Old December 20th 08, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default district line closing time

Hi,

what time does the district line close?? I'm planning to visit London
to attend a football match on late February and I was told to get off at
fulham broadway to get to the Chelsea's stadium. The thing is, I'd like
to get the train back to my hotel when the match is over (10pm?) in
order not to bump up into "strange" ppl asking for trouble...

thanks ever so much

NB: how long does it take to get to the Stadium from the fulham broadway
subway station on foot?

Old December 20th 08, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Larry
writes

what time does the district line close??

Last train from Fulham Broadway that connects with other services at
Earl Court is 4 minutes past midnight on Mondays to Saturdays, although
there are other (non-connecting) trains for another hour after that.

I'm planning to visit London
to attend a football match on late February and I was told to get off at
fulham broadway to get to the Chelsea's stadium. The thing is, I'd like
to get the train back to my hotel when the match is over (10pm?) in
order not to bump up into "strange" ppl asking for trouble...

It takes about 10 minutes normally, although it could be slower given
the large crowds that go to Chelsea. But you would be in no danger of
missing the last train.

--
Paul Terry
Old December 20th 08, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Paul Terry wrote:

But you would be in no danger of
missing the last train.

well, that cheers me up a lot!

I'm planning to get to London by the Eurostar train from Paris. The
train stops at the St. Pancras International station; so the King's
Cross St. Pancras subway station should be nearby. How do I get to the
Fulham Broadway station? How much is it?

Do you think the St. Pancras International station is a nice play to
have a meal and take some rest?

thanks
Old December 20th 08, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Larry) wrote:

In article ,
Paul Terry wrote:

But you would be in no danger of missing the last train.

well, that cheers me up a lot!

I'm planning to get to London by the Eurostar train from Paris. The
train stops at the St. Pancras International station; so the King's
Cross St. Pancras subway station should be nearby. How do I get to
the Fulham Broadway station? How much is it?

Do you think the St. Pancras International station is a nice play
to have a meal and take some rest?

At a price! There are a few more reasonable alternatives across the road
from King's Cross station next door, including a pleasant enough noodle
bar cum takeaway.

You have a choice from King's Cross St Pancras tube to Fulham Broadway.
Either the Circle or Hammersmith and City Lines westbound to Paddington
(Circle) or Edgware Road, changing to a District train from Edgware Road
to Wimbledon. The advantage of the Circle in particular and this route in
general is that the change at Paddington is on the same platform and that
at Edgware Road is often cross-platform. Sometimes you have to cross the
bridge there, though, hence my preference for Paddington if a Circle Line
train comes first at King's Cross.

The other route is to take the Victoria Line from King's Cross St Pancras
tube to Victoria and change to the District Line there. If the first train
if not for Wimbledon, take the first (but not a Circle train) to Earl's
Court and change to a Wimbledon train there.

The other reason for preferring the first option above on a night when
Chelsea are playing at home is that you won't get a seat on a train you
get on at Earl's Court but your probably will at Edgware Road or
Paddington!

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 20th 08, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, wrote:

In article ,
(Larry) wrote:

In article ,
Paul Terry wrote:

But you would be in no danger of missing the last train.

well, that cheers me up a lot!

I'm planning to get to London by the Eurostar train from Paris. The
train stops at the St. Pancras International station; so the King's
Cross St. Pancras subway station should be nearby. How do I get to
the Fulham Broadway station? How much is it?

Do you think the St. Pancras International station is a nice play
to have a meal and take some rest?

At a price! There are a few more reasonable alternatives across the road
from King's Cross station next door, including a pleasant enough noodle
bar cum takeaway.

And a terrific Ethiopian, five minutes' walk up Caledonian Road.

You have a choice from King's Cross St Pancras tube to Fulham Broadway.
Either the Circle or Hammersmith and City Lines westbound to Paddington
(Circle) or Edgware Road, changing to a District train from Edgware Road
to Wimbledon. The advantage of the Circle in particular and this route
in general is that the change at Paddington is on the same platform and
that at Edgware Road is often cross-platform. Sometimes you have to
cross the bridge there, though, hence my preference for Paddington if a
Circle Line train comes first at King's Cross.

This would also be my first choice of route.

The other route is to take the Victoria Line from King's Cross St
Pancras tube to Victoria and change to the District Line there. If the
first train if not for Wimbledon, take the first (but not a Circle
train) to Earl's Court and change to a Wimbledon train there.

Or Piccadilly from KX to Earl's Court. It's slower than the Victoria
option, but avoids changing at Victoria. I mention it largely for
completeness!

tom

--
Beware! Inside pie, there are chickens, gamecubes, Moltres, Raichu,
and bacteria(in a good way!) -- Wikipedia

Old December 20th 08, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Larry wrote:

Do you think the St. Pancras International station is a nice play to
have a meal and take some rest?

Apparently the station is now surrounded by lots of new French restaurants.

Old December 20th 08, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Dec, 14:51, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Larry wrote:

Do you think the St. Pancras International station is a nice play to
have a meal and take some rest?

Apparently the station is now surrounded by lots of new French restaurants.

Eurostar shooting themselves in the foot there somewhat...
Old December 20th 08, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Dec, 13:32, wrote:

In article ,
(Larry) wrote:

In article ,
*Paul Terry wrote:

[...]

May I present Larry with the Tube map so he can visualise his
potential routes...

Tube map as a GIF image:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.gif

Tube map as a PDF:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

The latter PDF version has an overlay of grid squares - Kings Cross
St. Pancras is in square C5, Fulham Broadway is in square E3.

Circle line is yellow, District line is green, Victoria line is light
blue, Piccadilly line is dark blue.

I think Colin Rosenstiel basically covers everything. I would be
somewhat minded to avoid changing at Edgware Road - those times I have
done so I've found it confusing and seen many others looking rather
befuddled, and I'm not really one to get confused by such things! To
avoid doing this, as Colin says you can take a Circle line train to
Paddington, alight and then wait for a District line train to
Wimbledon which will take you to Fulham Broadway. Note that the Circle
line only has a frequency of every 10 minutes though.

The other route, not mentioned by Colin but separately by Tom
Anderson, is to take a Piccadilly line train to Earl's Court and then
change for a District line train towards Wimbledon. The Piccadilly is
likely to be very busy, though all trains will be busy at this time.

Note that the Circle and District lines run close to the surface and
use larger trains. The Piccadilly and Victoria line trains are at a
much deeper level and are proper tube lines in that the tunnels and
trains are both tube shaped.

Also note that the system here is not referred to as the subway but as
the Underground (even though bits of it go above ground) or the Tube
(even though only some lines are true tube lines).

Fares - you should buy yourself a zones 1&2 Day Travelcard at a cost
of £5.30 this year - the price will rise to £5.60 next year. This will
cover you for unlimited journeys on the Underground in zones 1&2 -
i.e. the central area - plus all London buses. This is your cheapest
option, unless you are in possession of an Oyster smart card - but you
shouldn't get one of them just for this trip.

If you want to be really smart and avoid the ever present queues at
the Underground station, you can actually buy this zones 1&2 Day
Travelcard from the mainline rail ticket offices at St Pancras - there
are two of them both signed as "UK Rail Tickets", both can sell you
this ticket though the one on the left (run by "First Capital
Connect") will likely serve you more quickly should there be a queue.
(Note that these ticket clerks will not have an intimate knowledge of
the Underground system.)

And lastly, I wouldn't expect any real trouble visiting the match -
some high-spirited behaviour will be in evidence I'm sure, but not any
actual trouble. (Unless you're going to be sat at the wrong end!)
Old December 20th 08, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On 20 Dec, 14:51, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Larry wrote:

Do you think the St. Pancras International station is a nice play to
have a meal and take some rest?

Apparently the station is now surrounded by lots of new French
restaurants.

Eurostar shooting themselves in the foot there somewhat...

Eurostar doesn't own all of the shops in the Kings Cross area.

Old December 20th 08, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
Mizter T wrote:

Fares - you should buy yourself a zones 1&2 Day Travelcard at a cost
of £5.30 this year - the price will rise to £5.60 next year. This will
cover you for unlimited journeys on the Underground in zones 1&2 -
i.e. the central area - plus all London buses.

I cannot thank you all enough!!

I was wondering if there was any bus to get to the Fulham Broadway area
at first to enjoy the views since is my first time visiting London. I'll
take the tube to get to the King's Cross Station when the match is over.