Old July 18th 03, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Chancery Lane

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes

In article , Matthew
Malthouse writes

But it makes me curious, why did it get named Chancery Lane rather than
Grey's Inn Road at the foot of which it stands?

As others have said, the station entrance has moved. I looked around
there a day or two ago and couldn't see any obvious site for the
original station. The escalators descend about 20m in total, so that's
35m horizontal distance. The platforms are about 100m long, so
altogether the lift shafts were perhaps 100m west of Gray's Inn Road,
and thus nearer Chancery Lane.

That is confirmed by my 1905 Post Office Directory Map, which shows the
station on a corner site facing Southampton Buildings - see

http://www.musonix.demon.co.uk/temp/Chancery.jpg

I've highlighted the site in red - it is just about exactly 100m west of
Chancery Lane. Its a while since I've been around that part of town, but
ISTR there is now a post office on or very close to the station site.
--
Paul Terry

Old July 18th 03, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Terry
writes

I've highlighted the site in red - it is just about exactly 100m west
of Chancery Lane.

Tut - of course I meant west of Grays Inn Road - and thus originally
very much nearer to Chancery Lane than it is now.

--
Paul Terry
Old July 19th 03, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The original entrance building still stands at the junction of Holborn and
Fullwood place. It was reused as the entrance to the now redundant Kingsway
telephone exchange, which is located under Chancery lane station. see
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/k/kingsway/ for details.

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In article , Matthew
Malthouse writes
} How dare they call that station Chancery Lane
} Nowhere flippin near it
177 meters from it.

Very precise. From which street-level entrance, and from which corner of
the stairway?

But it makes me curious, why did it get named Chancery Lane rather than
Grey's Inn Road at the foot of which it stands?

As others have said, the station entrance has moved. I looked around
there a day or two ago and couldn't see any obvious site for the
original station. The escalators descend about 20m in total, so that's
35m horizontal distance. The platforms are about 100m long, so
altogether the lift shafts were perhaps 100m west of Gray's Inn Road,
and thus nearer Chancery Lane.

[Given that the CLR were trying to attract high class custom, I suspect
that "Chancery Lane", with the implications of the law courts, was a
more attractive-sounding name.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: