Old July 13th 03, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Chancery Lane

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:35:30 +0100 Seanie O'Kilfoyle wrote:
}
} "CJG" wrote in message
} ...
} Rather Ironically the head of London Underground leaves on the same day
} that the report on L.U's pathetic handling of the whole Chancery Lane
}
} I went there the other night
}
} How dare they call that station Chancery Lane
}
} Nowhere flippin near it

177 meters from it.

But it makes me curious, why did it get named Chancery Lane rather than
Grey's Inn Road at the foot of which it stands?

Matthew
--
Il est important d'être un homme ou une femme en colère; le jour où nous
quitte la colère, ou le désir, c'est cuit. - Barbara

http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/

Old July 13th 03, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Matthew Malthouse wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:35:30 +0100 Seanie O'Kilfoyle wrote:
}
} "CJG" wrote in
message } ...
} Rather Ironically the head of London Underground
leaves on the same day } that the report on L.U's
pathetic handling of the whole Chancery Lane }
} I went there the other night
}
} How dare they call that station Chancery Lane
}
} Nowhere flippin near it

177 meters from it.

But it makes me curious, why did it get named Chancery Lane
rather than Grey's Inn Road at the foot of which it stands?

Matthew

Because "Grey's Inn Road" doesn't exist.

Old July 13th 03, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Matthew Malthouse writes
} How dare they call that station Chancery Lane
}
} Nowhere flippin near it

177 meters from it.

But it makes me curious, why did it get named Chancery Lane rather than
Grey's Inn Road at the foot of which it stands?

The current entrance to Chancery Lane is not the station's original
entrance - it was re-sited when escalators were installed back in the
1930s. As I'm sure you can appreciate, lifts go directly up and down
and escalators don't - so a new entrance might have to be situated quite
some distance away from the original. This was done more recently at
Angel, where the new entrance is about 100m away from the old entrance.

When escalators were installed at Green Park and Hyde Park Corner (also
in the 1930s), the station entrances were moved closer together - so
close that they were able to close Down Street station (which was
between the two) altogether.

--
Dave
Old July 14th 03, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:49:43 +0000 (UTC) Cast_Iron wrote:
} Matthew Malthouse wrote:
} On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:35:30 +0100 Seanie O'Kilfoyle wrote:
} }
} } "CJG" wrote in
} message } ...
} } Rather Ironically the head of London Underground
} leaves on the same day } that the report on L.U's
} pathetic handling of the whole Chancery Lane }
} } I went there the other night
} }
} } How dare they call that station Chancery Lane
} }
} } Nowhere flippin near it
}
} 177 meters from it.
}
} But it makes me curious, why did it get named Chancery Lane
} rather than Grey's Inn Road at the foot of which it stands?
}
} Because "Grey's Inn Road" doesn't exist.

Okay. Gray's Inn Road then.

Sheesh, some people...

Matthew

Old July 14th 03, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:01:34 +0100 Dave wrote:
} Matthew Malthouse writes
} } How dare they call that station Chancery Lane
} }
} } Nowhere flippin near it
}
} 177 meters from it.
}
} But it makes me curious, why did it get named Chancery Lane rather than
} Grey's Inn Road at the foot of which it stands?
}
} The current entrance to Chancery Lane is not the station's original
} entrance - it was re-sited when escalators were installed back in the
} 1930s. As I'm sure you can appreciate, lifts go directly up and down
} and escalators don't - so a new entrance might have to be situated quite
} some distance away from the original. This was done more recently at
} Angel, where the new entrance is about 100m away from the old entrance.

Haha! Thank you. I didn't know that the station entrance wasn't the
original, although I should have thought of it.

Matthew

Old July 15th 03, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:42:42 +0000 (UTC) Cast_Iron wrote:
} Matthew Malthouse wrote:
} On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:01:34 +0100 Dave wrote:
} } Matthew Malthouse writes
} } } How dare they call that station Chancery Lane
} } }
} } } Nowhere flippin near it
} }
} } 177 meters from it.
} }
} } But it makes me curious, why did it get named Chancery
} Lane rather than } Grey's Inn Road at the foot of which
} it stands? }
} } The current entrance to Chancery Lane is not the
} station's original } entrance - it was re-sited when
} escalators were installed back in the } 1930s. As I'm
} sure you can appreciate, lifts go directly up and down }
} and escalators don't - so a new entrance might have to be
} situated quite } some distance away from the original.
} This was done more recently at } Angel, where the new
} entrance is about 100m away from the old entrance.
}
} Haha! Thank you. I didn't know that the station entrance
} wasn't the original, although I should have thought of it.
}
} Are you capable?

What is this? Jump on Matthew week?

Matthew

Old July 15th 03, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

.. .
} Matthew Malthouse wrote:
[...]

Please, don't take such things personally. some people like jumping on
anyone and everyone. :-)

Old July 15th 03, 06:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:29:39 +0000 (UTC) Cast_Iron wrote:
}
} .. .
} } Matthew Malthouse wrote:
} } On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:01:34 +0100 Dave wrote:
} } } Matthew Malthouse writes
} } } } How dare they call that station Chancery Lane
} } } }
} } } } Nowhere flippin near it
} } }
} } } 177 meters from it.
} } }
[...]

That's fine as long as it'e between consenting adults.

Matthew

Old July 18th 03, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 07:28:09 +0100 Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
} In article , Matthew
} Malthouse writes
} } How dare they call that station Chancery Lane
} } Nowhere flippin near it
} 177 meters from it.
}
} Very precise. From which street-level entrance, and from which corner of
} the stairway?

LOL

Not *that* precise. From as near as I could judge the west stair
on the south side of Holborn to the east corner of Chancery Lane's
junction with Holborn - using Streetmap.co.uk and their "convert"
facility. I could have calculated it from the grid reference, but since
that's what I suspect streetmap does anyway it'd have been rather
redundant.

Matthew