Old May 25th 05, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Bromley North Line

"Joe" wrote
Yea, that's why I asked. I was looking at the LDBs and all the trains
seem to be shuttles.
What's the reason for running it as a shuttle, anyone know? Congestion
on the MainLine & other services couldnt be cutBack?

The Bromley North branch also suffers from being on the "fast" side of the
layout at Grove Park - a bit like Coulsdon North on the Brighton line, which
closed largely, I think, as a result of the local (slow) and through (fast)
lines being swapped over in the 1980's, leaving it awkwardly situated.

Old May 26th 05, 07:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 May 2005 07:53:46 -0700, "Joe"
wrote:

Is the line between Bromley North & Grove Park single or double Track?

The line is double tracked apart from Grove Park bay platform. It is
fully signalled and can be placed into automatic working so that the
one trains movements operatethe signals.

Last year during closer of the mainline and services to Victoria via
Bromley South. A Service was run Bromley North to Victoria.

Life without sex just isn't life.
Make love not war!
Old May 26th 05, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:55:37 +0100, PRAR wrote:

Bromley North used to be used as an overnight stabling point (and
possibly a day time one as well). The quail map says the platforms are
10 cars (slam) or 8 cars (networker). The time table used to have a
number of trains at the ends of service with first class accomodation
which were CIGs (or VEPs) going for berthing. I think there were extra
sidings in the past - the bus station looks suspiciously like it's
been built on railway land...

My main knowledge of the branch was in the 1980s, when I was a guard
at Grove Park. By then, the freight yard had disappeared, but it
was still the railhead for Bromley's mail, and had several mail
trains a day (simply normal EPB units with the seat cushions turned
back!). There were the through trains, and a ten car unit was
stabled between the peaks. The connection with the up and down fast
was still there, and used in the evening peak. No stock was stabled
overnight, but there were some interesting early morning movements.

During the peaks, as well as the through trains, there were two
"poppers" shuttling back and forth - all in all a busy branch.

--
Bill Hayles
http://www.rossrail.com

Old May 26th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

John Salmon wrote:
"Joe" wrote
Yea, that's why I asked. I was looking at the LDBs and all the trains
seem to be shuttles.
What's the reason for running it as a shuttle, anyone know? Congestion
on the MainLine & other services couldnt be cutBack?

The Bromley North branch also suffers from being on the "fast" side of the
layout at Grove Park - a bit like Coulsdon North on the Brighton line, which
closed largely, I think, as a result of the local (slow) and through (fast)
lines being swapped over in the 1980's, leaving it awkwardly situated.

Coulsdon North was always off the fast (Quarry) line - the 1980s
changes didn't alter tracks in that area. What they did do was
rationalise the arrangements between S. Croydon & Windmill
Bridge/Gloucester Rd.

I thought Coulsdon N closed because Smitham (next door) could perform
its functions very adequately.

Mike

Old May 26th 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"mmellor" wrote

Coulsdon North was always off the fast (Quarry) line - the 1980s
changes didn't alter tracks in that area. What they did do was
rationalise the arrangements between S. Croydon & Windmill
Bridge/Gloucester Rd.

I'm not sure that's quite right. IIRC the local lines ran on the west side
of the formation from Windmill Bridge Junction right through to Coulsdon
North. The Quarry Lines took off from the Through Lines at Stoats Nest (just
north of Coulsdon), but it was possible for trains to run into and out of
Coulsdon North on the Local Lines without conflicting with trains running
between the Through Lines and the Quarry Lines.

I thought Coulsdon N closed because Smitham (next door) could perform
its functions very adequately.

When the track rationalisation was carried out, it was much easier for local
trains on the Slow Lines on the east of the formation to reach Smitham than
it would have been for them to get to Coulsdon North.

Peter

Old May 26th 05, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"mmellor" wrote

Coulsdon North was always off the fast (Quarry) line

Agreed.

- the 1980s
changes didn't alter tracks in that area. What they did do was
rationalise the arrangements between S. Croydon & Windmill
Bridge/Gloucester Rd.

So what route (i.e. which right-hand crossovers) did fast services (in both
directions) take between the Quarry lines and the former "through" platforms
(4 & 5?) at East Croydon? I had assumed the move was made at Stoats Nest,
but if it was actually at South Croydon, then I concede that you're right.

I thought Coulsdon N closed because Smitham (next door) could perform
its functions very adequately.

I agree that they used that reason to justify the closure - the Smitham
terminators date from that time, I think.

Old May 26th 05, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"John Salmon" wrote

So what route (i.e. which right-hand crossovers) did fast services (in

both
directions) take between the Quarry lines and the former "through"

platforms
(4 & 5?) at East Croydon? I had assumed the move was made at Stoats Nest,

That is correct. When the layout was rationalised, one of the changes was
relaying the Stoats Nest crossovers. Previously, travelling south, they ran
from the old Through Lines (eastern pair) to the Quarry Lines. Afterwards
they ran from the new Fast Lines (western pair) to the old line through
Redhill.

Peter

Old May 28th 05, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Peter Masson wrote:
"John Salmon" wrote

So what route (i.e. which right-hand crossovers) did fast services (in

both
directions) take between the Quarry lines and the former "through"

platforms
(4 & 5?) at East Croydon? I had assumed the move was made at Stoats Nest,

That is correct. When the layout was rationalised, one of the changes was
relaying the Stoats Nest crossovers. Previously, travelling south, they ran
from the old Through Lines (eastern pair) to the Quarry Lines. Afterwards
they ran from the new Fast Lines (western pair) to the old line through
Redhill.

Peter

Up non-stoppers went through platform 1 (the westernmost platform) at
East Croydon, though. Both pairs had both fast trains and stoppers
(Victoria-Coulsdon N on the western pair, Charing X-Caterham?Tattenham
Corner on the eastern).

Mike

Old May 28th 05, 06:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 28 May 2005 02:47:11 -0700, "mmellor" wrote:

Up non-stoppers went through platform 1 (the westernmost platform) at
East Croydon, though. Both pairs had both fast trains and stoppers
(Victoria-Coulsdon N on the western pair, Charing X-Caterham?Tattenham
Corner on the eastern).

Is it my imagination, or were there through lines between platforms 2
and 3 (and maybe 4 and 5) in the past?
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society
Old May 29th 05, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Terry Harper wrote:
On 28 May 2005 02:47:11 -0700, "mmellor" wrote:

Up non-stoppers went through platform 1 (the westernmost platform) at
East Croydon, though. Both pairs had both fast trains and stoppers
(Victoria-Coulsdon N on the western pair, Charing X-Caterham?Tattenham
Corner on the eastern).

Is it my imagination, or were there through lines between platforms 2
and 3 (and maybe 4 and 5) in the past?

There was a non-platform road between patforms 2 & 3, but I think it
was just a siding. From memory, there wasn't enough room for another
track between the platform ends under the station building.

Mike

Bromley North ken London Transport 4 July 12th 14 08:04 PM
Large UXB in Bromley-by-Bow Mizter T London Transport 45 June 11th 08 09:56 PM
North London Line update Paul G London Transport 15 June 17th 06 12:39 AM
Improvements to the North London Line [email protected] London Transport 39 June 22nd 05 09:37 PM
District Line tunnel visible in building site on north side of Victoria Street John Rowland London Transport 1 January 31st 04 12:03 AM