Old June 21st 05, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow Express etc. Today (Sun 19/6)

In message , Dr Ivan D. Reid
writes
You do know how long it takes to get from Uxbridge to Heathrow
via
the Picc, do you not? Not forgetting the time it takes to actually get
to Uxbridge in the first place.

Now **** off!

Your eloquence astounds me. I bet you're students learn lots from you.

Thankfully I don't have students, and thankfully my English is a
lot better than yours. Now crawl back under your rock; only another
million years' evolution and you might pose a threat to pond scum.

I understand it's normal for people who feel insignificant to be
abusive. As you say your english is O.K., perhaps it's in the trouser
department. See a doctor, he'll reassure you.
--
Clive

Old June 22nd 05, 12:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes
"Mrs Redboots"

Whilst I don't remember being abusive to anyone, I'd like to see a
picture of these famous red boots. Care to display them on a website?
--
Clive
Old June 22nd 05, 12:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Terry
writes
In message .com,
Boltar writes

Because it is correct to do so. "Boltar's evolution" would be correct
grammatically, therefore "a million years' evolution" is also correct.

Actually its not. Years is a plural , its not in the genetive case

It is very clearly a (plural) genitive - note spelling of genitive

in that instance otherwise it would mean "a million evolution of year"

No. The plural genitive means, in this case, "a million years of
evolution".

It is much the same as expressing the phrase "four weeks of drought" as
"four weeks' drought".

Some of us may be thinking you missed a crucial lesson in grammar
Anyway, I have no intention of being rude, but see if you can spot the
difference between these two clauses:

The boys' coats are over there.
The boy's coats are over there.

As I'm sure you spotted, the difference between s' and 's totally
changes the meaning of the expression.

I suppose that when we fall into a slanging match about english (an
evolving language) it keeps minds of the subject in hand and provides
diversion.
--
Clive
Old June 22nd 05, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 22 Jun 2005:

In message , Mrs
Redboots writes
"Mrs Redboots"

Whilst I don't remember being abusive to anyone, I'd like to see a
picture of these famous red boots. Care to display them on a website?

Haven't one - a picture of the eponymous boots (actually, they are
boot-covers, not boots) at the moment, alas.....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old June 28th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 00:55:27 +0100, Clive
wrote in :
In message , Dr Ivan D. Reid
writes
You do know how long it takes to get from Uxbridge to Heathrow
via
the Picc, do you not? Not forgetting the time it takes to actually get
to Uxbridge in the first place.

Now **** off!

Your eloquence astounds me. I bet you're students learn lots from you.

Thankfully I don't have students, and thankfully my English is a
lot better than yours. Now crawl back under your rock; only another
million years' evolution and you might pose a threat to pond scum.

I understand it's normal for people who feel insignificant to be
abusive.

Which is how this started.

As you say your english is O.K.

You'd never believe I'd only been in the country five years, eh?

, perhaps it's in the trouser
department. See a doctor, he'll reassure you.

Exsqueeze me? *I'm* abusive? You've been misreading the
attributions, Shirley. Wotz'iz face started casting nasturtiums, I was
just pointing out how childish he was.

And anyway, I *am* a doctor -- which is what started all of this
anyway... :-/

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Old June 28th 05, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Jun 2005 04:50:13 -0700, Boltar
wrote in .com:

If your english is so good , perhaps you can explain why you put an
apostrophe after "years". Also , perhaps you might want to consider what
Uxbridge Poly , sorry , I mean "Brunel University" would make of their
postgrads using their facilities to tell other people to **** off and
calling them pond scum.

"Usenet is a robust medium which is intended for use by adults."[0]

Try it, if you think you can make it stick.

And make up your bloody mind, are you envious of me because I'm a
Doctor or because I'm a postgrad? The terms are usually used exclusively.
(And one of them is therefore wrong in relation to my good self, of course.)

I see the pedants' brigade has already adequately answered your
English question in my absence[1]. Now, we need to work on your
capitalisation!

[0] http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/produc...iscussion.html
-- et al.
[1] Danke sehr, PB!

Old June 28th 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Dr Ivan D. Reid
writes
And anyway, I *am* a doctor -- which is what started all of this
anyway... :-/

What has being a doctor got to do with the size (or lack on it) of your
equipment? What are you a doctor of? Bull****?
--
Clive
Old June 29th 05, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

You are an utter prick.

Old June 29th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

And make up your bloody mind, are you envious of me because I'm a Doctor or because I'm a postgrad?

You've had a week to think up a repost and thats the best you can do?
No wonder you're still at a poly and haven't got a job in the real
world.

The terms are usually used exclusively.

I'm attempting to give a ****.....

Nope , didn't happen.

B2003

Old June 29th 05, 04:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
You are an utter prick.

So are people who don't provide any clue about which message or person
they are replying to.
--
Richard J.