Up used the Branch platfrom). At the time
there were also occasional London Bridge to Bromley North postals (using
emus with the seats turned, IIRC), so there were a few occasions when both
platfroms were needed at Bromley North.

Although I recall (but can't say when) a siding adjacent to platform 2 at
Bromley North (if you've got the numbering right - the August 1975 MR labels
the eastern platfrom as 2) this isn't shown in the track diagram in the Aug
75 MR, and a 1976 WTT doesn't show any trains going for berthing (and the
last arrival at Bromley North is balanced by an ecs from there to Grove Park
shed). VEPs only arrived on the South Eastern Division in about 1973, and
CIGs considerably later than that.

If Bill Hayles is reading this he may have more information.

Peter

Old May 25th 05, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

I remember direct trains from Charing Cross to Bromley North in the
morning peaks in the early 1990s, but that's against the rush hour
flow.

So they were effectively empty stock workings anyway, like some of the
current runs to Hither Green or Beckenham via Catford Bridge. The
reason why these call at a couple of stations rather than just running
empty may be to cover the other rush hour flow from Waterloo to London
Bridge.

Old May 25th 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"MIG" wrote in message
oups.com...
I remember direct trains from Charing Cross to Bromley North in the
morning peaks in the early 1990s, but that's against the rush hour
flow.

So they were effectively empty stock workings anyway, like some of the
current runs to Hither Green or Beckenham via Catford Bridge. The
reason why these call at a couple of stations rather than just running
empty may be to cover the other rush hour flow from Waterloo to London
Bridge.

I've just had another delve in the timetable archive - in 1988 there were
three peak and one or two contra-peak through workings each way, the peak
workings at about 40 minute intervals. As well as these, there were branch
shuttles at about 10 minute intervals in the peaks. By 1991 the through
trains had disappeared, but the shuttles were still at about 10 minute
intervals, so there were two trains on the branch at a time.

IIRC the through peak trains were reduced from 20 to 40 minute headways at
the time when the Hastings line was electrified, half the paths being given
up for through Charing Cross to Hastings trains.

Peter

Bromley North ken London Transport 4 July 12th 14 08:04 PM
Large UXB in Bromley-by-Bow Mizter T London Transport 45 June 11th 08 09:56 PM
North London Line update Paul G London Transport 15 June 17th 06 12:39 AM
Improvements to the North London Line [email protected] London Transport 39 June 22nd 05 09:37 PM
District Line tunnel visible in building site on north side of Victoria Street John Rowland London Transport 1 January 31st 04 12:03 AM